Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices

MikeKilkelly

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here can help me better understand the FDA regulations regarding Special Controls for Class II medical devices.

As I understand it Special Controls are required for Class II devices and include Performance Standards, Post-market Surveillance, Patient registries, Special Labelling requirements, etc

CDRH has developed special controls guidance documents that specify requirements for individual devices. These Guidance documents are not available, however, for all or even the majority of Class II devices.

(Note: Product I am working on is a Powered Muscle Stimulator (Sec. 890.5850) and whilst a draft Class II Special Control Guidance Document was drafted in April 5, 2010, it was withdrawn on 27th Apr 2015.

Question 1:

In the absence of a special controls guidance document, what documents the particular special control requirements for a device?

Question 2:

There is now a Medical Device exemption list for Class II devices. How does the FDA decide which devices are exempted? Is it possible to propose a device for exemption?

(Note: While 890.5820 devices are not on the exemption list some others that are very similar are on the list.).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Mike,
Product I am working on is a Powered Muscle Stimulator (Sec. 890.5850)
This is a good starting point but for definite answers you'd have to tell us the ProCode (3-letter code) - there may be several under each regulation number. The ProCode page is very specific about the Special Controls prescribed/available for the specific type of devices.
whilst a draft Class II Special Control Guidance Document was drafted in April 5, 2010, it was withdrawn on 27th Apr 2015.
It's usually not a bad idea to voluntarily follow such guidance document even if it was withdrawn. Also not a bad idea to research what were the reasons for the withdrawal.
In the absence of a special controls guidance document, what documents the particular special control requirements for a device?
All and any clues would be found on the ProCode page. Sometimes a class II device doesn't actually have much of any Special Controls defined, though...
How does the FDA decide which devices are exempted?
I can't say I know exactly / for sure, but generally I think it's based on long safe (i.e. uneventful) use histories of devices under those codes. I vaguely recollect that they discussed it to some extent in the last guidance document that announced the last exemptions batch (several months ago IIRC).
Is it possible to propose a device for exemption?
I guess so, though I wouldn't expect any results too quickly.

Last edited:

monoj mon

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here can help me better understand the FDA regulations regarding Special Controls for Class II medical devices.

As I understand it Special Controls are required for Class II devices and include Performance Standards, Post-market Surveillance, Patient registries, Special Labelling requirements, etc

CDRH has developed special controls guidance documents that specify requirements for individual devices. These Guidance documents are not available, however, for all or even the majority of Class II devices.

(Note: Product I am working on is a Powered Muscle Stimulator (Sec. 890.5850) and whilst a draft Class II Special Control Guidance Document was drafted in April 5, 2010, it was withdrawn on 27th Apr 2015.

Question 1:

Question 2:

There is now a Medical Device exemption list for Class II devices. How does the FDA decide which devices are exempted? Is it possible to propose a device for exemption?

(Note: While 890.5820 devices are not on the exemption list some others that are very similar are on the list.).

May be I will first look for the 510(k) summaries of the predicate devices as well as similar reference devices. Also, based on the 21 CFR Sec. 89.5850, I have found one guidance document, https://www.fda.gov/media/71804/download . As Ronen has said, I would also suggest to use the Guidance document that have mentioned, for reference. If there is still doubt, FDA always welcomes a pre-sub meeting in order to express their current thinking on the device type that you are working on.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
If there is still doubt, FDA always welcomes a pre-sub meeting in order to express their current thinking on the device type that you are working on.
Seems a bit of an overkill to me. Pre-subs take a lot of time. I would start with an email / call to DICE.

Last edited:

monoj mon

Seems a bit of an overkill for me. Pre-subs take a lot of time. I would start with an email / call to DICE.
True that, it indeed takes time. From requesting a probable date from the very busy schedule of the responsible person from FDA to have the in person/telephonic conversation, may be a long way for this special case of Mike. Email or call to DICE shall serve the purpose, but if the answers are not that simple and straightforward, I think sometime they may ask for a formal request with all the necessary information about the device.

Watchcat

Hmm. I see this rather differently, but most of the time I will end up in the same place as Ronen E and monoj.

Special controls are anything your risk analysis indicates you should do to reduce risk, that is above and beyond general controls, e.g., biocompatibility testing, If you provide a compelling justification for your controls, then CDRH will "decide" that you have to have the special controls you already have. Neat trick, huh?

(I don't think CDRH ever came up with a special control itself, doubtful it would know how. It's lack of understanding of risk is why it is having such a hard time with De novos.)

That said, if you are dealing with a well-established 510(k) device, then the special controls have probably been well established too, so the controls in the 510(k) summaries for predicate devices will usually cover them. If they are really well established, FDA may have even reached a confidence level to put them into a guidance. I would still look to my own risk analysis first and foremost, but that's me.

Last edited:

monoj mon

Hmm. I see this rather differently, but most of the time I will end up in the same place as Ronen E and monoj.

Special controls are anything your risk analyses indicates you should do to reduce risk, that is above and beyond general controls, e.g., biocompatibility testing, If you provide a compelling justification for your controls, then CDRH will "decide" that you have to have the special controls you already have. Neat trick, huh?

(I don't think CDRH ever came up with a special control itself, doubtful it would know how. It's lack of understanding of risk is why it is having such a hard time with De novos.)

That said, if you are dealing with a well-established 510(k) device, then the special controls have probably been well established too, so the controls in the 510(k) summaries for predicate devices will usually cover them. If they are really well established, FDA may have even reached a confidence level to put them into a guidance. I would still look to my own risk analysis first and foremost, but that's me.
That's very well-put @whatchcat, the risk analysis usually should provide the content for special controls. So, it's very important to look for predicates and reference devices and if there are any adverse events related to them, specifically related to the safety and effectiveness of the device. If there is any performance standard then follow it to the best extent, if not then look for relevant standards and justify why those are suitable for your device. Establish a thorough post-market surveillance procedure, do in-depth clinical evaluation to justify if there is no need of clinical investigation. Conduct a regulatory evaluation for the labeling by going through Labels, IFU and any other relevant document from your predicate and reference devices. And always evaluate whether or not these information are enough to provide evidence for the safety and effectiveness of your device.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
That's very well-put @whatchcat, the risk analysis usually should provide the content for special controls. So, it's very important to look for predicates and reference devices and if there are any adverse events related to them, specifically related to the safety and effectiveness of the device. If there is any performance standard then follow it to the best extent, if not then look for relevant standards and justify why those are suitable for your device. Establish a thorough post-market surveillance procedure, do in-depth clinical evaluation to justify if there is no need of clinical investigation. Conduct a regulatory evaluation for the labeling by going through Labels, IFU and any other relevant document from your predicate and reference devices. And always evaluate whether or not these information are enough to provide evidence for the safety and effectiveness of your device.
I'm not sure where all this is coming from...?
I see here a mixture of common sense, EU regulatory requirements/expectations, supposedly best practices and what not. But actually very little actual FDA requirements.
I'm not saying that acting this way doesn't make sense, I'm just saying this is not how official FDA clearance works.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Common sense / being wise aside, Special Controls are not some abstract concept open to a lot of personal interpretation. You might argue that implementation over the years has been lacking on CDRH's part, but the concept and the means are well-defined and I don't think musing about it and putting one's own spin on it will promote a smooth clearance process.
Special controls are anything your risk analysis indicates you should do to reduce risk, that is above and beyond general controls
I wonder where this is coming from, in a 510(k) context. The entire 510(k) framework contains very little reliance on (or reference to) each submitter's risk analysis. This has been a big difference between the USA and EU premarket paradigms for many years (though it's starting to change).
CDRH will "decide" that you have to have the special controls you already have.
AFAIK CDRH doesn't assign Special Controls on a case by case basis, but on a ProCode basis. They are set upfront (when a class II classification is created), and though they may be updated from time to time for most submitters they are a given (or they don't exist, and are not deemed necessary).
I don't think CDRH ever came up with a special control itself
Then I wonder who came up with all the existing Special Controls guidance documents.
That said, if you are dealing with a well-established 510(k) device, then the special controls have probably been well established too, so the controls in the 510(k) summaries for predicate devices will usually cover them.
That is a strange statement. Where specific Special Controls are established, they are stated on the ProCode webpage and there's no need to look for them in 510(k) summaries. Stated Special Controls are mandatory, so any predicate under the same ProCode would have had to comply with them, regardless of whether they are mentioned in the 510(k) summary (and some summaries are so telegraphic that they're not). The exception is a Special Control that was introduced after the predicate has already been cleared.
If they are really well established, FDA may have even reached a confidence level to put them into a guidance.
If they're not established to a level of a published guidance document, a performance standard or the likes, they're not Special Controls, as these are always specific, written, standardised and mandatory.

Last edited:

monoj mon

I'm not sure where all this is coming from...?
I see here a mixture of common sense, EU regulatory requirements/expectations, supposedly best practices and what not. But actually very little actual FDA requirements.
I'm not saying that acting this way doesn't make sense, I'm just saying this is not how official FDA clearance works.
My explanation is based on this from FDA's website,

1583908947415.png
And also, the explanation I provided is based on my experience for the 510(k) submission(s) that I made; specially for the "Performance Testing - Clinical"; in my cases I always provided few pages summary for the "Performance Testing - Clinical" and of course it is totally different from the "Clinical Evaluation" structure from EU perspective. For the "Performance Testing - Bench" my risk analysis file plays a great role in identifying the testing that has to be conducted for the safety and effectiveness of the device, if we also consider the adverse events related to the predicate device. These, I am saying, in the event when I don't find a clear list of special controls for my device or the "Product Code".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q US FDA UDI Compliance Question - Class II (Special Controls) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Special Controls and Standards Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.2 - Appearance Items require special controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Contact with special interest groups IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
B SPECIAL PROCESS VALIDATION & REVALIDATION Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
A Special Characteristic question from Automotive CSR Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
N Validation of special processes - thread closed Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
John C. Abnet Special Status Notification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
A IRIS audit - Discussion about Special Processes General Auditing Discussions 11
S SOP Identification of Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Critical Characteristics & Special Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 2
P Letter to file or special 510k or traditional 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Special 510(k) for orthopedic implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
H AS9100D clause 8.5.1 f) & 8.5.1 g) - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C AIAG-VDA PFMEA - 1st special Characteristics? [5step vs. 6step] FMEA and Control Plans 3
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
armani Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Sanctioned Interpretations - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.2.3.1.2 - Customer-designated special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1