SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering

Anonymous16-2

Starting to get Involved
Hello and Happy Friday!

I just started in a new company... the person before me "created" some SOPs and assigned the document numbers AA-XX-XX-XXX-XX (where AA are the initials of the company and the X's are numbers), they really make no sense even thought there is an SOP on Writing SOPs. The format the person used is difficult to follow and if I need to create new SOPs or forms it's really not as easy. We'll need to re-write all the SOPs anyway, and while going through this exercise, I wonder if it's too late to reassign SOP numbers. I need to fix the QMS and get us to a point where we can get audited and certified, but I never experienced anything like this....

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
If they need to be re-written/revised anyway, I would implement the system that you plan to use (with an introductory executive summary that explains the rationale for the new numbering system) and do it all at the same time. I imagine that this challenge is not all that unique in companies that are purchased or merged. V1 of the new document would state something along the lines of, "replaces xx-xxx V15". Make sure you do a CPAR action for the project with rationale, validation and verification activities included.

Anonymous16-2

Starting to get Involved
Thank you @Edward Reesor!

What do you mean by introductory executive summary? is this to be added to the Change Control document? My rationale is basically to make it easier to create new SOPs and be able to create forms... would that be a good rationale?

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Basically, but if you ask yourself the standard "why" five times, you should get to the root of the summary. Stating that something is easier doesn't necessarily make it safer (and making something safer is what you need to address in a quality system).

I used the term CPAR to refer to a Corrective and Preventative Action Report/Form/Plan/Action/etc. as that's the term we use in-house. Others might call it CAPA. Its the rationale behind why something is changed, and what was done. I was nailed for not creating a CPAR after an audit revealed that I didn't have some kind of form or report. I just created the form, but the following audit asked for the CPAR that went along with it.

Hello and Happy Friday!

I just started in a new company... the person before me "created" some SOPs and assigned the document numbers AA-XX-XX-XXX-XX (where AA are the initials of the company and the X's are numbers), they really make no sense even thought there is an SOP on Writing SOPs. The format the person used is difficult to follow and if I need to create new SOPs or forms it's really not as easy. We'll need to re-write all the SOPs anyway, and while going through this exercise, I wonder if it's too late to reassign SOP numbers. I need to fix the QMS and get us to a point where we can get audited and certified, but I never experienced anything like this....

Your help is greatly appreciated!

1) Sop number should be unique and traceable for every SOP. This is the only guidelines requirement, So define first 2 to 3 digits or alphabets for department code and other 2 to 3 digits should represents the serial number of that
particular SOP. Serial number should be open to enter more SOPs in that particular department in future if there is requirement of more SOP. And if it is necessary for you to add the company code in SOP numbering system you can add 2 to 3 alphabets to represents company name, otherwise the all SOP should be printed on Company logo standard paper.

2) SOP on writing SOP is quality system guidelines requirement to harmonization the format and procedure of writing SOP on so many other activities in the company.

3) Strong QMS can be established in company by developing SOP on all QMS factors; I.e. Deviation handling system, OOS handling, OOT handling, Change control system and Market complaint handling system.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
First, thread is not related to quality manual, but document control
Moved to the appropriate forum.

So define first 2 to 3 digits or alphabets for department code and other 2 to 3 digits should represents the serial number of that
Just to be clear, "numbering" (document identification) can be done in what ever a company wants. Some companies, for example, do not use numbering systems.

@Anonymous16-2 would do well to read through the existing discussions about document numbering here. For example, see: Search results for query: document numbering

I wonder if it's too late to reassign SOP numbers. I
You can re-number your documents at any time. Point to remember is where in one document another document is referenced, the referenced has to realigned. So depending on how many documents you have this can be a significant chore.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S Clinical evaluation standard operating procedure / SOP for medical devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S Medical Device Reporting SOP (Standard operating procedure) example Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Y Versioning of Forms associated with an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Dates That Require to Stated in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) & Definitions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Lean SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Pharmaceutical Distribution Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
H SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Form and Document Approvals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Traditional 510k Filing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Complaint SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
C SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) on how to create an SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
AnaMariaVR2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Controls under FDA Regulations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K SOP for writing/drafting SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Revision date for SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
C Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for CATV operators - Example wanted TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
A SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) - the "write/right" way ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Level 2 Sampling Plan SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Request Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S Difference between Control Plan and SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Customer Feedback SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Environmental/Waste Management SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Sales Department SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Training myself on my own SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
C Parts Rework / Repair SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Definition SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) vs. Work Instruction vs. Procedures Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
T SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Training - When to assign? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
T Definition SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) vs. Work Instructions - Differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 20
Manix Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) - Are these simply Operator Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Applicability of Standard Clauses on the SOP?s / Support Departments like IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K What to include in SOP Definitions section Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C SOP Template needed for ISO 13485 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C SOP unification. Revision No, Revision history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Agile SOP for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Application of mains voltage on SIP/SOP connectors of medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 6
M What to do in SOP Phase of Head unit testing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
W SOP examples wanted - Soil, Concrete and Asphalt testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
pashah Looking for Clinical Evaluation SOP acc. MEDDEV and EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 1