Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission

Ashley Fu

Starting to get Involved
In the traditional 510(k) submission of a software, there are some items about voluntary consensus standards in the RTA checklist. According to the guidance, if you have utilized FDA-recognized consensus standards, you must submit a DOC and list the standards in the DOC. And if we don't utilized FDA-recognized consensus standards, does that mean we needn't to prepare a DOC or DOC is needed, but the part of standard can be omitted.

At the beginning, we thought the voluntary consensus standards were the FDA guidance relevant. Now I am aware of it refers to some EU standards such as ISO or IEC standards. all the content of the submission are prepared according to the FDA guidance except a risk management, which is prepared according to the ISO 14971.
So now there two difficulties:
How can we deal the problem about the voluntary consensus standards ?
And if we submit a DOC containing a consensus standards of ISO 14971, whether FDA will request supplement documentation to support this DOC?

if there are some misunderstanding of the guidance above, I would appreciate you point it out!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
If you haven't used any FDA recognized consensus standard, then you simply prepare the DOC and state clearly that no FDA recognized consensus standard has been used. In that case, you don't need to fill out the FDA Form 3654.

At the beginning, we thought the voluntary consensus standards were the FDA guidance relevant
No, the FDA Recognized Consensus standard does not mean "The FDA Guidances". It means the recognized standards from any "Standard Organization" and each recognized standard gets a "Recognition No." The purpose of the FDA Recognized consensus standard is to direct you to the relevant procedure for your device, which includes but not limited to, bench testing, animal testing, biocompatibility testing, risk management, etc. If you have followed (I guess at least some of these general-purpose standards you have followed) any such recognized standards then prepare a summary (I usually prepare it in a tabular format) of it by following this, along with filling up the FDA Form 3654. However, in form 3654 you will need to state if there is any FDA guidance associated with the standard.

And if we submit a DOC containing a consensus standards of ISO 14971, whether FDA will request supplement documentation to support this DOC?
If you are filling up the FDA From 3654, that means you are declaring to conform to recognized standard(s) and you may expect to provide evidence to the FDA. For example, if you have followed the ISO 14971 standard, then you may provide the Risk Management File to the FDA.

Last edited:

Ashley Fu

Starting to get Involved
Ok, fist of all, I need to certify the recognized standard(s) relevant. then prepare a summary or a test report relevant, along with filling up the FDA form 3654.
I can't get the form 3654 in the official website, would you please provide network links ?
I don't understand the table of required elements you use. how to fill in it? Do I just need to confirm if every item is included in the summary or a test report?

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
I can't get the form 3654 in the official website, would you please provide network links ?
It is already answered above, the form is no longer needed. I forgot about that.

I don't understand the table of required elements you use. how to fill in it? Do I just need to confirm if every item is included in the summary or a test report?
It is not mandatory, I just said that I provide a very simple table with the Standard No., Standard title, FDA Recognition No., Year of Publication etc. You can take help of that link that I shared about "Required Elements for a DOC" and prepare a suitable table for your submission. Also this guidance may help you to great extent. There are few templates in the PDF file that I shared before. You can use the templates for your DOC and the table will be an add on to it.

Ashley Fu

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for offering so much information for me.
There is no doubt that these PDFs are very useful, and I will learn more about them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
M Informational EU – Questions And Answers Related To The United Kingdom’s Withdrawal From The European Union With Regard To Industrial Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
O Reinstating a disqualified supplier—questions to ask before making a decision Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Two Questions about Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
R Endless doubts and questions concerning procedure vs process. Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 22
A Expanded GR&R Study questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K California's Proposition 65 - Solvent and Stainless Steel Alloy questions RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
Q New Casting Supplier System Assessment - What technical questions to ask? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S 510(k) Questions - Do we as the middle-man have to have one? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
Q Questions about the Risk-based approach to QMS processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
K 510K statement Questions 21 CFR 807.93 - Discontinued or never released for sale US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R ISO 9001:2015 Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Questions on Technical File to show it is current EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J 3 Questions about Management Review - ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3