Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description

primavesvera

Starting to get Involved
Hey, guys!

This is my first time preparing a special 510(k) and I went through all related topics and guidelines to find the things that are bothering me and I seem to be stuck on one particular - description of the modified device.

In the first submission (I wasn't working here back then), the company provided a device description containing basically everything, from intended use, requirements, risk analysis, testing, every single thing was there.

Now that I have to do a modification of the description of the device, I thought I would be appropriate to use the same document and only insert and highlight the changes.

Do you think this is FDA acceptable? Or is there some other way that I don't know?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am aware of the requirements from 807.78.

Hi yvescroce,
Personally, I am not in favour of perpetuating a mistake.
It also depends on how long has it been since the first submission? if it's been a while then your modified device description may end-up looking quite different than the original version.
You have to be smart about this and don't confuse the reviewer.

Shimon

primavesvera

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the answer.
It has been exactly three years since it was cleared.
I just want to avoid the confusion and I thought somebody here might have an interesting solution for how to deal with the changes.

I see, than my advise to you is to not bind yourself to the work of your predecessor. Build an appplication and see if it makes good sense; perhaps someone else can have a look at it. In the worst case you can fall back to the original structure.

Shimon

mihzago

Quite Involved in Discussions
In the main body of the submission I would only include the description of things that changed, and reference the previous submission or include full description in the appendices.

How great I found this topic. I have a question related to Device Description as well.

I was wondering if someone can help me and explain how to write Device Description document?

According to Acceptance Checklist for Special 510(k)s I figured out that Device Description should be one document containing all parts which are stated within section B (from 10 to 14).

But, I came across a different opinion - Device Description should be a separate document. So, related to part 10 - I need one document, related to part 11 - another, etc.

I'm now so confused and don't know how to start.

Hi Timothea,
The device description should contain all the elements contained in section B (10-14). That is the normal practice.

Shimon

Top Bottom