Special Characteristic question from Automotive CSR

andrei iuganu

Involved In Discussions
Hello group.
I have the following text in customer CSR:
The characteristics classified shall be managed in the product development and process development phases according to the method in Table.

Characteristic Classification
Severity Index FMEA
Process control
special

9 – 10
Cpk ≥ 1,67 or 100% control
key / critical
7 – 8
Cpk ≥ 1,33 o 100% control
important
5 – 6
It’s applied what agreed with CUSTOMER

so...
we just execute the part. Should I not include SC in the control plan?...
I ask, because we are doing execution, theoretically - if I interpret correctly it does not apply "in the product development and process development phases".

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello group.
I have the following text in customer CSR:
The characteristics classified shall be managed in the product development and process development phases according to the method in Table.

Characteristic Classification
Severity Index FMEA
Process control
special

9 – 10
Cpk ≥ 1,67 or 100% control
key / critical
7 – 8
Cpk ≥ 1,33 o 100% control
important
5 – 6
It’s applied what agreed with CUSTOMER

so...
we just execute the part. Should I not include SC in the control plan?...
I ask, because we are doing execution, theoretically - if I interpret correctly it does not apply "in the product development and process development phases".

No one except the customer can answer your questions about their requirements.

andrei iuganu

Involved In Discussions
Your chart looks a little convoluted.

Normally, for the severity, critical is 9 or 10

Please see the Ford chart in this thread.
Severity of 9 or 10 should be identified as Special characteristic? (elsmar.com)
My confusion is generate by the fact that special characteristics are related to dimensional aspect in general and not to process. So if in a drawing i have 20 special characteristics i need to put them in CONTROL plan? this is madness. i have at list 88 aproved products whith moore ore less than 25 special characteristics .

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
If assignment was made by customer and SC are marked on customer's drawing, you have no other choice, as to transfer it into your PFMEA and control plan. If SC were assigned by your team, then discuss it internally. Look on severity examples presented in FMEA manual and ask yourself: "Is it really so detrimental?"

andrei iuganu

Involved In Discussions
If assignment was made by customer and SC are marked on customer's drawing, you have no other choice, as to transfer it into your PFMEA and control plan. If SC were assigned by your team, then discuss it internally. Look on severity examples presented in FMEA manual and ask yourself: "Is it really so detrimental?"
That's what I was afraid of, the client established these characteristics and they are marked on the drawing. Another thing that confuses me is if I have to make Cpk for production?

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
You need to improve your quotation process, by challenging customer's expectations related to SC.
It is cost related matter, so maybe they will resign from few of them.
Now it is almost certainly too late.
After pre-launch you need to perform capability analysis for all of them.
These results will tell you, if you will put sampling or 100% inspection into control plan, as required by CSR.

andrei iuganu

Involved In Discussions
You need to improve your quotation process, by challenging customer's expectations related to SC.
It is cost related matter, so maybe they will resign from few of them.
Now it is almost certainly too late.
After pre-launch you need to perform capability analysis for all of them.
These results will tell you, if you will put sampling or 100% inspection into control plan, as required by CSR.
Honestly..I even sent them an email on this subject and to see what agreement I get on this subject.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Special Characteristic - IATF Definition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Are Product Special Characteristic(s) Mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Crimpshrine13 PFMEA Scope - Oversized Special Characteristic FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Severity of 9 or 10 should be identified as Special characteristic? FMEA and Control Plans 10
W Special Characteristic Control in Production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Material and surface coating identified as special characteristic Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Does TS require WIs to have special characteristic symbol? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Special Characteristic Symbols on Prints used by the various OEM's FMEA and Control Plans 15
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Special Controls and Standards Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Validation of special processes - thread closed Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
John C. Abnet Special Status Notification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
A IRIS audit - Discussion about Special Processes General Auditing Discussions 11
S SOP Identification of Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Critical Characteristics & Special Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 2
P Letter to file or special 510k or traditional 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Special 510(k) for orthopedic implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
H AS9100D clause 8.5.1 f) & 8.5.1 g) - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C AIAG-VDA PFMEA - 1st special Characteristics? [5step vs. 6step] FMEA and Control Plans 3
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7