SPC (Statistical Process Control) software recommendations

• Thread starter Casey Cochran - 2009
  • Start date
C

Casey Cochran - 2009

Got the OK today to start gathering info on what we need for a new SPC program. Currently we are using QI Analyst. We don't like it because it does not communicate well with our measuring equipment, it is slow and very hard for associates to use. If there is a misread, they can't correct it (happens all the time) and an admin has to go in and search for the misread and change it. Makes it pointless. Anyway, I'm not going to list all our dislikes about our current system. We have about 20 cells that will need access with about one hundred processes using SPC. We use Mitutoyo, and a few other, measuring devices. Many product requires multiple measurements per part. (critical measurements) Our current software takes about 10 minutes to measure 5 parts @ 5 critical spots. Production. does not like this. Want real time tracking with out of control alerts sent to admin. Most importantly, we want it easy for the associates to understand what is going on with their process after inputting their data. We don't require our floor associates to have a degree in statistics and don't feel they need one to be able to see shifts in there process. We also want it to be as simple and as fast as possible because associates are more likely to do it more if it is not a pain. I have looked at some of the big names and sat in on some presentations, and they will all sell you on their software. What are the experts opinions / recommendations of a good, simple, effective SPC program?

Thanks for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I use MeasurLink by Mitutoyo. We have used it for about 10 years. No communication problem between hardware and software. It was the main reason for selecting it. It has served us well. The program is stable. I have never been impressed with their tech support. You will need an IT expert to properly configure everything.

C

Casey Cochran - 2009

That is one in consideration. Is it one that "Joe" could use to check his process with out an extensisive training. We have about 350 associates that will be using it. Extensisve training could take a while.

B

Bigfoot

Casey Cochran said:
Got the OK today to start gathering info on what we need for a new SPC program. Currently we are using QI Analyst. We don't like it because it does not communicate well with our measuring equipment, it is slow and very hard for associates to use. If there is a misread, they can't correct it (happens all the time) and an admin has to go in and search for the misread and change it. Makes it pointless. Anyway, I'm not going to list all our dislikes about our current system. We have about 20 cells that will need access with about one hundred processes using SPC. We use Mitutoyo, and a few other, measuring devices. Many product requires multiple measurements per part. (critical measurements) Our current software takes about 10 minutes to measure 5 parts @ 5 critical spots. Production. does not like this. Want real time tracking with out of control alerts sent to admin. Most importantly, we want it easy for the associates to understand what is going on with their process after inputting their data. We don't require our floor associates to have a degree in statistics and don't feel they need one to be able to see shifts in there process. We also want it to be as simple and as fast as possible because associates are more likely to do it more if it is not a pain. I have looked at some of the big names and sat in on some presentations, and they will all sell you on their software. What are the experts opinions / recommendations of a good, simple, effective SPC program?

Thanks for your help.
Casey, You might also want to check out Kurt Manufacturing's SPC Software. It has been a few years since I worked with it, but it was Easy to set-up the part files, Easy to interface with the hand tools we used for measurement, Easy to train the operators in using it, and most of all it was EASY for them to use it. As a cautionary note - It was not a data presentation program (ala Minitab), but a very solid performing, functional, easy to use SPC / Data collection software program for the Manufacturing shop floor.

D

Darius

Check Infinity QS, they have a sort of control pannel with the variable's status (if you are going to check too many variables).

Also I found this file on the net ( in a Quality Magazine), but don't remember where.

Attachments

C

Casey Cochran - 2009

Thanks a lot for all your help. I am so new at this (not really my job) but I was wondering if anybody had a Q&A form or list of questions I need to ask when deciding what we need in an SPC program so I can be more prepared in the meetings and provide a well suited software. We are looking at Hertzler, Win SPC, Mitutoyo, Powerway, and Synergy 2000 so far. Any dirt on these?

Also, what are some of the neat bells and whistles that I need to look for? Anything to make it easy and visual to floor associates.

Thanks
Casey

O

O. Vazquez

We use Applied Stats, in that one we get around 20 pcs, one of those has attached a Optical Comparator and a box (multiplexer from Mitutoyo) together, on the other pcs is a box ea, you can get different levels of users(groups) like admin, set-up, operators, inspectors; if you need it you can imprt or export data to different software like Excel or to a text file. It is kind of difficult to start with it because it has multiple choices to set up the network and the files but you can create master files and after that it is kind of ease, people with no experience in computers can deal with it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
O Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) always required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M SPC (Statistical Process Control) Book Recommendations wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
I How to use Statistical Process Control (SPC)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Definition Control - Definition of Control in SPC (Statistical Process Control) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Recommend books on SPC (Statistical Process Control) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) books - Suggestions and reviews please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
O SPC Statistical Process Control with All data Using Minitab Software 4
J What SPC (Statistical Process Control) software is your company using? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
T Touch Screen Capable Software suggestions for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
H Getting A Supplier to use SPC (Statistical Process Control) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P ISO 9001 requirement for SPC (Statistical Process Control) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Batguy SPC (Statistical Process Control) on Go/No-Go Checks Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
M SPC (Statistical Process Control) analysis and status on two manufacturing plants Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Statistical Process Control (SPC) for Clean Room Environments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
V SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Medical Device Company Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Learning Statistical Process Control - I need a crash course in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
C Starting a Small Lot SPC (Statistical Process Control) program Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
I SPC (Statistical Process Control) and SQC (Statistical Quality Control) - Difference? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) - I have data, now what? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S Reaction Plan for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) useful? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 72
J User Friendly SPC (statistical process control) Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
Tim Folkerts Is it Time for New Rules for SPC (Statistical Process Control)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 22
C SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Management Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc Definition Statistical Process Control (aka SPC) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Q AIAG Releases the 2nd Edition of their SPC (Statistical Process Control) Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
J ISO 9001:2000 - SPC (Statistical Process Control) requirements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Steve Prevette SPC (Statistical Process Control) Overview Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 101
L Defining Pre-Control Zones - Statistical Process Control (SPC) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S AIAG Statistical Process Control (SPC) Manual - Page 81 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Predictive Maintenance vs SPC (Statistical Process Control) Data Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
D ISO 11462-1 Guidelines for implementation of Statistical Process Control (SPC) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T I need an add-in for excel that I can use for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
Raffy Statistical Process Control - ISO 11462-2:2001 Key elements of an SPC System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K SPC (Statistical Process Control) Training and Courses - Seeking suggestions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Marc SPC (statistical process control) charts and SD (System Dynamics) models Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 18
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
I SPC Statistical Analysis in Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Which Statistical Tool for Pressing Components other than SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A P & F value in Minitab Statistical Studies (SPC) and the 8 points rule Using Minitab Software 7
A SPC Training - I want to develop my knowledge in statistical tools Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Statistical Analysis SPC Trend explanation needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Statistical Tools outside of SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
W SPC all the time? Does QS9000 require statistical control on all processes? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
C Buying Minitab / other SPC or Statistical software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q CQI-26 SPC Short Run Supplement Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1