Specification of Raw Materials - Can I accept one based on an earlier Revision?

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
I recently received a certification for raw material which was certified to AMS-QQ-S-763A. Another cert was just to the QQ-S-763.
I accepted the material but was questioned regarding if the material was certified to the latest revision of the specification as was called out on the PO.
Note: Our PO states that the supplier must "certify to the latest revision of the applicable specification."
I found out that the latest Rev is AMS-QQ-S-763B as of August 2006.
I was asked to contact my material supplier and request a corrected cert!

When is a process or material certification not acceptable if there is a revision change? Can I accept to an earlier revision?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Specification Revisions

I recently received a certification for raw material which was certified to AMS-QQ-S-763A. Another cert was just to the QQ-S-763.
I accepted the material but was questioned regarding if the material was certified to the latest revision of the specification as was called out on the PO.
Note: Our PO states that the supplier must "certify to the latest revision of the applicable specification."
I found out that the latest Rev is AMS-QQ-S-763B as of August 2006.
I was asked to contact my material supplier and request a corrected cert!

When is a process or material certification not acceptable if there is a revision change? Can I accept to an earlier revision?
I would guess it would depend whether the latest revision of the spec involved a material change in the product which might affect the process or product in which you use the material. Are your own documents updated to reflect the latest revision of a material specification? I think it unreasonable for a buyer to demand the latest revision unless he is aware of what the revision is and how it will interact with his processes/products.

A compromise:
Alter your purchase requirements to request detailed information about revised specifications of material BEFORE the supplier ships the material so you can determine whether the revised material specification actually meets your requirements.

Top Bottom