SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Definition Special Process Scope - CQI-11 & CQI-12 - Definition

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
With reference to CQI-11 the Special Process Plating Assessment and CQI-12 the Special Process Coating Assessment. Can anyone confirm the scope of these requriements? We produce parts that have a surface treatment, but how do you know if it is special enough?

I would say that it is run of the mill "zinc passivation" and therefore not a special plating or coating process? I really don't want to spend money on the actual documents from the AIAG, so if someone could let me know what they think, I would be greatful.

I maybe missing the point totally on this, but with some customers asking for compliance to these requirements I wanted to be sure not miss anything!

TIA

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: CQI-11 & CQI-12 Definition of Special Process Scope

With reference to CQI-11 the Special Process Plating Assessment and CQI-12 the Special Process Coating Assessment. Can anyone confirm the scope of these requriements? We produce parts that have a surface treatment, but how do you know if it is special enough?

I would say that it is run of the mill "zinc passivation" and therefore not a special plating or coating process? I really don't want to spend money on the actual documents from the AIAG, so if someone could let me know what they think, I would be greatful.

I maybe missing the point totally on this, but with some customers asking for compliance to these requirements I wanted to be sure not miss anything!

TIA
Hello Manix,

Are you a supplier to the automotive industry? If yes, you may want to contact your customer and find out if this particular surface treatment is considered a "special process" by them. Many Covers have great suggestions, but the ultimate decision is your customer's.

P.S. Get their response in writing. Email is fine. Make it part of the (PPAP) file.

Stijloor.

D

D.Scott

TIA
At this point I can only discuss CQI-12 as I haven't gotten into the others yet.

My take is the special processes are the 10 processes identified in the process tables A through J.

The requirement states "All requirements of the CSA (the assessment associated with CQI-12) are generic and are intended to be applicable to all organizations performing the coating operations addressed in this document, regardless of type, size, and product".

At this point I am taking that to mean we need to read each process table to determine applicability to our process and prepare an audit for all that apply. Our COO is meeting next week with one of the drafters of the document to clarify a number of questions we have and I will gladly share those results with you here in the Cove when we get them.

As your question seemed to address coating, the CQI-12 definition follows:
"Coating: A finish used to create a protective and/or decorative layer, for example, paint, varnish, lacquer, or other, as well as the process of treating an object with a coating. Generally it is used to refer to paints and coatings applied in an industrial setting as part of the original equipment manufacturer's (OEM) process". I would have no idea if what you describe falls into that category but if not, there are many others it may fall into. :)

Personally, IMHO, if your customers are starting to require compliance I would spend the money on the documents.

I will get back to this thread if we are able to clarify anything.

Dave

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource

Thanks a lot, I will keep trying to look into this. :thanks:

S

shawnann

This may help you out a little (hope it attaches). I received this from our customer who received it from their customer (got that :lol:). This should give you a bit of an idea if you are required to deal with this.

We're just now starting to do this CQI-12 stuff, so it's too new for me to help out too much.

Attachments

D

D.Scott

I promised to get back to you on this so here is a preliminary, undocumented and unconfirmed report. Because there is no documentation as yet I am not publishing the name of the source yet. I will say he was one of the core members listed in the CQI-12 document and one of the drafters of the assessment. As soon as I receive the promised confirming documents I will post them. In the meantime, here is the result of the conversation between our VP/COO and the core member:

"I [our VP/COO] met with [core member, company] about the new CQI-12 Self Assessment. He informed me that it does not apply to FCT's commodities and that we could have our customers contact him to explain if necessary (NOTE: if you PM me, I will give you his contact info). He will also contact Dave Fowler at Chrysler and have him draft an official letter that we can use stating the same. He will work on getting some AIAG interpretations published stating the same. He advised there is a lot of confusion about this 'coating' self audit. It applies to E-coat, Autophoretic, and Dip-Spin organics. It does not apply to FP, Nylon, Thread adhesives, etc. I asked about the aqueous washing requirements and was advised that if it was part of our process, then it does not apply. It would only apply if we sold this as a product offering alone."

This is certainly good news for us and like providers but I am sure the clarification doesn't make everyone as happy as it makes us. Unfortunately there are still a lot of companies this does apply to.

We feel confident this clarification will be published very soon and I will make a point of following up this post as soon as I have an "official" document.

Dave

M

Matz_Germany

I promised to get back to you on this so here is a preliminary, undocumented and unconfirmed report. Because there is no documentation as yet I am not publishing the name of the source yet. I will say he was one of the core members listed in the CQI-12 document and one of the drafters of the assessment. As soon as I receive the promised confirming documents I will post them. In the meantime, here is the result of the conversation between our VP/COO and the core member:

"I [our VP/COO] met with [core member, company] about the new CQI-12 Self Assessment. He informed me that it does not apply to FCT's commodities and that we could have our customers contact him to explain if necessary (NOTE: if you PM me, I will give you his contact info). He will also contact Dave Fowler at Chrysler and have him draft an official letter that we can use stating the same. He will work on getting some AIAG interpretations published stating the same. He advised there is a lot of confusion about this 'coating' self audit. It applies to E-coat, Autophoretic, and Dip-Spin organics. It does not apply to FP, Nylon, Thread adhesives, etc. I asked about the aqueous washing requirements and was advised that if it was part of our process, then it does not apply. It would only apply if we sold this as a product offering alone."

This is certainly good news for us and like providers but I am sure the clarification doesn't make everyone as happy as it makes us. Unfortunately there are still a lot of companies this does apply to.

We feel confident this clarification will be published very soon and I will make a point of following up this post as soon as I have an "official" document.

Dave

Are there any news about CQI-11 & CQI-12?

Best Regards
Matz

M

mv06wtown10 - 2008

Hi all,

I'm newly involved with a company that produces paint for automotive companies. It looks like our company must comply with CQI-12 (Coating System Assessment), but I don't have the official document from AIAG because the company doesn't want to buy it.

Can anyone provide me with the exact specifications from CQI-12? (processes--paint temperature, viscosity, etc.--that must be monitored...and how often, which manufacturing equipment must be tested, etc.)?

Thank you for your help!

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Hi all,

I'm newly involved with a company that produces paint for automotive companies. It looks like our company must comply with CQI-12 (Coating System Assessment), but I don't have the official document from AIAG because the company doesn't want to buy it.

Can anyone provide me with the exact specifications from CQI-12?(processes--paint temperature, viscosity, etc.--that must be monitored...and how often, which manufacturing equipment must be tested, etc.)?

Thank you for your help!
Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

If you do not actually engage in coating processes at your location, I am not so sure that you must have this document. Do you have customers requiring this? Check the contract and possibly PPAP requirements from your customer.

What do my Fellow Covers think?

Stijloor.

M

mv06wtown10 - 2008

Thanks for your reply Stiljoor. I believe we do need to comply because we take part in the actual coating process of bumpers, hoods, etc. (Sorry I didn't mention that before!)

So does anyone know the requirements needed to be CQI-12 certified?

Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
x-files [Thermal powerplant] Why "Generation of electricity" is a special process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T "Special Process" Validation Requirements (21 CFR Part 820) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
P Customer Validated Special Process Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Z299 Special Process Supplement Document Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Is painting considered a Special Process as defined by ISO 9001 7.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Is Computer Helpdesk a Special Process ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J AS9100 C - Is Molding of Rubber Parts a Special Process (7.5.2)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Is Quarry Blasting a Special Process according to 7.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Process to use Special Characteristics as FMEA Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Explanation of AS/EN 9100 Clause 7.4.1 Special Process Sources AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Specific Special Process requirements in TS 16949 for MIG Welding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Application of Special Process - Validation and FAI in Wind Tunnel Testing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Any CQI-Special Process related to Printed Circuit Boards (PCB)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C How to define Process Special Characteristics (SC) FMEA and Control Plans 4
sonflowerinwales Is there a Process Equivalent to NASA Special NDI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100C Special Process Procedure - Work Instruction for AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R Special Process Checklists for Plating, Phosphate Coating, Welding and NDT AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S No Process Defined to Capture the Special Requirements of Customers Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
S Anyone had a requirement for Conventional Machining as a Special Process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Supplier Special Process System Assessments - CSR Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
H AS9102A - What is meant by 5.2.5, "... approved Special Process sources..." AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Process Approach - Special Focus? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Seeking CQI-11 (Special Process Plating Assessment) Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R CQI-15 Welding System Assess. & CQI-17 Special Process: Soldering Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Is Design of Molds and Dies a Special Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Is Heat Treatment for Metal a Special Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 87
S Special Process Validation - ISO9001 Clause 7.5.2 - How do I go about it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
eternal_atlas Is cable jointing process is a special process like welding? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Stijloor Special Process Training from AIAG Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D "Special Production Process" Validation and TS16949 Clause 7.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Laboratory Testing as a "Special Process" - element 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Stijloor New Special Process Guidelines are now available from AIAG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
S Welding - Is welding always a special process per ISO9001:2000 Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
S Special Process definition - Clause 7.4.1 part d AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Special Process Validation - Electroplate - 7.5.2 of AS9100B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
I Validation of Special Process - Soldering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N How to identify Special Cause(s) in a process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
S I need help about Dyeing process - Is dying process a special process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Process audit - Is it necessary to audit the special processes like plating? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
A Removing the effect of special causes on Xbar-R chart - Centerless grinding process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Definition Statistical Control - A stable process free of special causes Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
E Supplier audit checklists for special processes - Plating Process audit Checklist Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
F Process Validation of 'Special Processes' - How do I? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8