Solar Eclipse in the US on 21 August 2017

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I will be at home. It will pass almost directly overhead. I have bought a shade 13 welding hood lens. There are a lot of counterfeit viewing glasses out there...

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I read about the counterfeits. Welding hood lens - Great idea, and relatively cheap. No glasses to be sold anywhere I looked.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I read about the counterfeits. Welding hood lens - Great idea, and relatively cheap. No glasses to be sold anywhere I looked.
I found a shade 13 because it was recommended a shade 10 (the usual for arc welding) wouldn't be enough and some found shade 14 to be too dark. Shade 13 is not easy to find but I picked one up on Amazon.

I also objected to having to buy 10 pair of the other kind. :mg: Googles are available, but reviews included "These turned my face yellow."

Q

qpled

Thanks for the link - great map! I will be in Boston and at work, so not expecting as dramatic a show as some of you will experience.

I am hoping for clear skies this coming weekend for the Perseids meteor shower - there will be a 3/4 waning moon so not as good for viewing as last year was.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I'll be in Wyoming near Jackson Hole to get a good viewing spot. Since most of the known world seems to also want to be there at the time, the in-laws will be holding a place at a campground starting at least a week before. I've got a welding mask and my brother-in-law bought a bunch of eclipse glasses - hopefully not the counterfeit kind.

Apparently the highway patrol won't allow people to just pull off the side of the road because of the danger of fires this time of year. They also warn that with all the extra traffic and long distances between cities it's a good idea to stock up with extra gas.

Top Bottom