SOP or system Work Instruction? Controlled Document - Where does one draw the line?

E

Eyespy

I have a somewhat puzzling issue

Where does one draw the line between a general machine or task item "For your information" sheet and a document that needs to be a controlled system work instruction?

The reason for my question - we have set up the normally needed "work instructions" which we control within the system - and are now developing what is called Standard Op procedures information sheets. (Similar to a piecwork IRD job write-up.)

These will be posted at each machine within the plant.... The information contained on the SOP sheets is very generic and are not directly step by step task information

Clean chips from vices
turn on machine
Load Programming
push cycle start
Align spindles
set spindle speed
Inspect and record part quality X times per X hours of operation.
Place parts in proper containers
Tag loads when finished
Turn in time card for each job ran.
Clean your area at 2 hour intervals end of shift.etc.

It was never our intention to use them as "ISO system docs due to the fact that they will soon become "known factors" for qualified operators and have no direct impact on specific "Product quality". BUT they will be included as On the Job Training criteria and our employees periodically tested and evaluated in their use.

Given that the new standards call for increased focus on proving effectiveness of training.. Should they now be individually listed in the system sign-off authorized and controlled because they are used as proof of training effectiveness?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If your question is do you have to control these? I would think yes - they're training documents.

However, I'm not sure how you can use them as proof of training effectiveness.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Have done the like ...used them as training documents (points to be sure to cover in training/ a lesson plan), they are under control as such...then used as a tool by the training coordinator much like am audit check list where the task is observed/scored, using the document as the measure..........

Not my favorite way of doing things, but it met the need of the client and gave me an out ...i didn't have to trash what someone spent years producing as procedures....ones that were loaded guns/suicide !!!!!

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Rethink having them hang at the work site....

Maybe as a reminder wouldn't be too painful come audit time....as in "Have you cleaned the chips from the vices?"

C

CJacobsen

This is interesting - the different viewpoints. Here is how I have handled this with success. Make a 'Template' for the document that carries a control. This control is for the format and areas of content only. Then you add your information and once this is done you apply a number and revision just to the information. For example, I would control a form that has a specific structure (fields, etc.) with a control on the lower left corner (my Quality Bulletin would be QuaBul-1-10/00 -1 being revision of the format of the form and 10/00 being when it was put into use). The form would have two available fields, one for number and one for rev. For the first Quality Bulletin I issue, it becomes number 1, rev 1 and also has a specific title - usually subject matter related. My control system would show the form being controlled, but I have a separate list of Quality Bulletins issued, their number, the current revision, and where distributed. Also, in this particular example, my Quality Bulletins also have an expiration date or some other indication as to how long the information should be considered valid (up to 'maintained until further notice').

E

Eyespy

Are we saying that it is not a standards document control violation to

1) keep SOP writeups in a controlled doc format (such as training manuals)use them for job training / task qualification.

2) Make copies of the SAME information without the controled form template .. give it a print date timeframe or expiration date Title it as a Q bullet or FYI information sheet?
THEN hang it on each machine or work station?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 6
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K What to include in SOP Definitions section Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C SOP Template needed for ISO 13485 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C SOP unification. Revision No, Revision history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Agile SOP for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Application of mains voltage on SIP/SOP connectors of medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M What to do in SOP Phase of Head unit testing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
W SOP examples wanted - Soil, Concrete and Asphalt testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M SOP Sample for BC/ISO22301 (Business Continuity) wanted Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 4
M Risk/Benefit vs. benefit-risk - Revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind EU Medical Device Regulations 10
V Protocol, report or SOP for threshold analysis? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 0
V Nature of references allowed to be cited in the SOP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W SOP for Vigilance reporting covering multiple requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Charging consulting fees for SOP development and guidance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
J Just Venting - Do you refer directly to MDR or you just refer to SOP's? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
E CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)... Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
S Should there be a SOP on Cybersecurity? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T The difference between SOP and Kaizen Standardization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
J Nonconforming product procedures SOP help :) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
G NIST SOP 29 - Assignment of Uncertainty - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A SOP for software validation of software in medical device IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S SOP Training/Competence in 24/7 Operation contractor company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Business Impact Analysis SOP Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 2
Jane's Do you have an SOP for communicating with regulatory authorities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Management SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
S Authorized (EC) Representative Contract and SOP EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M SOP or template for a study to Define Storage Conditions of Orthopaedic Implants EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Does anyone have an example Authority Listing SOP example? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Clinical evaluation standard operating procedure / SOP for medical devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Imported Legacy Blogs 1