Software for design control

zippo

Registered
Dear all,

I am looking for inspiration.
What software are you using for system engineering and design control?

Cloud preferred.

Thank you in advance.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
That's a really broad question. What, specifically, are you hoping to accomplish with the software (issue tracking, document control, requirements tracing, ...)?

zippo

Registered
Document control and creation
Issue tracking
Requirement tracing
Risk analysis
Code repository (if possible)

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
There have been quite a few discussions of "eQMS" systems on this site. I'm sure a search will turn up plenty. Just off the top of my head, I can think of ETQ, QCBD, Q-Pulse, MasterControl, Arena, and BPA. (Please do not take that as an endorsement of any of those; just tossing out what I've been exposed to).

I don't know of any such system that incorporate a code repository (and presumably change management). To that end, I know of systems such as SVN, Github, and Bitbucket that seem to be popular.

I think there are some that do requirements tracing but that's kind of a niche tool. (DOORS is very powerful but the overhead involved is challenging for many.)

I don't know of any that support risk analysis activities. I think many use Excel spreadsheets for the bulk of the work (again, a search on this site should turn up some). The eQMS systems will, of course, handle any document control aspect.

Bear in mind that an investment in such tools is not a 'silver bullet.' As you assess tools, be sure to know what your requirements / needs are and how the tools fit. There will likely be a more-than-nominal investment on your part for setup and maintenance. Understand what that overhead is before jumping in. I've seen a lot of good tools maligned because they weren't appropriate, weren't set up properly, and/or weren't being used properly.

Top Bottom