Spinal Implant Testing Requirements - Bioburden, TGA & Ion Chromatography

M

MeredithMay

We design spinal implants that are provided to the customer non-sterile, and they are steam sterilized in the hospital. There is a product that was released prior to my coming on board here, and the following testing was completed:
1. Biomechanical
2. Sterilization Validation
3. Bioburden
4. Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
5. Ion Chromatography
6. Cytotoxicity

I can understand the need for tests 1, 2, and 6 without question.

Bioburden? In my experience, Bioburden has been used to establish the amount of "stuff" that is the baseline for the gamma sterilization validation. Since these products are provided non-sterile and the steam sterilization validation applies its own "stuff" as part of the process, what is bioburden telling me and why should I do it?

TGA & Ion Chromatography? I have used these tests while executing device cleaning validations but, again, these parts are provided non-sterile. We do not make them here, and the vendors provide us with the results of their cleaning validations.

I am reading through Safety Evaluation in the Development of Medical Devices and Combination Products by Shayne Gad and Marian McCord and have found no justification for using Bioburden, TGA, or Ion Chromatography for titanium.

I believe that for a titanium implant that is provided non-sterile, biomechanical testing, sterilization validation, and cytocoxicity testing would be sufficient for both product release and contract manufacturer change.

Would someone please help me to confirm or deny my assessment? I am generally on the mechanical side of the world and am slightly out of my element in this decision.

Thanks!
Meredith

P.S. We sell in the US only and our products are 510k, not PMA products.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Implant Testing Requirements

We design spinal implants that are provided to the customer non-sterile, and they are steam sterilized in the hospital. There is a product that was released prior to my coming on board here, and the following testing was completed:
1. Biomechanical
2. Sterilization Validation
3. Bioburden
4. Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
5. Ion Chromatography
6. Cytotoxicity

I can understand the need for tests 1, 2, and 6 without question.

Bioburden? In my experience, Bioburden has been used to establish the amount of "stuff" that is the baseline for the gamma sterilization validation. Since these products are provided non-sterile and the steam sterilization validation applies its own "stuff" as part of the process, what is bioburden telling me and why should I do it?

TGA & Ion Chromatography? I have used these tests while executing device cleaning validations but, again, these parts are provided non-sterile. We do not make them here, and the vendors provide us with the results of their cleaning validations.

I am reading through Safety Evaluation in the Development of Medical Devices and Combination Products by Shayne Gad and Marian McCord and have found no justification for using Bioburden, TGA, or Ion Chromatography for titanium.

I believe that for a titanium implant that is provided non-sterile, biomechanical testing, sterilization validation, and cytocoxicity testing would be sufficient for both product release and contract manufacturer change.

Would someone please help me to confirm or deny my assessment? I am generally on the mechanical side of the world and am slightly out of my element in this decision.

Thanks!
Meredith

P.S. We sell in the US only and our products are 510k, not PMA products.
Welcome to the Cove. :D It's usually pretty slow here on the weekend, so be patient. I'm sure someone here will be able to help. You might want to stop by on Monday and give the thread a bump (if necessary) so it doesn't get lost.

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
Dear Meredith

I think you are getting more confuse about the term “Bioburden” since you are in mechanical background.

See, the term “bioburden” is used to describe the population of viable microorganisms (such as bacteria, fungus, algae, viruses) present on or in product, and sum of the microbial contributions from a number of sources like raw materials, manufacturing components, assembly processes, manufacturing environment, assembly/ manufacturing aids (e.g., compressed gases, water, lubricants), cleaning processes and packaging of finished product. To control bioburden level, you have to follow any of the sterilization processes such as Gamma radiation, Moist Heat (Autoclave), filtration or ETO sterilization and select appropriate method suitable for your product. Since your product being sterilized by steam (Moist Heat), determine the bioburden and fix the limit for acceptable level. Keep in mind if you supply the finished product in sterile condition is nothing but your bioburden level is ZERO.

Also, Bioburden can be used in a number of situations as part of:

1. Validation and revalidation of sterilization processes
2. Routine monitoring for control of manufacturing processes
3. Monitoring of raw materials, components or packaging
4. Assessment of the efficiency of cleaning processes
5. An overall environmental monitoring program

Thanks and Regards
S. Subramaniam, INDIA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Retained samples from each batch of spinal implant medical screws that we make ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Definition of "servicing activities" - Spinal Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Reclassification of Spinal Implants via Rule 8 (EU 2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup) Enrollment Sizes (Spinal Implants) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Applicable standards for CE marking of Spinal Intervertebral Body Fixation Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Clinical Requirements for Class III Spinal Implants EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B GMDN Codes again - Code for "spinal fixation system" Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
H CE Class of Spinal needle under DIRECTIVE 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Spinal Needle & Epidural Anaesthesia Kits Classification - IIb or III? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Continuous Spinal Infusion Investigational Device Exemption 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Shelf Life Test for IFU and Implant Card Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Knee Implant (Femoral -Cobalt chrome)-Sub chronic toxicity test (ISO 10993-11)choice of root Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
C Nerve stimulation Implant cleaning services ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Special 510(k) for orthopedic implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Cochlear Implant Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Article 18: Implant Card and information to be communicated. EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Article 18 in the Implant Card - Expected lifetime of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational TGA – Current status of breast implant products in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational TGA – Medical device patient information leaflets and implant cards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
E Sampling plan for orthopedic implant - Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Informational From the Implant Files – French commission calls for massive medtech regulation overhaul Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational From the Implant Files – Rare immune-system cancer linked for first time to buttock implant Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational RIVM – Summary International Expert Meeting on breast implant-associated lymphoma Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA – Breast Implant Associated- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News MedTech Europe Statement on the Implant Files Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Medical Device News FDA news - 17-09-18 - Agency's commitment to studying breast implant safety Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Real-time-aging Validation - ISO / ASTM Standard - Class 111 Orthopedic Implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J Studies conducted on the amount of autoclave sterilization of a PEEK implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
W "New" MDR implant card for absorbable substances EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Do subjects pay for a medical implant in PMCF study? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Lux Level for Orthopaedic Implant Factory Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
E Class II Implant Steam Sterilizer Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Biocompatibility Test requirements for 510k - Orthopaedic Implant Screws US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Jail Terms for Poly Implant Prothese Executives EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H ISO Standard for Titanium & Stainless Steel finishing for Implant Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
I Implant Raw Material Supplied from Customer to Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Are implant rods (made of Titanium) passivated? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
S Medical Implant Sterile Packaging Design EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Device that makes another Device (Active Implant Medical Device) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
D Medical Device Implant Registration Cards required by SOR/98-282 Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
O Classification of Instrumentation Used to Place Implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Ronen E European Commission calls for action following PIP's Breast Implant Saga EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Breast Implant Scandal in France - Industrial Silicone Used in Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 46
D Declaration of Conformity for a Class III Medical Device Implant EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Implantable Medical Device (Silicone Implant) Regulations for Thailand & Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 13
J IFU inside or outside Ortho Implant Sterile Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3