SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device

Fjalar

Registered
Hi guys,

I am trying to understand if spare parts/replacement parts are allowed to be supplied to an MDD compliant, discontinued, class I (self-certified) medical device in the EU. The product is not and will not be MDR compliant, and does not fall into Class I Transitional provisions under MDR article 120.
The manufacturer and manufacturing site are based in the EU.

Supply of accessories to that medical device would not be allowed (as they carry a CE marking in compliance with MDD). As the device needs accessories as well to carry out its intended use, it would seem as though the customer wouldn´t be able to use the device, once the accessory/-ies needs replacement, even if spare part replacement is allowed.

I don´t seem to find guidance in the MDD, MDR, MDCG or elsewhere for this situation. I would be grateful if anyone could clarify.
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
well, spare parts are not medical device or accessories to medical device. Therefore the MDD, MDR, or MDCG won't talk much about it.
Therefore, as I understand it, they are allowed so long as the device under MDD is in the field, and has not reached its end of life, and doesn't have accessories that needs to be replacement.

Shimon

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
Spare parts are mentioned in MEDDEV2.1/1:

Spare parts supplied for replacement of existing components of a
device, the conformity of which has already been established, are not
medical devices. If spare parts, however, change significantly the
characteristics or performances of a device with regard to its already
established conformity, such spare parts are to be considered as
devices in their own right.

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
considering the article 23 of MDR, if your spare part falls in article 23, 1. I suppose you can supply it for the lifetime of your MDD device.
Schermata 2021-05-21 alle 16.22.27.png

Fjalar

Registered
Thanks all for input. There indeed isn´t much in legislations about spare parts, so some interpretation needs to be done. I would tend to agree with you, that spare parts for the MDD compliant device ought to be allowed during the lifetime of the device.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Brazil - Import Medical Device Spare Parts - Without license Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J FDA definition of a complaint - Customer orders spare parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
shimonv Is UDI required for Spare Parts? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Spare Parts - Sourcing a small replacement part Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A US patient gets Medical Device in Europe and needs spare parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Exporting batteries (spare parts) to China China Medical Device Regulations 2
M Requirements on how long you have to keep Spare Parts for Medical Device Repairs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Accessories or Spare Parts need CE MARK? Breast Pump Feed Containers EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A How long must I provide service or spare parts for medical devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 10
B What is Customer Owned Property for moulds and spare parts factory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Manufacturing of Molding and Spare Parts - Is design clause 7.3 applied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
D Spare Parts for Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
T How do you Control your Spare Parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Process Equipment Spare Parts Vendors - Evaluation and selection of suppliers - 7.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Mitutoyo Ban on Selling Repair/Spare Parts Product to US World News 15
P PPAP for Spare Parts - Low Volume - Occasional Production APQP and PPAP 5
D Relabelling a component that will be sold as a spare part - Do I become legal manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Six Sigma in Spare Part Manufacturing - How to start? Six Sigma 5
A Accessory (CE required) or Spare Part (no CE) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How will you spend your spare time? Hobbies? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
Marc British government loans MG Rover US$12.2 million - Brother, can you spare a dime? World News 1
S Calibration of Spare Equipment In Storage for 2 Years - Do I have to Calibrate? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Is handling chemically treated parts safe? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 8
aleexander Grounding of metallic accessible parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
K 10 parts, 4 operators, 3 replications and each part has 3 location to measure. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Unused Service Parts in Newly Manufactured Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M MSA angle issue - Nylon parts using Aberlink 3D Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I What revalidation is necessary if we change parts in a WFI loop ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
S For Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA) Is 100% Inspection Required? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
S Defibrillator Protection applicability When using Multiple applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
F Recording Nonconforming Purchased Parts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Suggestions for Ishikawa for hyperdetailed customer - plastic molding automotive parts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R Is a FAIR required on parts that we design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Packaging Long Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Separation of F-type applied part and remaining parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
John C. Abnet VDA 6.3 - Question 7.3 - "blocking of parts" VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
I When is necessary to have RoHS declaration on non-electrical parts? REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
Z Rapid audit template for plastic parts manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
C Scrapping on production floor - Setup parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Calibration of "Master Parts" Used as Gauges Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 33
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A AS9100D 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8