Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC

Sourav

Posts Moderated
If a manufacturer is interested to get a clearance for a labeling change from Rx to OTC can this be done through a special 510(k)? This is the only change that is being done to the device which was cleared earlier by the FDA for home use and there are absolutely no design changes that are being done to the device. To be able to support the OTC the manufacturer is working on Human factors validation study.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Sourav,
Have a look at the FDA guidance on The Special 510(k) Program.
In a nutshell, you are changing the intended user and intended environment. You need to submit perfromance data such as human factors validation study to support this change. The perfromance data needs to be in accordance with a well established method.

The FDA guidance says:
"To be appropriate for a Special 510(k), the results from verification and validation associated with design or labeling changes should be able to be placed in a summary or risk analysis format without losing information necessary to support SE."

I am doubtful that a summary of a human factors study is sufficient to support substantial equivalence. Furthermore, you many need to change somethings in the IFU or the device itself to make it suitable for OTC.

Shimon

Sourav

Posts Moderated
Hi Shimonv,

Thanks for your thoughts!

I did go through the FDA guidance on the special 510(k) program.

Regarding the Intended User and Use environment - It still remains the same as the Rx device has been cleared for Home use already.

Regarding Summary of performance - According to the guidance a summary of the performance data means conditions where the agency does have to interpret the raw data, like images, graphs, statistical data. We would be providing the results of the Human Factors validation study after analysing and interpreting the data internally.

As I have mentioned earlier there is absolutely no design change to device that is already cleared.

shimonv

Okay.. I guess I misunderstood you. If your device has already been cleared for home use why are you doing a human factors validation study? and when you write about labelling change, do you mean IFU, device label or both?

Shimon

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
This will depend on how well you prepare your "Risk Analysis" document to support the changes. You will need to identify a well-established method to evaluate the changes. But, I doubt to some extent, FDA may consider it as change in the "Intended Use" based on discussions in this thread where the FDA rejected the submission as the Predicate was "Rx Only" while the subject device was "OTC". However, it is worth a try to submit it via a special 510(k). You have nothing to lose, except it will take two more additional months if it is converted to a traditional 510(k).
1589446751685.png

Last edited:

Sourav

Posts Moderated
Okay.. I guess I misunderstood you. If your device has already been cleared for home use why are you doing a human factors validation study? and when you write about labelling change, do you mean IFU, device label or both?

Shimon
Okay so let me explain you the exact situation.

The device has been cleared for home use and is being used at home conditions but by the order of a physician hence a Rx Device in the US. All the other regions the device is being sold as OTC.

Now the manufacturer wants OTC clearance for the US as well. There are no such predicate device cleared for OTC as the subject device.

RX to OTC is a changes to the Indications for Use and in turn a labeling change.

Here is a similar example that I found on the Guidance.

1589448601973.png

shimonv

Okay, now I understand better :)
The example you provided is perfect for special 510(k). EMC testing is a well established method and often performed by a third party lab.
And, as you probably noticed, they give allowance to change the environment; not the intended user.
In essence, you are taking the decision making or treatment away from the healthcare professional and giving it over to the lay person.
FDA doesn't "swallow" such things easily.

With therapeutic devices, I've seen cases where the manufacturer developed a less powerful device for the home use.
With diagnostic devices, I've seen cases were the manufacturer changed the device and/or labelling to address concerns for misinterpretations.

I am all for shortcuts, but this is a tough one and even more so since you wrote that there is no predicate device approved for OTC.

Shimon

Sourav

Posts Moderated
Okay, now I understand better :)
The example you provided is perfect for special 510(k). EMC testing is a well established method and often performed by a third party lab.
And, as you probably noticed, they give allowance to change the environment; not the intended user.
In essence, you are taking the decision making or treatment away from the healthcare professional and giving it over to the lay person.
FDA doesn't "swallow" such things easily.

With therapeutic devices, I've seen cases where the manufacturer developed a less powerful device for the home use.
With diagnostic devices, I've seen cases were the manufacturer changed the device and/or labelling to address concerns for misinterpretations.

I am all for shortcuts, but this is a tough one and even more so since you wrote that there is no predicate device approved for OTC.

Shimon
Okay that sounds reasonable

However I would like to continue the debate, hope you dont mind.

If I would say in one of my recent clinical trial which was designed to use the device for a more duration than what it is cleared for and we did not see any side effects or adverse events that could have even close to a life threatening risk. and in terms of risk i would say the device is definitely very very safe and have proven results for the same.

Now what would be your thoughts on the process.

shimonv

I would say good argument... but not for a Special 510(k).
The special 510(k) program, as I understand it, is suitable for a very narrow type of changes.

I think you owe me chocolate :)

Shimon

Sourav

Posts Moderated
I would say good argument... but not for a Special 510(k).
The special 510(k) program, as I understand it, is suitable for a very narrow type of changes.

I think you owe me chocolate :)

Shimon
Thanks for all your time and inputs. I definitely owe you a bigger argument ;). I ll come back if I find something useful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
Q Special 510(k) or New Traditional - Currently Inactive Products Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
E Special 510(k) for software change Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Submit a Special 510(k) or "Documentation by our own" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
J Can we submit data with Special 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
D Question surrounding Special 510(k) in regards to Software Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
C Locating Approved Special 510(k) Submission Data from 1997 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Is a Special 510(k) required? Change in the Plasticizer of a Nasogastric Tube 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B Deciding when to submit a Special 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Special 510(k) FDA experience? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
D Design Verification for special 510(k) - Size modification to an existing medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Design control documentation provided in special 510(k) + FDA response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Application for special 510(k) - What are the documents to submit to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Sanctioned Interpretations - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.2.3.1.2 - Customer-designated special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J NADCAP - Supplier Special Processes Certifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N Special Vs Non-Special Processes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
D Customer-Designated Special Characteristics vs. Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.3.3 - Documentation of all Special Characteristics in Drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Special Procedures for Non Aerospace Customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9110C Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes for Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C AS9102 Form 2 Information - Special Processes - Plating AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Metal Radiographic and Ultrasonic Testing - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11