SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question

P

psun03

I am a beginner with SPC and I am having trouble deciding which chart to use. I have been researching on control charts and I can't figure out which is the best type of control chart to use. Either an X Bar Chart or an X Moving Range Chart

Here is the data I am collecting.

I am in the healthcare industry and I am looking at the turn times between cases that go into the OR. For example, one a procedure is done the patient is wheeled out and then the next patient is wheeled in. I am measuring the time between when the first patient wheels out to when the next patient wheels out. There are 20 OR Rooms and each OR has a different number of scheduled cases each day. So OR 1 could have 3 short cases, where OR 15 could have 2 long cases. Also, the type of case as determines the length of the turn time. For example, to prepare the OR for brain surgery takes a lot longer (45 minutes turntime) than eye surgery (15 turn time).

I am averaging the turntime for each day and created a X Bar Chart. My question is am I using the right chart? Should I be distinguishing between surgery types? Brain Surgeries vs Eye surgeries?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Curtis317

I am a beginner with SPC and I am having trouble deciding which chart to use. I have been researching on control charts and I can't figure out which is the best type of control chart to use. Either an X Bar Chart or an X Moving Range Chart

I am in the healthcare industry and I am looking at the turn times between cases that go into the OR. For example, one a procedure is done the patient is wheeled out and then the next patient is wheeled in. I am measuring the time between when the first patient wheels out to when the next patient wheels out. There are 20 OR Rooms and each OR has a different number of scheduled cases each day. So OR 1 could have 3 short cases, where OR 15 could have 2 long cases. Also, the type of case as determines the length of the turn time. For example, to prepare the OR for brain surgery takes a lot longer (45 minutes turntime) than eye surgery (15 turn time).

I am averaging the turntime for each day and created a X Bar Chart. My question is am I using the right chart? Should I be distinguishing between surgery types? Brain Surgeries vs Eye surgeries?
You have multiple process streams (OR rooms) and multiple processes (brain surgery/eye surgery). You should have an X bar Moving Range chart for each. Yes I can see that would be a lot of charts. It could also take some time for the data to show you anything useful. However that would be the only way to go UNTIL you have a much better characterization of the data and the processes.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I just answered a similar question and that answer mostly applies here as well. What is it that you want to know about the data? What are you trying to control? There are lots of different statistical tools you can use, but what you use is wholly dependent on what you want to learn about the data.

I

isoalchemist

:2cents:I'd take a step back from the tools for a minute and ask what problem you are trying to solve? Is it to better schedule the OR's, measure the process time of the procedures, or measure the efficiency of the staff ???? The tools and the approach to data collection will differ depending on the end goal. IMHO wheels out to wheels in averages without some differentiation is not the best approach.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Mixed data collection (SPC) for different mold cavities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Change the way you think about SPC - Automatic Data Collection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Time frequency estimation for SPC data collection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
L Beginning SPC data collection: Metal Stamping Company - Need some advice Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
L SPC: Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
I SPC on Cyclic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E SPC data from multiple Excel files Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M SPC - What Data do I Collect? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D IMR (Individuals and Moving Range) Chart for Short-Run SPC - How much data to include Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Moving SPC Data from Variables to an Attributes Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Almost embarrassed to ask... SPC UCL/Data Range Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Q How to determine the average baseline for the following data in SPC Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
F SPC Data Analysis - Excel Spreadsheet I can use for Diameters and Perpendicularity Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Best Way for SPC via Optical Comparator with output to Computer for Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Hami812 Collecting Data for SPC Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
D SPC Software that will satisfy auto/furniture data submissions - Opinions wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
O SPC Statistical Process Control with All data Using Minitab Software 4
C Collecting SPC Data Electronically? CNC Lathes, CNC Mills and CNC Grinders Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T SPC Data - Autocorrelation - How do I interpret this result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
J Online Monitoring of SPC Data and Charts in Real Time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
Z SPC Data presentation - The best way to present histograms in a dashboard format Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
T Monthly SPC original data sheets - What should be done with the reports? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) - I have data, now what? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
B New to Minitab - What Data to use for SPC? Using Minitab Software 3
C SPC: How to set up control limits on SPC chart based on historical data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Cpk for attribute data? Performing SPC on capacitors - Capacitance measurement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
C SPC for calibration check data? Daily gram scales check - What is acceptable? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L Portable SPC Data Collectors and Industrial 'Hardened' Computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
M Predictive Maintenance vs SPC (Statistical Process Control) Data Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
W Falsifying SPC Data - What type of disciplinary action would you take Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
A Non-normal Distributions in SPC - How do I Normalize Data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 55
S SPC - Go/No Go Sampling - Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Electric terminal crimping machines - Is SPC appropriate for this process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0