Some departments don't have Quality Objectives - Non Conformity?

S

Sardokar

Hello

I work in an IT company that delivers IT solutions,their implementations and support

during our internal audits we found that the support , implementations and almost all processes had quality objectives

except the Purchasing and HR departments which had none

Does this constitute a minor non conformity in regard to 5.4.1 or should we just classify it as a RFI ( recommendation for improvement)

i think i read somewhere that all processes don't HAVE to have objectives but im not sure of what to think

Please help :)

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Ka Pilo

Re: Some departments don't have quality objectives - Non Conformity ?

Hello

I work in an IT company that delivers IT solutions,their implementations and support

during our internal audits we found that the support , implementations and almost all processes had quality objectives

Does this constitute a minor non conformity in regard to 5.4.1 or should we just classify it as a RFI ( recommendation for improvement)

i think i read somewhere that all processes don't HAVE to have objectives but im not sure of what to think

Thanks
There should be quality objectives and it should be communicated throughout the department as total commitment to quality policy. You need to measure your department/function's ability to meet requirements and expectations. It will serve as basis for improvements, audits, management reviews etc

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

As always in these situations, it is best to see what the standard says - which is '... they should be established at relevant functions and levels.'

I don't read that as saying every department has to have them. I think I would ask why they are different from the rest and possibly an OFI might be appropriate.

K

Ka Pilo

As always in these situations, it is best to see what the standard says - which is '... they should be established at relevant functions and levels.'

I don't read that as saying every department has to have them. I think I would ask why they are different from the rest and possibly an OFI might be appropriate.
I think HR functions e.g. competence, etc and Purchasing are relevant functions
For example,
Conduct X # of trainings within Y month.
Availability of X manpower pool for identified positions per Y month.
X # of suppliers for Y
X% below existing market price per Y month.
Purchasing Efficiency X% per Y month

Colin

I agree that they could have some objectives and you list some good options - the question is whether they have to have them. If the answer is No, they don't have to have them, then I would not/could not raise an NC.

K

Ka Pilo

I agree that they could have some objectives and you list some good options - the question is whether they have to have them. If the answer is No, they don't have to have them, then I would not/could not raise an NC.
I got your point. I agree.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

Hello

Thanks
First, don't confuse a department with a process. Departments aren't mentioned anywhere in ISO 9001 for a reason.

The standard requires the organization to establish quality objectives at "relevant functions and levels." There may be objectives established for the overall organization that may apply to the purchasing and HR processes. I don't see evidence of a nonconformity against 5.4.1.

Instead of looking at objectives, I'd look at process measurements. Please read clause 8.2.3:
The organization shall apply suitable methods for monitoring and, where applicable, measurement of the quality management system processes. These methods shall demonstrate the ability of the processes to achieve planned results.
As you can see, each process is required to have some method to monitor/measure it to determine its ability to achieve "planned results." I suspect that this is really what you are talking about. If the organization has no method to do this, then it IS a nonconformity to 8.2.3.

Colin

Howste, whilst I agree largely with what you say, I think there is an important point in that the clause does say '... monitor, and where applicable, measure ...' rather than shall measure. It could be that they are able to monitor the effectiveness of a process without actually measuring it - although I can't think exactly how off 'the top of my head'! :(

Another factor is that an organization can overwhelm itself with various parts having objectives and measurements etc. It really should be kept very simple - a bit like a car dashboard, as I've written before - there are multiple 'things' which could be measured and monitored on a vehicle - but basically, to get anywhere - the primary objective of using a car, there are really only 2-4 that need to be displayed on the dashboard - speed, gas, mile/kms etc.

For departments to 'come up' with some objectives e.g. 'conduct trainings' ensures that they will HAVE them, but not understand how this contributes to the overall objectives of the business towards the customer etc. I vividly remember one large corporation which had an objective of everyone having 40 hrs of training a year...whether they needed it or not!

harry

Super Moderator
...................... Does this constitute a minor non conformity in regard to 5.4.1 or should we just classify it as a RFI ( recommendation for improvement) ..........................
Often, you can take the cue from your third party audit unless you have doubts about their competency.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
A Can we do audit in "VERY CONFIDENTIAL DEPARTMENTS"? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Auditing Human Resources and Finance Departments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Internal Audit - How to define the Importance of Departments and Processes Internal Auditing 8
T Ownership of Procedures where Multiple Departments are involved in the Process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
L What tool best describes the interactions between departments? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
D ISO 13485 for Hospital Sterilization Departments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Depicting Communication Flow Gaps between Departments/Process Steps on a Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
Q Process or Departments - Document Content and Managing the Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q ISO 9001:2008 Processes which are supported by Departments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Corporate Documents cover local facility - How many departments can I exempt? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Involvement of several Departments in Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 12
T Development of Work Instructions for Multiple Departments Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
hogheavenfarm Need better Job Tracking Method - Fabricated in several departments at once Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Collecting Analysis Reports from all Departments - Clause 8.4 Analysis of Data ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Best Audit Approach for IT Department with sub-departments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C GMP Departments Reporting to Non-GMP Departments? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Internal Audits - Audit Departments or Processes Internal Auditing 13
S In-Process Check for Support Departments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Non Conformance Closure - Shouldn't this be the Quality departments responsibility? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Ideal Ratio of Turnover (Sales), Employees & Departments Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W Applicability of Standard Clauses on the SOP?s / Support Departments like IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
F Process Owners and Process Documentation which Affects Multiple Departments Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Top Manufacturing Systems Faculties among Industrial Engineering Departments in US Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
V Process Based Organization Chart that lists processes instead of departments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
M Master List of records - for multiple projects/departments in a software industry Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
J Audit Trails vs. Audit Scope? Going into other departments following trails General Auditing Discussions 9
Q Sub Optimization Illness - Various departments refuse to use the same tools ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Crusader Fox guarding the hen house... Quality - Separate from other departments - TS rules? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Marc An ISO 9001 Responsibilities Matrix with Departments - An excel .xls spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
M Training Details - Different Departments - How much needed? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T Work Instructions - Where and what departments should have them? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R Job Shop vs. Service - Identification of jobs between departments Service Industry Specific Topics 8
F What to do when you don't meet the 1:10 ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
MDD_QNA Accessory or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
I "We don't have enough resources" as an Audit Non-conformance Response General Auditing Discussions 14
D PPAP a Rebranded Purchased Product (we don't manufacture) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Importing prototype without CE (dos and don'ts ) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
H Embedded Software - I don't understand that Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
J We don't have enough Corrective action entries AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
L Nonconformity's risk is too low, so don't report it? General Auditing Discussions 25
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Mikael A non-religious country, where you don't drink? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
Jim Wynne Don't Pay the Ransom Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
AnaMariaVR2 Warning ? Don?t Confuse ?Made In USA? And ?Inspected By FDA? With Patriotism US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
AnaMariaVR2 DIY Fixes Don't Meet CGMP: FDA Slams Manufacturer for Fixes Involving Tape, Rubber Ba Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0