Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device

I have a HW medical device that is classified as class I device according to MDD. The device is used for documenting pictures used by a doctor to diagnose disease. A new software feature will be added that will be able to provide diagnosis instead of the doctor.
1. The new feature is not an integral part of the device you would buy, the user will be able to purchase it separately
2. It only works with my HW device, so it is not a stand alone software device
3. The intended use of the feature is different from the intended use of the device

Can I treat this software feature as an accessory to a medical device? I am looking through regulation and it is very unclear when it comes to software.
If it is indeed an accessory, do I need to prepare a separate technical file for the software? or will it be part of my HW device TF?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Does your existing hardware work without the software? Presuming so, will you sell a version without the diagnostic software and a version with the diagnostic software?

By incorporating diagnostic capability I would expect you've bumped the device out of the Class I category.

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
No, it can't be an accessory as it has a medical purpose - diagnosis! It is a device in its own right.
I would consider that it is intended to "allow direct diagnosis" and will be class IIa under MDD.
Under MDR, it will be at least class IIa - depends on what it is diagnosing and situation it is used.

Does your existing hardware work without the software? Presuming so, will you sell a version without the diagnostic software and a version with the diagnostic software?

By incorporating diagnostic capability I would expect you've bumped the device out of the Class I category.
The Diagnostic software is an add-on to the existing device and software. User will be able to purchase it separately, once he has a device.
How do I keep the device and the diagnostics software separate in my documentation? The device without the software is class I but once the software is purchased it's, as you say, bumped into class IIa.
Can I call it a standalone software? even though it will only work with my device?

No, it can't be an accessory as it has a medical purpose - diagnosis! It is a device in its own right.
I would consider that it is intended to "allow direct diagnosis" and will be class IIa under MDD.
Under MDR, it will be at least class IIa - depends on what it is diagnosing and situation it is used.
Thanks, of course you are right about the classification.
I am confused on how to treat this software. If it is not an accessory is it a standalone software? it will only work on my HW device.
I don't want to change the classification of the device as is (class I) since it will not have the diagnostics function when purchased and may be used without it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
D Software as a Medical Device Accessory Software Quality Assurance 2
K Standalone software - an accessory to medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
A Software contained in a Medical Device Accessory IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S USB Cable (an accessory to our data management software) Changes and 510k IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B ISO 14971 Applied to Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
N ERP Software Implementation Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J Designing new gauge tracking software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Notified Bodies for Software (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K ERP System Software Validation - ISO13485 2016 4.1.6 Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M HR (Human Resources) based software recommendations Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Medical Devices-South Africa _Post approval changes and Software Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Marc Security in Health Industry Software - February 2020 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
Q Is that any difficulty to do software DFMEA and PFMEA in ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
F Management of Software version while NB reviews Technical file CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 4
Z Software Library - could it be a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B HIGH QA Software - Auto ballooning software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
I Custom software services to be used by medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Informational TGA – Submissions received: Regulation of software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Does EN ISO 15223-1:2016 include the graphic symbols to be added to software and IFU? Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
G Strategy for IEC62304 implementation half way into the software development process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
F Software development plan for SW update IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D Requirements for the dimensions / color of medical device labels - Software as a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2