Software FMEA with CMMI

A

Abagadaia

Hello,

I'm searching for SWFMEA applied with CMMI. Anyone has a study case about?

Best regards,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
welcome to the cove :bigwave:

I'm not sure what kind of case study you are looking for:
  • FMEA for software?
  • CMMI assessment of your FMEA process?
  • FMEA in an organization that utilizes CMMI?

FMEA and CMMI are different types of assessments with different purposes.

perhaps you clarify your request?

A

Abagadaia

Hello Bev D,

I'm looking for a case study about FMEA in an organization that utilizes CMMI.

The idea is understand how the FMEA was introduced on a company with CMMI and how it interact with the requirements of CMMI.

:)

Best regards,

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
FMEA is just one of the tools used in Risk Management, similar to Ghantt chart used in project planning; so, I'm not sure if asking how does FMEA interact with CMMI is an appropriate question.
Are you looking at how software risk management or certain risk methodologies interact with CMMI?

Nadaabo

Starting to get Involved
:bigwave:
I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but I will try. If your company is evaluated to CMMI, it means you have a documented system for your software (from understanding the requirements, to creating your work breakdown structure, to communicating to the shareholders, to training, planning, developing the SW, testing it, validating it, verifying it, etc.)

You would take this process and use it for your FMEA template steps. for example:
1. Process step: Requirements management
2. Potential failure mode: Fail functional test.
3. Potential effect of failure: delay in deliver, customer not happy, etc.
4. Severity: 5
5. Potential cause of failure: missed entering the requirement
6. Occurrence: 3
7. Controls in place (Prevent): None
8. Controls in place (Detect): automated calculator for number of requirements
9. Detection: 5
10. Risk Priority #: =5*3*5=75
11. Action to put into place... etc.. etc.. etc...

Once you have listed all your software process on the FMEA template, the team can go through and perform the exercise. its a good starting point.
I hope this helps.

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello there,
So, I think FMEA is calling for Project Risk Management (Maturity 3) and for Casual Analysis and Resolution (Maturity 5) in CMMI.
Software FMEA sounds a weird think to me, due to the probabilty that the software will fail is 100% for me.
There could be however some analysis in design phase to guide the selection of alternative approaches, mostly to prefer the kind of design that inherently eliminates those suspected potential problems.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Has anyone here had any experience with PQ-FMEA software? FMEA and Control Plans 1
A CAQ Software - Implementation of a Software for FMEA's and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
M IQRM Software - Transitioning from Excel based FMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
N Software FMEA for an In-Vitro Directive EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V Any recommendation for FMEA software to support Pharma operations ? FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Recommendations for Off the Shelf (OTS) FMEA software FMEA and Control Plans 2
A Does Anybody use APIS (IQ-FMEA) Software in this forum? FMEA and Control Plans 2
J IFS (Industrial & Financial Systems) software and the FMEA module Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
R Should I include all possible Risks of our software in the FMEA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
L PFMEA (Process FMEA) Forms - Dyadem FMEA Software Products FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Process Diagram - FMEA - Control Plan Software APQP and PPAP 5
R FMEA Software Tools - What are the top 5 most used FMEA software FMEA and Control Plans 13
P SCIO-FMEA software by PLATO AG FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Software support for FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
A FMEA in software projects FMEA and Control Plans 6
B Software FMEA as a functional approach of a system FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
B FMEA Rating Table for Services like Software Implementation or Sampling Requests Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Software to Handle All "Quality" Processes? APQP, Control Plan, FMEA, MSA, PPAP, etc. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
T Looking for FMEA Software Comparison Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
S Is there software that includes diagnostics in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 12
J Can someone give a hint about FMEA about software source code FMEA and Control Plans 7
K Byteworx FMEA Software - Any advice appreciated Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
J Software which links Process FMEA (PFMEA), Control Plan and Flow Chart Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
D Seeking Information on Plato FMEA Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
R Seeking Recommendations: FMEA Software Tools Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
G Is Anyone Using IQ (APIS) FMEA Software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
I FMEA - DFMEA Software - Seeking Advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
J Looking for FMEA software for Semiconductor Industry Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
Howard Atkins FORD's FMEA Plus Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
M Stand alone software package out there for creating a FMEA - Laptop Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
M FMEA and Control Plan Software - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
J FMEA Software to develop P&D Failure Modes Effects Analysis Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Software Updates in the Field and ISO scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Recurrent event analysis software (python) General Auditing Discussions 2
Y UL 1998 Standard: software classes Software Quality Assurance 0
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S IEC 62304 software costs and time Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S IEC 62304 - Software verification cost IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
I Form templates for software (iso9001) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
H Software Interface Translation IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M IEC 62304 Software changes - Minor labeling changes on the GUI IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1