Spec Limits in SPC charts

JasnahKholin

Starting to get Involved
If it matters, this is semiconductor fabrication. Distributions on most features are pretty tight and all processes are done by machine so there isn't a lot of variation which could be attributed to operator skill or human error. I use the example of hole diameter earlier because the majority of my background is machining.

Beth Savage

Helping organizations optimize quality
Leader
PQ Systems
One argument against adding spec lines to an individuals chart is that the focus changes from process stability and predictive signals to simply acceptability or not. If you do choose to include spec lines on your control charts, make sure that the lines are clearly distinct from the control limits to avoid confusion. Also make sure that anyone who works with the charts or views them has been trained on the difference between the control limits and the specification limits. This applies to management as well as (if not more than) operators.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I many times have added specification (or goal) lines to SPC charts. The Control Limits are calculated at the three standard deviation level based solely upon the data and identified as such. The specification line(s) help you visualize if your process is stable THEN IS IT [original edited] in spec, or out of spec. If there is a trend, is it heading towards or away from the goal/spec.

Now, there are some that propose using the specification limits (or some mathematical interpretation of them) as the "control limits" and from most SPC references, that would indeed be inappropriate.

Sentence above originally read - The specification line(s) help you visualize if your process is stable - is it also stable and in spec, or out of spec. I have modified it due to Beth Savage's valid concern with that sentence. Original intent was to imply "If your process is stable - then you can easily check it against the specification".

Last edited:

Beth Savage

Leader
PQ Systems
The specification line(s) help you visualize if your process is stable - is it also stable and in spec, or out of spec.

How would you use specification lines to help visualize whether or not a process is stable? The data for spec lines come from the customer, management, or engineering to indicate the allowable spread. Spec limits do not come from the process, so how can they communicate anything about the stability of the process? Control limits help assess process stability because the data is from the process.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
How would you use specification lines to help visualize whether or not a process is stable? The data for spec lines come from the customer, management, or engineering to indicate the allowable spread. Spec limits do not come from the process, so how can they communicate anything about the stability of the process? Control limits help assess process stability because the data is from the process.

Indeed, the spec lines come from the customer, or regulations or management's desires to improve (and what takes priority to improve).

BUT we must separate the functions of the specification limits and the control. limits. The control limits tell me if the process is in control or not. The specification limits tell me if I am meeting specs. This gives us four possibilities, as compared to Dr. Deming's Red Bead Experiment:

1. The process is stable and not meeting specs. This is the usual state for the red beads - the average is 10 red beads, the lower control limit 1 and the upper control limit is 19. I plot the stated goal of 3 (which yes may be from pull it out of your you know what) and see the UCL and the average is above 3, so I am never going to meet the goal of 3 without a process change.

2. Let us say we remove some of the red beads from the bucket. In this case, it is "easy" to remove the beads, in reality, it will take some work to identify the proper changes. We get an improving trend - let us say 7 below average (or 8, or 9 depending on your author). We have a process not yet meeting the spec, but we have imparted momentum - we have an improving trend. Not stable, not meeting the spec, but heading in the right direction.

3. Let us say we removed enough beads to have the UCL be less than 3. And we have enough data and knowledge to declare the process stable. Now we have a stable process (GOOD) and a process that is consistently meeting specification (DOUBLE GOOD). We want to stay here. Though should hold out that management could yet decide that less than 3 is not good enough, and desires to lower the spec to zero. Then we go back to step 2..

4. Now let us say (this is a real story from the desert of Washington state) it is a dry day, low humidity, and all red beads are attracted to the paddle and the white beads are repelled. We now exceed the upper control limit established in step 3, perhaps or perhaps not exceeding the specification. I now have an Unstable Process which is heading the wrong direction against the Specification. VERY BAD. But I find a can of anti-cling spray and spray down the beads and all returns to normal (step 3).

Attached is a slide from a publicly-cleared presentation of a real example. Notice the lower right hand chart illustrates an SPC chart with a one sided specification (the dotted green line) and we can see the trend of performance getting worse with time, which we were taking action on (and some of it was being more aware of reporting events). Note the Pareto Chart in the lower left to identify the source of events.
I will admit the stoplight in the upper left corner was less useful, it was just based upon days since last event, not the trend.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-18 094504.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-18 094504.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Beth Savage

Leader
PQ Systems
Thanks for keeping the red bead experiment alive and available for all to view and learn!

The only statement I take issue with is "specification lines help you visualize if your process is stable." I agree with all of your other statements.

Control limits help you visualize whether your process is stable but spec lines do not. Spec lines do provide information, but they are not connected in any way to process stability. I often encounter folks who confuse spec lines and control limits so I believe this is an important distinction for the OP and others who may follow this thread.

Top Bottom