Definition SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) vs. Work Instructions - Differences?

T

tomjess

Can anyone tell me the difference between SOP's and Work Instuctions.

Thanking you in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
Kinda vague

tomjess said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between SOP's and Work Instuctions.

Thanking you in advance
My take on them is that SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) are generally not as detailed as Work Instructions. In your quality structure they would be between the QAM and work Instructions.

I believe the terms are fairly interchangable though. Just depends on how the system is set up.

JAmes

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I use what I call "quality procedures" (others might call them SOPs) to address the quality requirements set forth by the quality manual. The work instructions I've established deal more on a product specific level (how do you clean a part, special assembly instructions, etc).

Hope this helps.

(Don't forget the old ISO 9000 documentation pyramid!)

R

ralphsulser

My usage has been that SOPs are Level 2 docs that define: Who, What, When

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define: How

This has worked good for us in both QS9000 and TS16949:2002

Last edited by a moderator:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
ralphsulser said:
My usage has been that SOPs are Level 2 docs that define: Who, What, When

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define: How

This has worked good for us in both QS9000 and TS16949:2002
Procedures are level 2 docs that define Who, What, When.

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define How.

I has seen SOPs at some companies that fit the criteria of Level 2, and SOPs at other companies that fit Level 3. It would depend on what information your SOPs are trying to convey as to what level they below.

Randy

Super Moderator
Miner said:
Procedures are level 2 docs that define Who, What, When.

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define How.

I has seen SOPs at some companies that fit the criteria of Level 2, and SOPs at other companies that fit Level 3. It would depend on what information your SOPs are trying to convey as to what level they below.

Who says? Where is this written in the "thou shalts" of life or business?

It's all gibberish and gobbeltygoop,

Bubba

Involved In Discussions
As others have said before me, it all depends on how your system is set up. At my current company we had SOPs that told us Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. Since we were acquired by another company, these SOPs have been edited into Work Instructions and are now accompanied by process maps. Don't get caught up too much in the difference at someone else's business. Just make sure they are defined in your documentation system for your business needs.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Bubba said:
As others have said before me, it all depends on how your system is set up. At my current company we had SOPs that told us Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. Since we were acquired by another company, these SOPs have been edited into Work Instructions and are now accompanied by process maps. Don't get caught up too much in the difference at someone else's business. Just make sure they are defined in your documentation system for your business needs.

They are all "instructional documents" of one sort or another. They all give guidance, information and instruction. What you call them is up to you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S Clinical evaluation standard operating procedure / SOP for medical devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S Medical Device Reporting SOP (Standard operating procedure) example Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Y Versioning of Forms associated with an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Dates That Require to Stated in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) & Definitions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Lean SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Pharmaceutical Distribution Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
H SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Form and Document Approvals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Traditional 510k Filing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Complaint SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
C SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) on how to create an SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
AnaMariaVR2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Controls under FDA Regulations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K SOP for writing/drafting SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Revision date for SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
C Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for CATV operators - Example wanted TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
A SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) - the "write/right" way ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Level 2 Sampling Plan SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Request Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S Difference between Control Plan and SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Customer Feedback SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Environmental/Waste Management SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Sales Department SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Training myself on my own SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
C Parts Rework / Repair SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Definition SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) vs. Work Instruction vs. Procedures Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
T SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Training - When to assign? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
Manix Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) - Are these simply Operator Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Applicability of Standard Clauses on the SOP?s / Support Departments like IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Casana Mentioning Special Characteristics in SOP FMEA and Control Plans 4
K ISO 17025 Facilities and environmental conditions SOP ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
R Good Documentation practices SOP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Warehouse Static Security Guard SOP Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S SOP Identification of Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M WI vs SOP - Shipping/Receiving Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Language of SOPs and SOP IDs Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H SOP Template for seeking regulatory clearance - MDSAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
K Looking for guidance to write an SOP on Statistical Methodologies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K What to include in SOP Definitions section Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C SOP Template needed for ISO 13485 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9