Software Process Improvement - Statistics on Software Process Improvement (SPI)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Subject: RE: Software: Statistics on SPI Failures/Duong/Dey

There isn't much. How many companies are going to publish papers of the form
"Here's how we failed to improve our process having blown two years effort"?

Try the SEI's Information Repository at
http://www.sei.cmu.edu/seir/index.html

"The Software Engineering Information Repository (SEIR) is designed to serve the software engineering community in the role of gathering, coordinating, analyzing and disseminating, data and information on the impact of software engineering practices as well as practices and innovations leading to improvement. " - SEI.

The public area of the actual repository is at http://seir.sei.cmu.edu The interesting stuff is in the members only area (isn't it always), but last time I looked registration was free of charge.

Just a thought: I think much of the data on CMM/ISO/Etc success/failure rates is noise. All these schemes are bodies of knowledge capturing how people define and improve processes. Their success or failure lies in how people interpret these complex bodies of knowledge, not the bodies of knowledge themselves. I'd bet most failures are due to politics, most successes due to a succesful leap of faith and excellent team management skills, but since I'd never be able to prove it, I won't. The success rates reflect humanity's ability to express complex thoughts clearly.

Regards,
Pat
>
> From: Vinh Duong - aircanada.ca
> Subject: Q: Software: Statistics on SPI Failures/Duong
>
> I am looking for statistics on Software Process Improvement (SPI)
> failures using ISO, CMM....
> I read in several articles that 2/3 of companies fail to implement the
> SPI. I would like to obtain these statistics from a reliable source.
>
> Gracias,
>
> Vinh

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
P SPICE (Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination) Certification Software Quality Assurance 3
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Strategy for IEC62304 implementation half way into the software development process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Software Development Company - Who would own the whole process and the certification afterwards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Software change control process and defect tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Do we need to validate Software used in Drug discovery and development process? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
K Layered Process Audit (LPA) Software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Process Validation of QMS Software ISO 13485: 2016 Cl. 4.1.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
E Process diagram and intranet communication software Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
O Process Mapping prior to Validation and Software to use to Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
C Software Planning Tool for Equipment Qualifications, Process Validations Software Quality Assurance 3
K What are the minimum requirements for Process Validation (Software)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Software Process Implementation Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Process Writing Software Suggestions for Internal Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S IEC 62304 Software Process Diagram IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
L Qualiware Software & Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
Q Software that will fit the bill of Igrafx Process compatible with Macintosh? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
U Contract Review Process help and Software Recommendations Contract Review Process 8
J Software Development Process - How ISO9001 relates to Software Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S 21 CFR 820.75 Process Validation for Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D How to verify a process that uses software to accomplish certain tasks? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L PFMEA (Process FMEA) Forms - Dyadem FMEA Software Products FMEA and Control Plans 5
sagai Process Model for IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
J What SPC (Statistical Process Control) software is your company using? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
D Process Diagram - FMEA - Control Plan Software APQP and PPAP 5
M CAPA Process for a small Software company - Ideas and recommendations wanted Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
L Recommend Software to Control Ordering Process Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
T Touch Screen Capable Software suggestions for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
K Software Device "Urgent" Releases? Software Change Control Process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
H Measurement of process compliance for a software project Software Quality Assurance 1
K Software Life Cycle Process Map? Template or example wanted IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
J Software or template to manage first piece, in process and final inspection reports Software Quality Assurance 2
J Software Code Review Process Software Quality Assurance 2
T I'm looking for a consultant to come in house and look at our software process. Software Quality Assurance 3
Q Software/Tools to Manage ISO 12207 Audit of Software Development Process Software Quality Assurance 4
Sidney Vianna New ISO/IEC standard: quality of IT system / software engineering life cycle process Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
ScottK Do you use Collaborative Software? - I'm looking to streamline design process After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
G Report template for quality process audits of the software product teams Internal Auditing 1
errhine Paperless office software - Electronicly sign process documentation with FAA approval Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
J Insights on Graham (and other) Process Mapping software Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
T Internal audit checklists related to the software development process Internal Auditing 3
B Software Validation Procedure Question - Complaint Handling Process software Software Quality Assurance 9
C Coordinate Measuring Machine Software Validation Process Software Quality Assurance 5
A Software Engineering Process Group (SEPG) - Share your views and challanges faced. Software Quality Assurance 3
C SPC (Statistical Process Control) software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 23
S AS9100/AS9006 process documentation - Aerospace software consulting company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5