Solving "Random" Puzzles Key To Scoring A-List Tech Jobs

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I've moved this to "discussions" since it is not a job offer per se.

Certainly puts a new slant on a "stress interview" if you only have 60 seconds to avoid being a bug in a blender.

To make a discussion of this article, let's have some comment on any or all of these points:
  1. requiring a candidate to prove his ability to think on his feet and out of the box with puzzles
  2. Contacting folks NOT on a candidate's reference list to get a full picture
  3. running a candidate through multiple interviews with each interviewer having the power to "black ball" the candidate
I have some very strong views on these points, but I don't want to "taint" the thread just yet. Let's see some other comments.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
At it's worst, these psychological and behavioral test are better than nothing as a pre-employment screening devices. The power or relevance of these test really depends on the user - what are they trying to achieve or find out.

Generally, I equate the ability to think on ones feet to common sense. Common sense plus a strong academic foundation should get one somewhere! I am not sure if there's a correct answer for these puzzles but I think a logical answer vis-a-vis the situation should be a good guage of the candidates ability to get out or survive a bad situation.

I think contacting people not on the referee's list makes one look unethical. There are alternatives.

Running candidates through multiple interviews are more relevant for sales or communication type of jobs. I think having some good man and bad man in the interviewing team makes the assessment more interesting. The candidate has to know how to handle a losing situation (like a rejection) nicely also.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good comments Harry. :agree:

I harbor a special dislike for psychological tests. Still, I can understand why an employer would want to use them. My question for Google would be (if they cared): "In what job performance aspect does the applicant's ability to play with these toys accurately predict success?"

I get the problem solving objective. However, understanding learning styles and intelligences as I do, I know that problem solving abilities can be exhibited on paper or whiteboard--visually and not kinetically.

I don't know if Google uses more than one kind of test and who has designed it; who interprets the results and how it's done. Soo, while admitting I don't have the complete story I'll leave my remark with my impression: :rolleyes:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Q: How many golf balls can fit inside a school bus?
A: Not enough information:

Q: You're shrunk and trapped in a blender that will turn on in 60 seconds. What do you do?
A: Sprout wings and fly out, which is just as likely to happen as being shrunk and put in a blender.

Q: How much would you charge to wash all of the windows in Seattle?
A: One million dollars:

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
These sorts of problems (particularly the ones like ping pong balls on a bus or washing windows in Seattle or how much water flows out of the mouth of the Mississippi river) are often called "Fermi problems" in honor of a 20th century nuclear physicists who used to spring them on grad students during the final oral exam before being awarded a PhD (talk about high-pressure!).

They show:
  1. a degree of practical knowledge (what are the dimensions of a school bus?)
  2. a degree of mathematical skill (how do you calculate the volume of a school bus)
  3. an ability to deal with uncertainty & approximations
  4. an ability to think on your feet under pressure
I think all of these skills are applicable to most higher level jobs. The answer is not really the goal, but to see the thought process.

For example
  • A bus is tall enough for an adult to walk in, so it is ~6' tall
  • A good-sized bus seats 60 students in 10 rows, and each row would have to be about 3' from the previous, so 10 x 3 = 30' long inside. (3' might be a little long, but there is also space for the driver & door)
  • a 3' wide bench would seat three kids (or two adults) and another 1.5' for the aisle = 7.5'
  • A pingpong ball is ~1" in diameter, so each one will have a volume of about 1 in^3
  • The volume of the bus is ~70in x 360in x 90in = ~ 2,400,000 cubic inches = 2,400,000 ping pong balls.
  • There is will be some space taken up my the seats, but the spheres call also pack a little more densely than cubes, so those factors will approximately cancel
That is off the top of my head. I could also use knowledge about the typical size of semi trailers to estimate the dimensions of the bus. I just googled the size of a ping pong ball and found it is a little bigger than I estimated (1.38"), which would cut my answer by more than half, to about 1,000,000.

This is still twice what the article estimates. I would challenge them to defend their values. As I mentioned earlier - it is the thought process (and general knowledge) that are important - not the exact number.

Tim F

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
These sorts of problems (particularly the ones like ping pong balls on a bus or washing windows in Seattle or how much water flows out of the mouth of the Mississippi river) are often called "Fermi problems" in honor of a 20th century nuclear physicists who used to spring them on grad students during the final oral exam before being awarded a PhD (talk about high-pressure!).

They show:
  1. a degree of practical knowledge (what are the dimensions of a school bus?)
  2. a degree of mathematical skill (how do you calculate the volume of a school bus)
  3. an ability to deal with uncertainty & approximations
  4. an ability to think on your feet under pressure
I think all of these skills are applicable to most higher level jobs. The answer is not really the goal, but to see the thought process.

For example
  • A bus is tall enough for an adult to walk in, so it is ~6' tall
  • A good-sized bus seats 60 students in 10 rows, and each row would have to be about 3' from the previous, so 10 x 3 = 30' long inside. (3' might be a little long, but there is also space for the driver & door)
  • a 3' wide bench would seat three kids (or two adults) and another 1.5' for the aisle = 7.5'
  • A pingpong ball is ~1" in diameter, so each one will have a volume of about 1 in^3
  • The volume of the bus is ~70in x 360in x 90in = ~ 2,400,000 cubic inches = 2,400,000 ping pong balls.
  • There is will be some space taken up my the seats, but the spheres call also pack a little more densely than cubes, so those factors will approximately cancel
That is off the top of my head. I could also use knowledge about the typical size of semi trailers to estimate the dimensions of the bus. I just googled the size of a ping pong ball and found it is a little bigger than I estimated (1.38"), which would cut my answer by more than half, to about 1,000,000.

This is still twice what the article estimates. I would challenge them to defend their values. As I mentioned earlier - it is the thought process (and general knowledge) that are important - not the exact number.

Tim F
Of course, there is no mention of whether there are seats left in the bus nor even whether we are stuffing it while there are kids (how about adults?) This reminds me of the item a few days back about Niels Bohr estimating the height of the building with a barometer. Are they interested in the answer per se or in the cleverness in which you attack the problem? Probably a big part of the cleverness is how well you defend the "posits" or assumptions as you set up a "ball park" solution to the problem (How many major league baseballs to fill Tropicana Field?) With or without the seats? include the concession area and locker rooms or only the playing field and stands? etc.etc. etc.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Leadership non-conformity, Top Management's involvement in Problem Solving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J PROBLEM SOLVING - IATF and GM CSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
M Problem Solving in Fiat Automobiles Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 0
R Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
NDesouza Go See, Think, Do (GSTD) Problem Solving Activity Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 8
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
D Training for AS13000 - Problem Solving Requirements for Suppliers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
M Training in 8D Problem Solving as a Preventive Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A 5Why vs. 8D - Problem Solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
K Documented problem solving and documented error-proofing - IATF 16949 10.2.3 & 10.2.4 Internal Auditing 7
W Documented Problem-Solving for Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Problem Solving Techniques - 5 why or Fishbone diagram ? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
S Problem Solving Database for Each Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
automoto International Problem Solving Guide Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
M Problem Solving: JDI (just do it) vs. A3 vs PDCA Projects Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Global 8D Problem Solving Training Material Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
P Global 8D Problem Solving Example Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
N Corrective and Preventive Action in 8D Problem Solving Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
B Problem to be used for Problem Solving class for different Manufacturing Backgrounds Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
T What Problem Solving Tools do you use the most? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
E Problem Solving using PDCA/A3 - Tips & Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C A3 Problem Solving Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C 5 Why's Problem Solving Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
O Practical 8-D or similar Problem Solving worksheet or form Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
Q Green Wall or Green Room Problem Solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
K 7 or 8D (Problem Solving) CAPA template Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
C What is problem solving? Imported Legacy Blogs 5
T Practical Problem Solving - Does anyone have a practical problem solving template? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
W Does anyone have a Training Exercise for 5 Whys Problem Solving? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
B Problem Solving Methodology Help - Shainin/Red X Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
Q List of Problem Solving Methods (not tools) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 23
R 5S Problem Solving Presentation needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
F Toyota A3 Practical Problem Solving (PPS) Document Needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Casana 8D (Eight Disciplines) Problem Solving - When Actions are not Effective Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
P I need a good QC story format for my use in problem solving technique Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
U Problem Solving Flowchart Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
M Lesson Learned Cards for Problem Solving and Prevention after 8D Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
F Problem Solving Workshops - DMAIC Example? Six Sigma 11
L When to use 8D Problem Solving Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A How many steps in an 8D? What is an 8-D? Problem Solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
J IS - IS NOT Problem Solving Analysis Method Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Chennaiite What is meant by 'Lesson Learned' in the context of Problem Solving Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C Planning & Implementing Solution (book chapter 5 on problem solving) The Reading Room 8
C Identifying Causes (book chapter 4 on problem solving) The Reading Room 26
D Problem Solving Techniques Training Materials Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
M So long Problem Solving Program? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C Understanding the Process (book chapter 3 on problem solving) The Reading Room 26