Starting to get Involved
Hi,
I'm updating some SOPs and the previous writer has sections for:
  • Reference Documents
    • SOPs, WIs, Forms
  • Templates and/or Records
    • i.e. Approved Vendor List, Completed checklist, Maintenance Logs, etc
  • Flowcharts
There has been a discussion that I should consolidate these sections and just put everything under "Reference Documents". Just to be clear, as it is written above, a form would not be filled out and once it is filled out it would become a record.

Is there an ISO standard for this?

Thanks in advance...:geek:

JimS

Involved In Discussions
I assume you're talking about a section in the document for Reference Documents, which you currently have broken out into three sections.

Whatever works for you. ISO only specifies that you control documents deemed necessary to ensure product quality, or words to that effect. It doesn't tell you how to set them up.

Our SOPs and WIs have a section called "Referenced/Related Documents" and it lists any documents specifically called out in the body of the document (Referenced) as well as documents whose purpose is related or can help provide a bigger picture (Related). This could include SOPs, WIs, visual aids, etc., even the occasional external document like an equipment manual.

Keep it simple and do what works for your company.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi,
I'm updating some SOPs and the previous writer has sections for:
  • Reference Documents
    • SOPs, WIs, Forms
  • Templates and/or Records
    • i.e. Approved Vendor List, Completed checklist, Maintenance Logs, etc
  • Flowcharts
There has been a discussion that I should consolidate these sections and just put everything under "Reference Documents". Just to be clear, as it is written above, a form would not be filled out and once it is filled out it would become a record.

Is there an ISO standard for this?

Thanks in advance...:geek:

Do whatever makes sense and works for you...Don't concern yourself with the likes or dislikes of others (especially 3rd parties)

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
I choose to just have a "Related Documents" section - it is not broken out into types of documents and records.

pbojsen

Involved In Discussions
In our template we have

Internal Reference Documents:
External Reference Documents: (but only if there are any, otherwise this part is not added.)

Our convention is to put instructional information and examples in the template itself, in hot pink text that is easy to see, i.e. you won't miss deleting it when you create your actual document. You could do something like that so the order they put the documents in has a defined hierarchy.

Top Bottom