SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

"Special Process" Validation Requirements (21 CFR Part 820)

T

TNHunter

Is there any reference anywhere in Part 820 that requires "special processes" to be validated? I cannot find it. I cannot find a definition in the QSR or the FDA website for "special processes".

ISO 13485:2003 does not state anything about special processes either. Where does this come from?

Frustration abounds.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

planB

Super Moderator
Hi,

what do you mean by "special"?

I could imagine that you maybe mean processes usually associated with a "special" risk? If yes, sterilization processes would fall under this category, and ISO 13485:2003 does include sections which are dedicated to sterile product and production only.

Moreover, validation requirements for steam, irradiation and ethylene oxide are layed down in dedicated ISO standards which are also recognized consensus standards for the Agency.

Another process FDA regards as special is the reprocessing of re-usable tools. There is a dedicated FDA draft guidance called "Processing/Reprocessing Medical Devices in Health Care Settings: Validation Methods and Labeling", which apart from sterilization includes cleaning processes.

You may unearth more information from the Agency's website by using this or a similar query in Google: validation process site:fda.gov

HTH,

Gerhard

T

TNHunter

Once again my question is:

Where in CFR Part 820 does it state that "special Processes" must be validated?

I know about the requirements for sterilization and validation is performed for those processes in accordance with the standards.

Who defines what is a "special process" when it is not even defined in CFR part 820?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I know about the requirements for sterilization and validation is performed for those processes in accordance with the standards.

Who defines what is a "special process" when it is not even defined in CFR part 820?
I'm no expert in this area, but if the phrase isn't used in the regulations and isn't used in the standards, what is the context? A "special process" by any other name is still a special process and still must be validated. Sterilization seems to fit that description in this context.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

A few links:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=820&showFR=1 go to 820.75.

Sec. 820.75 Process validation.
(a) Where the results of a process cannot be fully verified by subsequent inspection and test, the process shall be validated with a high degree of assurance and approved according to established procedures. The validation activities and results, including the date and signature of the individual(s) approving the validation and where appropriate the major equipment validated, shall be documented.

(b) Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain procedures for monitoring and control of process parameters for validated processes to ensure that the specified requirements continue to be met.

(1) Each manufacturer shall ensure that validated processes are performed by qualified individual(s).

(2) For validated processes, the monitoring and control methods and data, the date performed, and, where appropriate, the individual(s) performing the process or the major equipment used shall be documented.

(c) When changes or process deviations occur, the manufacturer shall review and evaluate the process and perform revalidation where appropriate. These activities shall be documented.

http://fda.yorkcast.com/webcast/Play/dd2d4823b14a4e4ca6d60eae43c5ac9c go to presentation around 1h 08 minutes (or slide 61 through 64).

Last edited:
T

TNHunter

I have a customer who states the following:

"The FDA expects special processes to be validated. It is in the QSR's".

I fully accept that processes such as sterilization, injection molding, etc., require validation.

But can anyone show where in the QSR's it states that "special processes" must be validated? Who defines what is special?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

I fully accept that processes such as sterilization, injection molding, etc., require validation.

But can anyone show where in the QSR's it states that "special processes" must be validated? Who defines what is special?
TNHunter,

This extract from the regulation defines the characteristics of a special process:

"Where the results of a process cannot be fully verified by subsequent inspection and test".

This tells me that baking a cake is a special process as subsequent inspection and test would destroy the cake. Consequently we expect the baking process to be validated before the cakes are made and sold.

I hope this example helps you to determine your special processes for yourself.

Best wishes,

John

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Refer - http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/d...ments/qualitysystemsregulations/ucm230127.htm

iii. Process Validation (Sec. 820.75)

143. A few comments on proposed Sec. 820.75 Special processes stated that the meaning of the term ``special processes'' was unclear. Other comments stated that FDA should provide examples of processes that would be considered ``special processes.'' Several comments stated the term ``fully verified'' was unclear and should be deleted. In response to the comments, the term ``special processes'' has been dropped from the regulation and the term ``process validation'' is defined in Sec. 820.3(z)(1). The section now requires that when a process ``cannot be fully verified by subsequent inspection and test, the process shall be validated with a high degree of assurance. * * *''

Examples of such processes include sterilization, aseptic processing, injection molding, and welding, among others. The validation method must ensure that predetermined specifications are consistently met. The new Sec. 820.75, entitled ``Process validation,'' is consistent with ISO 9001:1994, section 4.9, including the terminology ``fully verified.'' FDA does not believe this terminology is unclear since it has been used in ISO 9001:1987 and 1994 and explained in several guidance documents.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
M Application of Special Process - Validation and FAI in Wind Tunnel Testing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Special Process Validation - ISO9001 Clause 7.5.2 - How do I go about it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
D "Special Production Process" Validation and TS16949 Clause 7.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Special Process Validation - Electroplate - 7.5.2 of AS9100B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
I Validation of Special Process - Soldering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
F Process Validation of 'Special Processes' - How do I? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Process Validation - Hand soldering of components & wires on PCB - Special Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A special process validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Validation of Processes for Injection Moulding - Special Process? Clause 7.5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T Passivation Validation - Is passivation is considered a "special" process by the FDA? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
x-files [Thermal powerplant] Why "Generation of electricity" is a special process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Customer Validated Special Process Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Z299 Special Process Supplement Document Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Is painting considered a Special Process as defined by ISO 9001 7.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Is Computer Helpdesk a Special Process ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J AS9100 C - Is Molding of Rubber Parts a Special Process (7.5.2)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Is Quarry Blasting a Special Process according to 7.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Process to use Special Characteristics as FMEA Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Explanation of AS/EN 9100 Clause 7.4.1 Special Process Sources AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Specific Special Process requirements in TS 16949 for MIG Welding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Any CQI-Special Process related to Printed Circuit Boards (PCB)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C How to define Process Special Characteristics (SC) FMEA and Control Plans 4
sonflowerinwales Is there a Process Equivalent to NASA Special NDI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100C Special Process Procedure - Work Instruction for AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R Special Process Checklists for Plating, Phosphate Coating, Welding and NDT AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S No Process Defined to Capture the Special Requirements of Customers Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
S Anyone had a requirement for Conventional Machining as a Special Process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Supplier Special Process System Assessments - CSR Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
H AS9102A - What is meant by 5.2.5, "... approved Special Process sources..." AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Process Approach - Special Focus? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Seeking CQI-11 (Special Process Plating Assessment) Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R CQI-15 Welding System Assess. & CQI-17 Special Process: Soldering Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Is Design of Molds and Dies a Special Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Is Heat Treatment for Metal a Special Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 87
eternal_atlas Is cable jointing process is a special process like welding? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Stijloor Special Process Training from AIAG Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Manix Definition Special Process Scope - CQI-11 & CQI-12 - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
C Laboratory Testing as a "Special Process" - element 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Stijloor New Special Process Guidelines are now available from AIAG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
S Welding - Is welding always a special process per ISO9001:2000 Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
S Special Process definition - Clause 7.4.1 part d AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N How to identify Special Cause(s) in a process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
S I need help about Dyeing process - Is dying process a special process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9