SPC/Sampling on Bulk Material (Continuous Nonwoven process - total weight)

F

FGrace

I have heard that there has been some debate regarding the validity of SPC
data taken on a bulk material process. Has anyone heard anything about
this?
Also, Does anyone out there have a method for performing SPC on a textile
process such as adhesive coating a nonwoven and monitoring the total weight
of the product? I am currently taking sample across the width from a yard
taken off each roll produced and then using the average for the X-bar and
Range. I do not think that this would be considered a statistically valid sampling plan. Our roll size is 1,000 linear yards per roll.
Any help would be really great.

Thank you,
Frank C. Grace

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Newsgroups: misc.industry.quality
Subject: Re: SPC of Bulk Material (Continous Textile Process) QS and ISO 9000
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:50:13 GMT
X-Complaints-To: [email protected]
X-Trace: news1.rdc1.va.home.com 966394213 24.6.191.29 (Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:50:13 PDT)

Frank,

Donald Wheeler, in one or more of his SPC press books gives a method...book title escapes me at the moment. It is listed under chemical industry topics, I think. Anyway, here is the summary:

1. Use XBar-R for tracking "within batch" variation.
2. Use X-MR (subgroup of 2) for tracking "between batch" variation.

I am doing this now for "Product" (vice Process) Control Charts on incoming materials plotting several tests (including weight in Oz/YD^2) on laminated and coated fabrics for helium filled vehicles and it meets my needs for process monitoring of my supplier.

I am using a sample size of 5...stratified random sampling where the 5 are drawn on different warp and fill yarns across the web of the fabric at one or both extreme ends of the finished roll. We have chosen each roll (100 to 800 yards) as the sampling interval, and every roll in each lot is tested.

Hope this helps. E-mail if you want to see a chart.

Dave Mulholland [email protected]

"FrankCGrace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have heard that there has been some debate regarding the validity of SPC
> data taken on a bulk material process. Has anyone heard anything about
> this?
>
> Also, Does anyone out there have a method for performing SPC on a textile
> process such as adhesive coating a nonwoven and monitoring the total weight
> of the product? I am currently taking sample across the width from a yard
> taken off each roll produced and then using the average for the X-bar and
> Range. Any help would be really great.
>
> Thank you,
> Frank C. Grace
> [email protected]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Using the Chip Box and Sampling Bowl to Teach SPC Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
S Sampling for SPC: Consecutively or Not Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
D When do you reduce SPC sampling? And How? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Govind SPC and Acceptance Sampling - Is Acceptance Sampling Obsolete? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
S SPC - Go/No Go Sampling - Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Marc SPC Sampling for Software Manufacturers - SPC and PokeYoke in software? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
P SPC for machining processes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
L SPC - Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Electric terminal crimping machines - Is SPC appropriate for this process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
bobdoering Handy training tip for SPC - the Check Engine Light Analogy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
QMMike SPC Software for MAC computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc SPC based Dashboards - By Steve Prevette (November 2017) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
H SPC Work Instructions (WI) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
E SPC for Dummies - The correct meaning of all the graphs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Recommendations on SPC Software or Excel SPC add-in(s) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
A Not all characteristics follow a Normal Distribution - How do you do SPC Chart Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T SPC in Insurance Back Office Operations Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C SPC for Particulate Alert/Action Levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Q Mixed data collection (SPC) for different mold cavities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How to Start SPC from the ground up! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
I SPC on Cyclic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R Quality Management & SPC Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S How to Start SPC in a Shaft Grinding Section Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A I-MR SPC used for Inspection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
E SPC data from multiple Excel files Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Where to Get SPC Training to Measure our Processes? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12