SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Form and Document Approvals

H

huntdux

I just started at a new job. My title is QE/ISO Coordinator and my primary role is to create, implement and maintain the ISO system. My question is, as the Coordinator and also the author of most of the documents, do I need to have someone else approve simple forms and procedures? The policy manual, etc. is obvious, but I have other items waiting for approval that could be in use and building my audit trail. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Brad

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Re: SOP for Form and Document approvals

Is it not the company (perhaps just you in this case) who decides what level of approval is needed and how many?

It looks like you are trying to jump start a system. A single approval (yours) may indeed be appropriate for accomplishing that...but what about the people who actually have to follow said SOP's? It might be better to involve them in the approval process.
More work this way? Yep, a little. More time taken? Yep, a little. But how will the people following the SOP's react when the new guy gives them a document on how to do their tasks, or what SOPs to follow?

Regarding the approvals, you are required to do what you require yourself to do. Have a good think about the balance between ISO compliance and certification vs. what makes practical (useful) business sense in the company. You have a choice between a certificate as a paper on the wall and a quality system as a corporate culture. The initial system build that you are tasked with is a great opportunity to start/continue/refocus the culture change. Your job can be much more than a detail oriented paper pusher...if you take advantage of the opportunities like this one.

You could require Department Directors (or whatever they're called at your place) to sign off on the SOP's to document their buy-in. In that way, you can pull out their signature later when they disagree with the way it is written. I hope it never comes to that for you...but it often does..."Nominal buy-in" is not rare.

JMO

H

huntdux

Re: SOP for Form and Document approvals

Counting myself, we have a total of four people with any ISO experience. As each form is drafted, I have reviewed it with the managers and employees who will be using it. I decided it was a good way to familiarize them with the document and the ISO system. It is also helping build concensus and buy in. As far as procedures, the appropriate managers will sign off on those. Thanks for the input.

Brad

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
First of all, you may want to rethink that "I will be the author of most documents" thing, as that seriously does not work well in most cases. If you want to be the scribe and put the information into written form, fine. If you start writing documents telling people how to do their job (which the probably have a whole lot more experience doing than you do, honestly) you will not have near the buy in and ownership. Take the documentation process out to where the work is done.

Next, approvals. Of course it will be fine if you approve the documents. Just make sure that you document what you are going to do and follow through with it. You may want to, again, get yourself some ownership and buy in from your folks by assigning someone (supervisor?) from the area to approve documents, along with yourself. That way you have someone intimate to the process reviewing the nuts and bolts of the job along with yourself who can review the documents with an eye towards "does this meet the intent of the standard". It's a win-win, buy in plus accuracy.

H

huntdux

Your choice of "scribe" is a better term. I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to attempt the scenario you described. I interview, collect information, process map then sit down with the primary users to have them review and give input. We go through as many iterations as needed to be sure the documents are accurate and everyone is comfortable with them. I've seen the fallout when engineers tried telling people how to do their jobs and I want no part of it.
As far as approval, I just wanted a little reassurance that there would be no conflict of interest in the eyes of an auditor. That and my manager is looking for a way to speed the approval process due to his workload...

Brad

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Your choice of "scribe" is a better term. I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to attempt the scenario you described.
You'd be surprised at how many people/companies expect one person to write all the procedures/work instructions. I'm glad you are not one of them!:agree1:

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Your choice of "scribe" is a better term.

That and my manager is looking for a way to speed the approval process due to his workload...
Have a think on this, though....

If one person can approve it, one person can change it later.
Do you have anything going into the approval process that notifies the original author that Joe Smith just rewrote the SOP?

You seem to be handling it pretty reasonably. What about the next guy?

You might consider two approvals: One being the previous author (if available) and the other being at "X" management level or above.
Note: leave the "(if available)" in there...bad stuff happens otherwise when you retire...

Just thinkin' out loud...

H

huntdux

I won't be writing all of them, but I will write (read: adapt) the majority after I review the existing documents and collect any additional information. I will definitely be editing all of them. Content goes without saying, but I tend to exhibit mild to moderate (depending on the egregiousness of the mistakes) OCD tendencies when it comes to spelling and grammar. In this line of work, it serves me well.
Brad

H

huntdux

The Document Change Request I designed requires signatures of the Document Control clerk and the managers of all departments affected by the document being changed. Adding a line for the original author will be an easy fix. Thanks for the suggestion.
Brad

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S Clinical evaluation standard operating procedure / SOP for medical devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S Medical Device Reporting SOP (Standard operating procedure) example Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Y Versioning of Forms associated with an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Dates That Require to Stated in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) & Definitions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Lean SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Pharmaceutical Distribution Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
S Traditional 510k Filing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Complaint SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
C SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) on how to create an SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
AnaMariaVR2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Controls under FDA Regulations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K SOP for writing/drafting SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Revision date for SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
C Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for CATV operators - Example wanted TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
A SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) - the "write/right" way ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Level 2 Sampling Plan SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Request Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S Difference between Control Plan and SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Customer Feedback SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Environmental/Waste Management SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Sales Department SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Training myself on my own SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
C Parts Rework / Repair SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Definition SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) vs. Work Instruction vs. Procedures Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
T SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Training - When to assign? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
T Definition SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) vs. Work Instructions - Differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 20
Manix Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) - Are these simply Operator Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Applicability of Standard Clauses on the SOP?s / Support Departments like IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Procedure Pack SOP EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device AE Reporting SOP Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
LabCat Internal SOP for a validated (ISO) method? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L Looking for SOP Template for UDI under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Creation of SOP for completion of forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Casana Mentioning Special Characteristics in SOP FMEA and Control Plans 4
K ISO 17025 Facilities and environmental conditions SOP ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
R Good Documentation practices SOP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Warehouse Static Security Guard SOP Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S SOP Identification of Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M WI vs SOP - Shipping/Receiving Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Language of SOPs and SOP IDs Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H SOP Template for seeking regulatory clearance - MDSAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
K Looking for guidance to write an SOP on Statistical Methodologies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5