SBS - The best value in QMS software

Some doubts about traditional 510(k) submission

Ashley Fu

Starting to get Involved
we are planning to submit traditional 510(k) of a software. Now we have a difficulty whether a phantom test belongs to bench test since they are all non-clinical performance test. In the phantom test, We use the model to replace the blood vessels and verify the accuracy of measurement analysis our software.
And I'm confused when registered in EU, our clinical data were mainly derived from the literature. I don't know,in 510(k), whether we need to write this relevant scientific literature report into the section of performance testing-clinical of 510(k) submission, because it focus on the determination of the substantive equivalence between proposed device and predicate device.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
we are planning to submit traditional 510(k) of a software. Now we have a difficulty whether a phantom test belongs to bench test since they are all non-clinical performance test. In the phantom test, We use the model to replace the blood vessels and verify the accuracy of measurement analysis our software.
And I'm confused when registered in EU, our clinical data were mainly derived from the literature. I don't know,in 510(k), whether we need to write this relevant scientific literature report into the section of performance testing-clinical of 510(k) submission, because it focus on the determination of the substantive equivalence between proposed device and predicate device.
It will go with the "Bench Test Summary", not with the "Clinical Performance Summary" as you have done a bench-top simulation, not an actual test on human being. FDA has some literature for such use of "Modeling or Simulation" of medical device application. For your reference read this.

For the "Clinical Performance Summary" to FDA, you can use the same document what you prepared for the EU, provided your predicate(s) hasn't done any clinical performance testing for their submission.

Last edited:

Ashley Fu

Starting to get Involved
The "Clinical Performance Summary" we prepared for the EU, is mainly to prove safety and performance of the device by comparison.
Is it possible not to provide clinical data when my device is substantially equivalent to the predicate device? For most 510 k, clinical tests are not available aren't they?

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
The "Clinical Performance Summary" we prepared for the EU, is mainly to prove safety and performance of the device by comparison.
Is it possible not to provide clinical data when my device is substantially equivalent to the predicate device? For most 510 k, clinical tests are not available aren't they?
Yes, that's what I have said. You can simply provide the same "Clinical Performance Summary" that you submitted for your CE mark. You don't need to provide any actual "Clinical Data" of your device to the FDA, if your predicates haven't provided any "clinical data" in their submission. If your predicates have provided any "Clinical Data" in their submission then FDA might ask you also to provide it. Most of the 510(k)s are without any "Clinical Data", but 510(k) submission with "Clinical Data" also exists. So, you better study the 510(k) summaries of your predicate and find out whether they have provided any "Clinical Data" or not. If they haven't provided any "Clinical Data" then they must have submitted only "Clinical Performance Summary" based on literature. Then you can submit the same document that you prepared for EU.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Endless doubts and questions concerning procedure vs process. Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 22
qualprod Auditing Product and Services doubts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Doubts about the FCC regulations for the use of Bluetooth in medical equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Selling Medical devices to Iran - OFAC doubts Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
thisby_ Intended Use vs. Intended Purpose vs. Intended by the Manufacturer - Doubts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
I 6.2.2.1 Product Design Skill - Doubts - No Product Design Responsibility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
I ISO 9001 - Exclusions Doubts - Placement consultancy services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mode" FMEA and Control Plans 24
S MDD class IIa Annex V or VI: specific doubts when implented ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Aymaneh Traditional 510(k) Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Several sections of traditional 510(K) have the same or similar requirement of content. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
K 510(K) Submission (Traditional) for Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 15
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
T Executive summary for Traditional 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
L Traditional 510(K) - Software - Clinical testing? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Do we really need a traditional Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Special 510(k) or New Traditional - Currently Inactive Products Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D What is a reasonable consulting fee for preparation of a complete traditional 510k? Consultants and Consulting 11
G Need help on Device Description in the Acceptance Checklist for Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S What are the differences between Traditional 510(k) and a PMA to meet 21 CFR 814.20 ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Y OTS (Off The Shelf) Software Validation for 510k Traditional 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M A traditional 510K or Special 510K - Manufacturing facility and other changes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
L What is the difference between Traditional and Abbreviated 510(K) application ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Q Sterilisation ISO 11135 EtO-in-a-Bag (Novel Non-Traditional EtO Sterilization) Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
R Charge (Fair Prices) by a Consultant for a traditional 510k Review Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Traditional 510k Filing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Le Chiffre Listing standards in a traditional 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
BradM Do you Hulu? Moving from "traditional" television After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
M "Non-traditional" Corrective Action Procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
E Do I need submit a traditional 510(k) or Abbreviated 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
V Traditional Quality Costing vs. Activity Based Costing (ABC Quality Costing) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Use of Declaration of Conformity in Traditional 510(k)??? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L DOE Integrated Methodology - Traditional DOE vs. Taguchi Methods vs. Shainin Techniqu Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
G Predicate Material 510(k) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J US Device Listing when not the 510(k) owner Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
supadrai Possible to Submit a 510(k) if you have never, do not and cannot produce the device for which you're submitting the application? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Special 510(k) for orthopedic implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Label change - 510(k) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
G We want to add Covid-2 /19 to our air filter 510 K Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A The refund of 510(k) user fee Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Which guidance do you use for guiding the requirements of IFU for 510(k) submission? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A 510(k) review timeline 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
L Impact on 510(k) to use an additional manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A 510(k) registration and listing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12