Splitting a factory for ISO 14001 Registration Scope

J

jppii

I am a consultant and got this question from a potential client. I thought I would see if anyone out there has any experience with this. I believe I know the answer, but told the client I would research it with others in the 14001 business.

Is it allowed ( or common) to have a scope of 14001 certification like this.......
A small company (80 employees) has two businesses. 1) manufacturing processing equipment and selling the equipment and 2) a separate business using their own equipment to actually perform the further processing.

We want to (need to) get 14001 certification for the "processing" business only. This section of our business has 15 employees.
Our waste streams are mostly separate.....only common is our common garbage dumpster..... our sanitary & storm water are separate. Our buildings are adjacent to each other with a door through the dividing wall.

From what I can see in the 14001 standard, we should be able to separate the businesses and certify only the Processing business.

Is this true ????

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

jppii

True...... I have seen it many times for 9000, but I have never seen it for 14000. That is why I am asking this forum. It appears to me that most (or all) 14000 certs seem to be for an entire "facility" or "site".

Anyone out there seen a 14000 cert that splits a business ??

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi jppii, glad to see you finally got here:bigwave:

One of these klods here ought to be able to help verify what we talked about....except energy;)

R

Randy Stewart

jppii,
We went the opposite way. What we did was register our manufacturing area and left the office (engineering, admin, etc.) out of our initial scope. They are only separated by double doors!
Talk with your auditor and let them know what you are planning on doing so you can define it in your scope. Our registrar didn't have a problem with it, but we had to be careful on how we structured the system. It has since carried over into the "office" areas so that the whole plant is registered.
Spend some time developing your programs scope. Talk it over with your registrar to ensure there are no conflicts before they arrive. It was fairly easy to do as long as that "SCOPE" was understood.
Let me know if I can help.
:agree:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ed Panek Splitting UI (User Interface) into two development paths 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
N AS9100 8.5.1 j) - Lot splitting - any loopholes? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A Splitting Paper Routing Job Worksheets AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Informational How to consider the Working Voltage for splitting 2MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 39
S Software Validation - Splitting the Level of Concern on multiple software parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M AS9120 Requirements for for Freight Forwarders (eg no batch splitting) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Clothes changing in pharmaceutical factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
M Benefits of Safety Helmet in manufacturing factory Service Industry Specific Topics 2
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
B IATF 16949 manufacturing cell in ISO 9001 factory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
E Measurement System Analysis/validation to new factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S ISO14001:2015 Factory Process Mapping ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
J Starting from the factory floor get any respect? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
D 5S Implementation in Cement Factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Lux Level for Orthopaedic Implant Factory Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
D TS16949 & Design Responsibilities of a Contract Manufacturing Factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Factory Dictated Sample Size Justification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Marc Definition IFAT - Integration Factory Acceptance Testing Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition FAT - Factory Acceptance Testing Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
L How to add a New Factory under a Prior 510K Establishment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Textile Control Plan for Electric Blanket Factory Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Need Supplier Audit Form to Audit Supplier or Factory Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Compliance and Certificate requirements for FDA Compliant Wheelchair Factory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S ISO 9001 Registration for Factory Site Only ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Ipad or Tablet for Work Instructions (WI) in Factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Building Heavy Pollution Factory next to Medical Device Factory (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
U ISO 13485 mandatory for a factory making Medical Devices for EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Factory Acceptance Test Report example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Calculating Cycle-Time for a factory line that produces each-design-different parts? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
Stijloor A Dutch Factory Town, Now a Design Center Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Q Do we need to keep MSDS documents for all "chemicals" used in the factory? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
S Christmas Joke - The "Tickle Me Elmo" Factory Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
H FAI inspector could be a operator of factory, is it right? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
A What is more important - Head office OR Factory? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G New gage calibrated at factory do I need the certificate? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
W Need a QA/QC plan for a Woodworking Factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R APQP process as a planning tool for moving product lines to another factory APQP and PPAP 4
B What is Customer Owned Property for moulds and spare parts factory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D 5S Templates for implementation in a concrete manufacturing factory Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
somashekar Factory Inspection to Register and Certify a Medical Device in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 35
8 Simulated Factory - Assistance in simulation of a factory with a view to improving it Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
P How to plan new capacity for a cement tile factory Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
S Resources about Visual Management - Visual Factory wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
O Turkish factory under US umbrella - Small medical device manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Factory Air Quality Testing Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
K Factory Quick Assessment Model - Assessment a small factory (<50 employee) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 8
K Role of IT Head in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing factory - Especially during Audits? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
Q VDE Audit Experiences - German VDE factory certification audit General Auditing Discussions 5