So it actually is Friday today...

C

Chris Ford

I'm sure we've all been so busy before, we forgot what day of the week it was.

How many times - countless I'm sure - have you gone through a day telling yourself, "It can't be Wednesday... it feels like Friday".

My entire calendar exists on my computer. I don't even use clocks around the house. I've got my cell phone that tells me what time it is anywhere I go, so I don't need a watch. Clocks on the wall are useless and unreliable, and if I really need to know what time it is I can look at my computer or my cell phone anyway.

So my IT guy comes over on Wednesday (5/27) to do some "serious Windows work." During the course of this serious work, he had to set the clock back on my computer. When he reset it, he accidentally set the date to 5/28. I didn't notice. I woke up yesterday morning and noticed it was Friday. Woo hoo! Felt like that holiday weekend really shortened my week, but I'm not complaining... in fact, I think I'll take half the day off... which is what I did. I got a lot accomplished this week, and I'm ahead of schedule, so why not?

It wasn't until about 5:30 in the afternoon when I figured out what day it really was!

But, since today is actually Friday, I've decided to consider yesterday a dry run of sorts. It was a dress rehearsal... preparation for the actual Friday of the week. I'll take that half-day, Friday afternoon off, thank you very much!

Besides, it's not such a bad thing forgetting what day it is. Sometimes we all need to forget what day it is and just "be"... throw the calendar aside and do something without thinking about what day it is. Days of the week are highly overrated anyway!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
...My entire calendar exists on my computer. I don't even use clocks around the house. I've got my cell phone that tells me what time it is anywhere I go, so I don't need a watch. Clocks on the wall are useless and unreliable, and if I really need to know what time it is I can look at my computer or my cell phone anyway....
A little :topic: but your comment reminded me of something that happened last Saturday...

I was shooting photos at my godchild's outdoor wedding and asked the groom to look at his watch with an expression of incredulity on his face or a similar look to express the idea that here he is waiting on a woman - yet again.

What does the groom do? Pulls out his Blackberry (or similar device) and looks at it! :lmao: Needless to say, this didn't quite convey the same thought I was going for with the watch idea. :rolleyes:

I had a similar, related thought.

One of my sons is 21 this year, so I'd been planning what to by him to mark this major milestone. It has been a tradition to be presented a nice watch, (I have a limited edition Omega) but on reflection, my son wouldn't know what to do with one and he hasn't developed a taste for jewelry or similar accessories! He uses his iPhone for everything!:bonk:

I was looking forward to carrying on this tradition and here, at the hands of technology, it has died! Somehow, things aren't going to be the same.....:(

C

Chris Ford

I had a similar, related thought.

One of my sons is 21 this year, so I'd been planning what to by him to mark this major milestone. It has been a tradition to be presented a nice watch, (I have a limited edition Omega) but on reflection, my son wouldn't know what to do with one and he hasn't developed a taste for jewelry or similar accessories! He uses his iPhone for everything!:bonk:

I was looking forward to carrying on this tradition and here, at the hands of technology, it has died! Somehow, things aren't going to be the same.....:(
I was thinking the same thing. I never liked wearing a watch though (or other jewelry for that matter). I went through a phase where I wore a watch and/or a bracelet and even a ring... ahhhh the 80's. LOL

Of course... I also went through a phase where I wore a mohawk, and six piercings on my face! Yikes!

I remember traveling on business trips, stopping to use a pay phone, or getting off a plane, needing to make a call, but all of the phones were in use and people were waiting in line. Now, well.... more than half of those pay phones are gone, and the remaining are seldom used.

I do miss the old days when I didn't feel the need to be so reachable. I know too many people who rely so heavily on their technology, it becomes a little scary. I have a friend. He's in his mid-30's and he's insanely crazy over a woman who hasn't the slightest interest in him. He's one of those "needy" kind of guys - but he's a friend all the same. At any rate, he goes into a complete panic if he can't reach her. He literally seems to think that he should have some sort of direct connection at all times! Anyway, the other day he called her a couple of times, and left a message both times. Then he text messaged her a few times, followed by an email. All over the course of about six hours I think. The icing on the cake is all of those attempts to reach her were made to the same device!

That's a little stalker-ish, and yes, I've talked to him about this kind of stuff. But I know a lot of people who to a certain degree have come to rely on cell phones and technology as an umbilical cord, so to speak.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm surprised your computer didn't auto-set the time and date. It must be very locked down.

All the clocks in my house (except microwave and stove clocks) tune in once a day to the NIST radio station to get their time and date, and my computers get their time and date from one of 2 internet servers.

C

Craig H.

You too... lucky for me, I get two Friday's this week!
I guess the real question is if you had a chance to have the first drink of the weekend before 5:30 yesterday evening?:D

Oh, and on the other topic, I guess I am a dying breed. My watch goes on before the clothes in the morning and is the last thing I take off. If I didn't have one on, I would be looking at my wrist all day anyway.

C

Chris Ford

I'm surprised your computer didn't auto-set the time and date. It must be very locked down.

All the clocks in my house (except microwave and stove clocks) tune in once a day to the NIST radio station to get their time and date, and my computers get their time and date from one of 2 internet servers.
It did eventually. I didn't reset it, and it's correct now. When I opened my outlook calendar in the morning, it was Friday though! :magic:

I'm not sure when the system clock corrected itself - by then, outlook was open on Friday, and I was well on my way into the weekend. LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What does a level 1 (PSW) PPAP actually promise? APQP and PPAP 19
A +0/-.001 Tolerance question - Feature size is 1.249 +0/-.001 - Actually measures 1.2493 (.0003 OHL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
D IATF 16949 FAQ 24 (8.4.2.2 Countries of Destination) - How is this actually being interpreted? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
R Are the ISO Standards actually required for health product registration on ANVISA? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
M How do you know you actually need to seek ISO 13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
T ISO Auditor Training - What online training is actually value added? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S What does "review" of records actually mean? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
S What the Product actually is - Software Technologies to optimize Telco ?stuff"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Verifying Calibration of Hardness Gauge vs Actually Calibrating It General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Who is ACTUALLY measuring your parts for nonconformities? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Certification of ISO 28000 Lead Auditors - Which organisations are actually qualified Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
S Licensed Quality Engineer - Which states actually license "Quality Engineers"? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
Marc Who in your company actually 'uses' the Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 33
W Can Process Validation actually be Design Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M ANSI-Y14.5M vs. ASME-Y14.5M - Does an ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 document actually exist? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
B Does the ISO/TS 16949 standard actually require the title "QUALITY POLICY" to be used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Does anyone actually do a Pareto of the Top 5 (highest) RPN's of PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 8
D Zero Acceptance Sampling - Is anyone is actually using this? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J TFRR - What is actually required to be TEST FAILURE RESOLUTION REPORT Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
V Product Audit - What is actually required to be audited during product audit? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Manix Staging Process - Some confusion about what this stage actually is Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
Marc Call Center Quality - This Call Actually Is Being Monitored For Quality Assurance World News 5
J Pursuing certification to ISO 13485 (actually 13488) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
Marc Inspection Criteria - ISO 14253-1 is actually a disguised guardband Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
somashekar Friday the 13th - What it means to people around here. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
rob73 TFI Friday Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
SteelMaiden My Friday afternoon contribution Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Wes Bucey If you get laid off this Friday, what's next? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Wes Bucey It's Friday - don't stop the job hunt! Career and Occupation Discussions 2
L Tuesday is Friday Imported Legacy Blogs 3
Jim Wynne How I'm Spending My Friday Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
Q Quality Rap Song - Friday's Excursion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
R Dorian Shainin passed away on Friday, January 7, 2000 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
D What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
D Today's the Day! Thank you all! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Marc When did you first use what we call E-Mail (aka email) today? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
insect warfare Windows XP support ends today (April 8, 2014) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Marc It's Sunday - 6 April 2014 - What's on your mind today? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
John Broomfield The PErfect ISO System Died Today... Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Marc About 1940 to today - TV - Sunday Morning Thoughts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
D FDA Guidance on 'Latex-Free' Labeling Issued Today - March 2013 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Crusader It's a Crusader day today! Covegratulations 6
AnaMariaVR2 Green buildings - Laying tomorrow's foundations today [article] Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
somashekar Today's Date is 12-12-12 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
S I voted today - 6 November 2012 (US Elections) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 28
F The Most Comprehensive Technical File Educational Resource Available Today EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Randy Interesting lady I met today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
K Saw this today.... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4