Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use?

I'm curious what the difference is between the following sets of standards:

EN 62209-1:2016 - Measurement procedure for the assessment of specific absorption rate of human exposure to radio frequency fields from hand-held and body-mounted wireless communication devices. Devices used next to the ear (Frequency range of 300 MHz to 6 GHz)
EN 62209-2:2010 - Human exposure to radio frequency fields from hand-held and bodymounted wireless communication devices. Human models, instrumentation, and procedures. Procedure to determine the specific absorption rate (SAR) for wireless communication devices used in close proximity to the human body (frequency range of 30 MHz to 6 GHz)

AND

EN 50360:2017 - Product standard to demonstrate the compliance of wireless communication devices, with the basic restrictions and exposure limit values related to human exposure to electromagnetic fields in the frequency range from 300 MHz to 6 GHz: devices used next to the ear
EN 50566:2017 - Product standard to demonstrate the compliance of wireless communication devices with the basic restrictions and exposure limit values related to human exposure to electromagnetic fields in the frequency range from 30 MHz to 6 GHz: hand-held and body mounted devices in close proximity to the human body

The latter are harmonised under the EU RED directive, whereas the former are not. ...but the 2 sets seem to be very closely related regarding their scope.
Anyone know what the difference is? Are they related? Perhaps the 62209 standards are referenced by the 50360 & 50566 standards?

Anyone in the know who could help me understand? Thx!

Answered my own question:

Indeed, the 62209 standards are normative references in the 50360 & 50566 standards.

The 50360 & 50566 standards are short, and basically just say: for limits refer to [directive or council recommendation], and for evaluation of compliance, assessment of uncertainty, and documentation refer to 62209 standards.

Top Bottom