SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

SPC Control Limit Calculation

S

Stevenli

Folks,

I am still confusion about the SPC control limit calculation. Let's take traditional Xbar-R chart as an example, in the SPC manual it's stated as control limit is Xbar+/-A2*Rbar. However in many six sigma material it's expressed as Xbar+/-3Sigma. So I know I am confused by how to estimated the variation in different situation.

Any explanations would be helpful. Thanks.

Steven

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Those who state that the control limits are calculated directly from the total standard deviation are simply wrong. The limits are referred to as 'three sigma limits' but the fundamental way control charts work is that the variation limits for the subgroup average are calculated using the within subgroup standard deviation. for an Xbar R chart this is done using the average range.

my recommendation is to invest in a GOOD book on SPC. Anything by Donald Wheeler will be good. the book "innovative control charting" by Steven Wise and Douglas Fair is excellent and covers many different types of processes....

D

Darius

control limit is Xbar+/-A2*Rbar expressed as Xbar+/-3Sigma
Xbar+/-A2*Rbar = Xbar+/-3Sigma_within_variation_estimate

Because Sigma (in your equation) or Sigma_within_variation_estimate = Rbar/d2

A2= 3/d2

As Donald Wheeler said in "Advanced topics on SPC" (more or less), there are several variation estimates wich can be applied in it's specific field of application.

This variation estimate, as Bev said is not total variation estimate (the traditional sigma), but the variation within a subgroup of samples,and try to capture or show the variation without special causes, the minimal variation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Subgroup Size for Control Limit Calculations - SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Point Outside of Control Limit for R Chart - This is not SPC...It's GR&R study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Control chart limit calculation confusion concerning SPC control limit calculation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 27
K SPC for One-sided Specification - Setting the Lower Control Limit Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
C Analogies for Out of Control Conditions - SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
E Control of Electronic Traveler and SPC Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
O Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) always required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M SPC (Statistical Process Control) Book Recommendations wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
I How to use Statistical Process Control (SPC)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Hami812 Collecting Data for SPC Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J Definition Control - Definition of Control in SPC (Statistical Process Control) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Recommend books on SPC (Statistical Process Control) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) books - Suggestions and reviews please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
O SPC Statistical Process Control with All data Using Minitab Software 4
J What SPC (Statistical Process Control) software is your company using? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
N SPC Light Program - Easy way of Cpk extraction from multiple control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Touch Screen Capable Software suggestions for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
H Getting A Supplier to use SPC (Statistical Process Control) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P ISO 9001 requirement for SPC (Statistical Process Control) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Which control chart to use for SPC control for torque moment which value is min 15 Nm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Batguy SPC (Statistical Process Control) on Go/No-Go Checks Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
M SPC (Statistical Process Control) analysis and status on two manufacturing plants Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Statistical Process Control (SPC) for Clean Room Environments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T Conceptual Questions on SPC - Operating characteristic curve of a control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Using SPC Control Charts to Reduce AQL Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
V SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Medical Device Company Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C Centerless Grinding (SPC) - My process is extremely out of control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
J Learning Statistical Process Control - I need a crash course in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
C Starting a Small Lot SPC (Statistical Process Control) program Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
I SPC (Statistical Process Control) and SQC (Statistical Quality Control) - Difference? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Reaction to Out of Control SPC Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
R SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) - I have data, now what? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S Reaction Plan for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Steve Prevette Example SPC Control Charts posted by the Department of Energy EFCOG Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) useful? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 72
Marc When to Recalculate Control Limits? SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
C SPC: How to set up control limits on SPC chart based on historical data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
W Warping / Flatness SPC - X bar-R chart - Control is Max 0.15 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5