Some Bickering and Chat

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Private Messaging Feature

NOTE on 2004-06-16

Much has changed. See http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6641 for the latest details.

To: Marc Smith
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 1:14 PM
Subject: Info, please?

Marc,

You will have my check for the "Helping out a Neighbor Fund, shortly. I hope, by now, you know where I'm at with this.

Question 1. Will there be a prompt if we try to Private Message a member who has not contributed?

I'm not sure what will happen. I'll have to devise a test I guess. I would hope the softwear would do something like bring up a prompt saying that person cannot receive private messages.

Question 2. Is access to these features on hold until you have the payment in hand? For instance, I will be sending a check. From the time I respond to the "Payment Site" and provide the required information, are we automatically allowed to use the features as before?

Yup - just turned it on this morning. I decided what the heck. Might as well join the capitalists. It's cheaper than an ASQ registration. But do remember - I'm home right now but getting ready to go out. Access will be turned on within 12 hours of my getting the broker's e-mail. If I'm here I'll do it right away, but as I said - I'm not ALWAYS here.

Question 3. Why don't you post the names of the members who have decided to help their "neighbor" so that those who do the right thing do not send messages to those who are reluctant to spend $0.50 a week to enjoy the cove and help defray expenses? In a few years, or more like months, it will cost that much to mail a letter. Strange, ain't it? I'm suggesting a thread dedicated solely to the names of supporting members, so that we don't spin our wheels trying to contact members through this forum that choose to remain unsupporting. This way we know who not to Private message to. Just a suggestion. I didn't address the value of downloading member's attachments. These attachments are more valuable than the right to Private messaging. There's a lot of information that can be used to ease the discomfort of not knowing what is being used by others to get through the day.

Those who have access shoulod be visible in the Forum Moderator's Listing Actually that link has a number of 'groups' and isn't really (obviously) just a listing of moderators. How's that?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

me is William

marc,

Whatever has been turned off has also turned off the ability to make a correction in a post while it is being created and the ability to edit your own posts. That little pointing finger comes up and the block circle with the slash which indicated "No". The pointing finger I refer to is the one that appears when you approach a link. Any help?

William:vfunny: :ko: :smokin:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Editing of posts was not turned off so there should not be a problem with it. I'll check it in a bit with a dummy account.

I did upgrade software (again) yesterday and there could be a glitch, but shouldn't be.

BTW - I tried to private message you and got this message:

energy has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her. I did this from my admin account.

From my 'registered' account (not contributor enabled) I get this:

System Software Message:
Forum Permissions Error Message: Although you appear to be 'Logged In' - and thus you have gone through the Registration Process, you do not have permission to access this page, forum or function. The problem is probably due to one of the following reasons:

1. After you Registered, the system software sent you an Activation E-mail which you MUST respond to. The system software may be waiting for your e-mail activation. If you do not respond to the activation e-mail sent to you, your account will not be activated. If you do not respond to the activation e-mail within 5 days, your registration will be deleted.
You can see if this is the case by going to This Link.

2. You may have gotten this message because you do not have permission to use the function that you were trying to use because you did not complete the Registration Process described above (particularly responding to the e-mail sent to you) before you can use some of the features of the Forums.
If you did not receive a confirmation e-mail, you may have entered an incorrect e-mail address. When this happens the system software gets a 'bounce' message' and your user name will be deleted. You can check to see if your e-mail bounced by Clicking Here.

3. Other possibilities: Are you trying to edit someone else's post or are you trying to access moderator or administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.

etc

M

Mary Hartman

Works for me

Test message.

Test message edit.

Everything works for me. Maybe you have to clear your cookies and cache file or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirming Energys sighting

I have the same problem in both private message and ordinary posting:

I cannot (while writing the post) go back in the text and mark something to change it. In order to edit something I have to backspace to the spot I want to reach... and the whole display keeps flickering like mad... Updating itself? That happens whenever I pass the cursor across another frame, icon, or just about anything.

When I try to mark text the cursor turns to the Link pointer.

/Claes

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
So, what is this all about and what do you get for the $25.00?? I did notice that when you move your cursor you get a lot of flashing.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Confirming Energys sighting

Claes Gefvenberg said:
When I try to mark text the cursor turns to the Link pointer.
/Claes
Probably due to a small HTML syntax error in closing the 'FONT' and 'a' tags in the new 'contribution' link at the top of the page...?? Though I can't say why it works with a MAC!

:confused:

S

Sirlard

I tried an edit also and indeed it is not working correctly. I even lost my prompt the first time I tried.

E

energy

Nah nah nah nah nah

Told you so. Told you so. The quote function doesn't work properly, either. Send in that contribution and it will all go away, I hope. I did mine today!:eek: :ko: :smokin:

Top Bottom