SPC with many data points from one dimension

M

Mary - QA Manager

Hello all, I have just started the SPC projects at my new position. When it comes to reading a CMM printed out report I am lost. We have a new addition to our parts and our customer requires us to measure blades (up to 85 of them) and at multiple sections on each blade. How can I turn all these pages of Info into something I can plot in Excel? Currently the CMM print out are not Excel compatible. :confused:

Thanks!

Mary

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
A better description of the part and what you're measuring would be helpful. Also, what are you trying to accomplish with regard to SPC?

M

Mary - QA Manager

Hi Jim, the parts are different stages of compressor rotor-axial, High Pressure.
There are a few reasons: PPAP data and to reduce Inspections.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
More questions:

• What is the manufacturing process?
  • What do you mean by "different stages"?
  • What are you measuring on the blades? Thickness? Width? Length?

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Without knowing all the details, MOST software (including PCDMIS as far as I know) can output the data into an Excel format. In fact, if I remember correctly, PCDMIS also has a statistical function that will do analysis of selected data for you within the program.
It may take a while to set up the program properly, but once you do its done and the data will be there for you to use and abuse however you choose :)

M

Mary - QA Manager

Great to know. Our in-house CMM programmer is only able to cut and paste. We have yet to send him to any training...English is his second language and he is very hesitant to go to any training.
Perhaps I need to call our PCDIM Application Engineer to come in?

Danny Hoover

Involved In Discussions
Mary,
I recommend you post your question here:
http://www.pcdmisforum.com
Be sure and include the software version and MR(Maintainance Release) in your post.
It can be done rather easily, (but only if you know how to do it!)
You will get immediate help, and many users speak many languages.
Thanks again,
DH

M

Matt33

Approximately how many characteristics are being measured? 85 blades sounds more like 85 samples of a sample size = 1. PCDMIS can save the output file as an ASCII file such as a .CSV file. Usually these are somewhat "messy" but software can be used to read the ASCII file and write it into a more consumable format.
You have data, but you need to get the data organized so that you can change this into information.

Top Bottom