Definition Spill - Definition of Spill in the Automotive Industry

R

rak

Can someone explain to me as to what is meant by 'Spill' in the automotive industry?

Thanks in advance.

N

noboxwine

Spill, as I was familiar with, a term dubbed by Tier I and II customers, and was a condition in which poor quality from a supplier interrupted or stopped production to a significant $$$$ value and always included back charges---usually severe.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Noboxwine is right on the money. We are currently in the "middle" of CS1 (Controlled shipping with an outside 100% inspection service) for a 2 hour (total time line down on two successive nights) spill at a GM facility. Funny thing is, they gave us three chances (issue - partially machined part) and despite my and fellow QE warnings, production used "tunnel vision" and focused only on the area of the customer complaint.

Suddenly we are having "team" meetings and going through the PFMEA with a fine tooth comb (which should have been done at the launch of this part).

The sting of the "Cost Recovery" from GM will be with us a while as we are a small die casting/machining house. Perhaps a silver lining is that other production departments are wanting to review PFMEAs and CPs for the parts they produce (these have been "static" documents in my career here).

Bill

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Noboxwine is right on the money. We are currently in the "middle" of CS1 (Controlled shipping with an outside 100% inspection service) for a 2 hour (total time line down on two successive nights) spill at a GM facility. Funny thing is, they gave us three chances (issue - partially machined part) and despite my and fellow QE warnings, production used "tunnel vision" and focused only on the area of the customer complaint.

Suddenly we are having "team" meetings and going through the PFMEA with a fine tooth comb (which should have been done at the launch of this part).

The sting of the "Cost Recovery" from GM will be with us a while as we are a small die casting/machining house. Perhaps a silver lining is that other production depts. are requesting to review PFMEAs and CPs for each part they produce (these have been "show" documents during my career here).

Bill

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Sorry about that double post!!!!! (Must be the onset of that aging thing)

Bill

N

noboxwine

WOOF ! WOOF!

bill, trust me, it's not about the age thing. life in quality is like dog years. you're not alone. have a good day.
:bonk:

S

SniperMan

Thanks for the explanation, we are placed in a "spill" situation, and I dont really know when are we getting out of it, and yes, usually its has a monetary equivalent

Top Bottom