SPC, The Big Picture

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

justncredible

You sure that is not a ad?

I recently had contacted infinityQS about a project I am working on. As well as 5 or 6 other SPC software sellers. Infinity has good follow up on the information request and are almost to eager for the sale. They might have gotten my business except for the yearly service cost (SMA). This article reads just like the sales package they sent, which by the way is a great sales package.

* I am not endorseing infinityQS, nor do I use the products from them.

With that said on to the article, he provides just enough information to perk your interest without providing detailed case examples, I feel this is done to get you to call them. No doubt these guys know SPC and SPC application, as such large scale SPC rollouts can be rough. I think getting the operators to micro manage the quality is a bad idea. Last thing I want is dropped production due to needless adjustments based on a insignificant trend. That I am monitoring for some other reason.

But that is what I use SPC for, I want to see the normal without influence process and make changes based on historical data.......

U

Umang Vidyarthi

You sure that is not a ad?

I recently had contacted infinityQS about a project I am working on. As well as 5 or 6 other SPC software sellers. Infinity has good follow up on the information request and are almost to eager for the sale. They might have gotten my business except for the yearly service cost (SMA). This article reads just like the sales package they sent, which by the way is a great sales package.

* I am not endorseing infinityQS, nor do I use the products from them.

With that said on to the article, he provides just enough information to perk your interest without providing detailed case examples, I feel this is done to get you to call them. No doubt these guys know SPC and SPC application, as such large scale SPC rollouts can be rough. I think getting the operators to micro manage the quality is a bad idea. Last thing I want is dropped production due to needless adjustments based on a insignificant trend. That I am monitoring for some other reason.

But that is what I use SPC for, I want to see the normal without influence process and make changes based on historical data.......
This is an article. What makes you think it could be an 'Advertisement'. Please share the basis of your presumption. Do you mean to say that the Editors of 'Quality Digest' are unable to differentiate between an 'Article' and an 'Advertisement'?!

Umang :cool:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
This is an article. What makes you think it could be an 'Advertisement'. Please share the basis of your presumption. Do you mean to say that the Editors of 'Quality Digest' are unable to differentiate between an 'Article' and an 'Advertisement'?!

A great deal of the editorial content of QD is provided by consultants who use the medium to promote their businesses. Sometimes the articles provide useful information, and sometimes not. At times it seems clear that the authors don't have much to say that's original or particularly insightful, and are obviously using the opportunity to advertise.

J

justncredible

If this quote taken from a sales flyer for Infinity is aganst any rules please delete.

Making informed business decisions in real-time can be challenging. Thorough data analysis often occurs after products have already been produced, making it impossible to control quality during the manufacturing process. ProFicient is your solution
Now if you read the article, it to me seems like a case example of the use of his product. That is just my opinion, but I might not have formed it without having read the sales packet so recently. Also make note I am not saying he is wrong or the information bad. I am noting that the lack of details leaves one seeking more information to the greatness of this global SPC program that is so successful.

And I totally agree with Jim, QD is doing that.

Me personally I think it is borderline unethical to run articles wrote by a advertiser. But they do have the post author note which has his afilatation.

For any SPC program I would not suggest taking any action based on daily information. You end up chasing a dragons tail, rushing to each bump in a chart, trying to assign a cause. I have seen major waste from people doing exactly that. Sure they might solve a small problem but at enormous cost. I would rather collect the data and find the problems that can effect the most cost effective gain.

G

Geoff Withnell

I agree that this article is largely motherhood and apple pie, with no real informative content to the typical quality professional. And the idea of senior management looking at SPC results on a daily basis?! Come now, that is neither feasible, nor imho, desirable. I was SPC coordinator in a large plant with about 100 x-bar & r charts running daily on two shifts. So we were taking about 3000 plus data points a day. This results, on standard Shewhart type charts, in about 10 out of control points a day just by random chance. Throw in a few points from known assignable causes (e.g. change in source material lot would sometimes cause a shift), and we usually had about 15-20 points to look at on any given day. Most of these were not anything really actionable, so running though this with management would be a colossal waste of everybody's time. Any action items that needed management support got brought to their attention, and the entire SPC program and the ongoing results were part of the quarterly management review. SPC was owned by the operators, and was their tool to keep their process running "straight, hot, and normal". Myself and the process engineers existed to facilitate the operators handling of the tough cases, and this is how it should be.

Geoff Withnell

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

Note the following tagline on the article:

About the author
Douglas C. Fair is vice president of statistical applications at InfinityQS International. Fair is the co-author of two books: Innovative Control Charting,Practical SPC Solutions for Today’s Manufacturing Environment (ASQ Quality Press, 1998) and Principles and Methods for Quality Management in Health Care (Aspen Publishing, 2000). He’s a member of the American Society for Quality.

The article may or may not have merit, but companies like InfinityQS do publish to get their name and product out there.

The usual approach is to show a need, then promote their product as the solution. This can be very subtle like embedded screenshots, etc.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Note the following tagline on the article:

About the author
Douglas C. Fair is vice president of statistical applications at InfinityQS International. Fair is the co-author of two books: Innovative Control Charting,Practical SPC Solutions for Today’s Manufacturing Environment (ASQ Quality Press, 1998) and Principles and Methods for Quality Management in Health Care (Aspen Publishing, 2000). He’s a member of the American Society for Quality.

The article may or may not have merit, but companies like InfinityQS do publish to get their name and product out there.

The usual approach is to show a need, then promote their product as the solution. This can be very subtle like embedded screenshots, etc.
The tagline 'About the author' is always present in all the articles of Q/D as well in other magazines. I (as well as others) have posted quite a few such articles. If the majority here opines this to be a taboo, then I will refrain from sharing any in the future. Moderators are also at full liberty to delete the objectionable posts.

2. Anyone having objection to a post, can report it to the moderator by clicking on the report button, in stead of starting an argument :argue: about right and wrong.

Umang

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The tagline 'About the author' is always present in all the articles of Q/D as well in other magazines. I (as well as others) have posted quite a few such articles. If the majority here opines this to be a taboo, then I will refrain from sharing any in the future. Moderators are also at full liberty to delete the objectionable posts.

2. Anyone having objection to a post, can report it to the moderator by clicking on the report button, in stead of starting an argument :argue: about right and wrong.

Umang
I don't think anyone started an argument, there were just some general observations about the content of QD. If you think there's something worth sharing, you should share it, imo.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Looking at the article, I'd say it isn't bad, though isn't exactly earth-shaking. I agree with the primary point - in order to get benefits from SPC, you must use the results. Wallpapering a facility with SPC charts won't accomplish anything in itself - someone must heed the cry from the charts and do something with it.

Now, whether that is best done with formal daily meetings, or less formally with operators calling attention to things happening on their charts, is subject to discussion.

I create 3,000+ charts and reports monthly for my employer. Certainly not all of them are evaluated by the CEO - but some are. Others are only used at much lower levels in the organization. I'd make the point that there should be a graded approach towards how the SPC charts are used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Spec Limits in SPC charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q CQI-26 SPC Short Run Supplement Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A SPC procedure / flow chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Informational SPC in Batch Processing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
B Handling lower detection limits for SPC and process performance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
P SPC for machining processes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
L SPC - Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Electric terminal crimping machines - Is SPC appropriate for this process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
bobdoering Handy training tip for SPC - the Check Engine Light Analogy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
QMMike SPC Software for MAC computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc SPC based Dashboards - By Steve Prevette (November 2017) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
H SPC Work Instructions (WI) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
E SPC for Dummies - The correct meaning of all the graphs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Recommendations on SPC Software or Excel SPC add-in(s) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
A Not all characteristics follow a Normal Distribution - How do you do SPC Chart Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T SPC in Insurance Back Office Operations Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C SPC for Particulate Alert/Action Levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Q Mixed data collection (SPC) for different mold cavities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How to Start SPC from the ground up! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
I SPC on Cyclic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R Quality Management & SPC Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S How to Start SPC in a Shaft Grinding Section Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A I-MR SPC used for Inspection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
E SPC data from multiple Excel files Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5