Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Hey, guys!

This is my first time preparing a special 510(k) and I went through all related topics and guidelines to find the things that are bothering me and I seem to be stuck on one particular - description of the modified device.

In the first submission (I wasn't working here back then), the company provided a device description containing basically everything, from intended use, requirements, risk analysis, testing, every single thing was there.

Now that I have to do a modification of the description of the device, I thought I would be appropriate to use the same document and only insert and highlight the changes.

Do you think this is FDA acceptable? Or is there some other way that I don't know?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am aware of the requirements from 807.78.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi yvescroce,
Personally, I am not in favour of perpetuating a mistake.
It also depends on how long has it been since the first submission? if it's been a while then your modified device description may end-up looking quite different than the original version.
You have to be smart about this and don't confuse the reviewer.

Shimon

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the answer.
It has been exactly three years since it was cleared.
I just want to avoid the confusion and I thought somebody here might have an interesting solution for how to deal with the changes.

shimonv

I see, than my advise to you is to not bind yourself to the work of your predecessor. Build an appplication and see if it makes good sense; perhaps someone else can have a look at it. In the worst case you can fall back to the original structure.

Shimon

mihzago

In the main body of the submission I would only include the description of things that changed, and reference the previous submission or include full description in the appendices.

How great I found this topic. I have a question related to Device Description as well.

I was wondering if someone can help me and explain how to write Device Description document?

According to Acceptance Checklist for Special 510(k)s I figured out that Device Description should be one document containing all parts which are stated within section B (from 10 to 14).

But, I came across a different opinion - Device Description should be a separate document. So, related to part 10 - I need one document, related to part 11 - another, etc.

I'm now so confused and don't know how to start.

shimonv

Hi Timothea,
The device description should contain all the elements contained in section B (10-14). That is the normal practice.

Shimon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Special 510(k) or New Traditional - Currently Inactive Products Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
E Special 510(k) for software change Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Submit a Special 510(k) or "Documentation by our own" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
J Can we submit data with Special 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
D Question surrounding Special 510(k) in regards to Software Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
C Locating Approved Special 510(k) Submission Data from 1997 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Is a Special 510(k) required? Change in the Plasticizer of a Nasogastric Tube 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B Deciding when to submit a Special 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Special 510(k) FDA experience? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
D Design Verification for special 510(k) - Size modification to an existing medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Design control documentation provided in special 510(k) + FDA response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Application for special 510(k) - What are the documents to submit to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Sanctioned Interpretations - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.2.3.1.2 - Customer-designated special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J NADCAP - Supplier Special Processes Certifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N Special Vs Non-Special Processes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
D Customer-Designated Special Characteristics vs. Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.3.3 - Documentation of all Special Characteristics in Drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Special Procedures for Non Aerospace Customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9110C Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes for Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C AS9102 Form 2 Information - Special Processes - Plating AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Metal Radiographic and Ultrasonic Testing - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11