Soldering Station Accuracy out of specification

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Here is an interesting situation:
One of our hand soldering station came back from yearly calibration test and a significant degradation in accuracy.
We are using it in 300 and 350 Celsius. The calibration test results indicate the the nominal value is approximately 50 Celsius less than anticipated; declared accuracy should be about 10 Celsius.

Obviously, the tool will be put out of service, but we need to make an assessment of impact on products that were released to the field.
Obviously, we don't have tractability at that level.

And so my question: how do I justify that the soldered quality is acceptable?
I am thinking to write that the soldering temperature is higher than the melting point of the solder. Is there something better to write? I believe I'm on a grey area... I guess the good news is that the soldering station did not produce 50 Celsius more than anticipated.

Thanks in advance.
Shimon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pads38

Re: soldering station out of spec..

Hi Shimon,

What post-soldering inspection / test would you have in place?
Could you say that the joints produced would have passed inspection?

An iron that is too cold tends to do the job - just that bit slower than optimum, especially if it is a large joint or involves heating a large area/mass.

Could you use the defective iron to produce some samples - perhaps 'worst case' samples (biggest, most difficult etc) then carefully inspect / photograph the joints showing that, even when done with the defective tool they are acceptable?

You could use the standard 'IPC A-610F Acceptability of electronic assemblies' for examples of what is acceptable - it has lots of illustrations of good versus bad joints, and how much below optimum is allowed for different categories of end product (life critical [aerospace etc], important [medical?], non-critical [general products]).

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

And so my question: how do I justify that the soldered quality is acceptable?
in your production line, do the products have monitoring activities, downstream of the hand soldering process? Visual inspection? burn-in? board testing? etc.

If there were monitoring activities done to the product and they passed, this should be reasonable justification for deeming the products acceptable? from a risk based perspective, I would institute a rapid response, in case you see a sudden higher rate of returned defective products.

Last edited:

shimonv

Thanks Pads38 and Sidney,
I'll have to check what we have in terms of process control, but I suspect it's not robust enough to compensate / justify.
Doing a comparative test of 'worst case' is not a bad idea in a perfect world.:)

I'll check what 'IPC A-610F Acceptability of electronic assemblies' has to say.

Shimon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stoic Manual soldering processes - 100% verifiable, or always requiring validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
S How do I do a Process Validation for soldering process Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Connector Tin Plating Peel-off during Soldering Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Nadcap Certification for Soldering Iron? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A RoHS Compliant Component = Re-Qualified for Lead-Free Soldering? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
M Process Validation for Manual Soldering for a Medical Devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
B Safe Disposal of No Clean Soldering Flux in NY State Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J ESD and Soldering Training Supplier Recommendations Needed Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Soldering Training (specific to Rework and Repair of PCBs) - Long Island Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
B Effect of Soldering on Tin Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C How do you Validate Solderability of Components Prior to Soldering Operations Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ESD Flooring Requirements - Seperate room for soldering process and assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Looking for Photos of Surface Mount Device (SMD) Soldering Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
B IPC810 Class II vs Class III Requirements for Reflow and Wave Soldering Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Manix Soldering Charts and Training - Recommendations Please Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Medical Device Regulations - FDA Soldering 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Soldering Iron Temperature Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
Q Soldering and AS9100 - Are soldering irons "monitoring and measuring equipment"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
T How to define the measurement technique and control method for manual soldering FMEA and Control Plans 10
R CQI-15 Welding System Assess. & CQI-17 Special Process: Soldering Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
N Control of Special Processes - Welding & Soldering - The Great Debate - 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Soldering Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
P Using Mil-STD-2000A as soldering specification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 14
A Control of Soldering Irons and Soldering Stations Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
J Soldering Standard which shows good and bad soldering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Soldering Standard - What is the soldering standard used for medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J Maintenance Schedule - Flow Soldering Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Antonio Vieira PFMEA for Resistance Welding, Winding and Soldering processes FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Looking for Electronics Hands on Training Material - ESD, Comp ID, Soldering, etc Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
T Possibility of off-setting the temperature on a digital Soldering Iron General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Soldering in stainless steel machined part Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Soldering - Operator Qualification Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Validation of Special Process - Soldering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Soldering specification - Seeking example of a soldering procedure Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J IPC/EIA J-STD-004 - Requirements for Soldering Fluxes Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Q Calibration of Temperature Controllers - Soldering Irons General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Process Validation - Hand soldering of components & wires on PCB - Special Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Validation of Soldering Process - Clause 7.5.2 - my conundrum! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L SPC on Wave soldering machine - Cp and Cpk analysis - Soldering pot temperature Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
L IPC/EIA J-STD-001 (soldering) revisions (Want to replace IPC-A-610) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
A Lead Free Soldering: Seeking Requirements for Use Information Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
F Is Soldering a Special Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J Soldering Irons - Calibration Requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M AS9110C Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes for Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Part 145 Maintenance Station S/N ESN Character Requirements EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
W How to perform validation for an epoxy curing station Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Electronic Document Control - Posting a process at work station ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Integration of Management System (Power Station) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Uriel Alejandro 7.5.4 Customer Property in a Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7