Spot Weld Nugget - MSA Gage R&R

After lurking in the shadows for some time now and using the search bar to gain knowledge rather than pester you all with the same questions, I've decided my first post will have to be just that, pestering you all for help with regards to MSA, so here it goes...

I work in the automotive industry supply chain and have been tasked with conducting an MSA study (Gage R&R) on the process of measuring spot weld nugget sizes using the external faces of a vernier caliper.

My first question is,

Considering I have previously conducted studies relating to the use of external faces of a caliper (eg: plug gages) would a study on weld nugget sizes need to be carried out? Should there be an MSA study for every in-house measurement process we use a caliper for, or should the focus be on the caliper and every function of it that we use rather than each individual process?

We use alternative methods like Ultrasonic non destructive testing to confirm spot weld integrity and size. The focus on MSA and nugget sizes has came from above due to certain spot welds being classed as "Important A" characteristics.

My second issue is,

I can create samples using the same spot weld, off process, and have the actual nugget sizes confirmed to create a nominal value for each sample. I am aware there is a standard calculation for average spot weld sizes relating to material thickness and also a minimum standard for nugget sizes expected after a teardown but as far as I am aware, there isn't a tolerance that we work to that we can apply to the measurement results. (eg, nugget size = 6mm dia / ±1.0)

If anyone has been successful with a similar study, knows how to set this up or has any input / information at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I work in the automotive industry supply chain and have been tasked with conducting an MSA study (Gage R&R) on the process of measuring spot weld nugget sizes using the external faces of a vernier caliper.

My first question is,

Considering I have previously conducted studies relating to the use of external faces of a caliper (eg: plug gages) would a study on weld nugget sizes need to be carried out? Should there be an MSA study for every in-house measurement process we use a caliper for, or should the focus be on the caliper and every function of it that we use rather than each individual process?

We use alternative methods like Ultrasonic non destructive testing to confirm spot weld integrity and size. The focus on MSA and nugget sizes has came from above due to certain spot welds being classed as "Important A" characteristics.
I recommend that you begin by reading my blog on Creating Gauge Families.
  • In regard to the question "...would a study on weld nugget sizes need to be carried out?", yes, you should perform a study on nugget size because the measurement of a highly irregular feature is much more difficult than measuring a highly uniform object such as a gauge pin.
  • For the second question "Should there be an MSA study for every in-house measurement process we use a caliper for...", no. It is not quite as simple as just studying the caliper and every function that you use (i.e., outer dimensions, inner dimensions and depth), but you can create gauge families as described in my blog.

My second issue is,

I can create samples using the same spot weld, off process, and have the actual nugget sizes confirmed to create a nominal value for each sample. I am aware there is a standard calculation for average spot weld sizes relating to material thickness and also a minimum standard for nugget sizes expected after a teardown but as far as I am aware, there isn't a tolerance that we work to that we can apply to the measurement results. (eg, nugget size = 6mm dia / ±1.0)
Based on this, may I assume that this measurement will be used for the purpose of process control (e.g., SPC) rather than for inspection, or do you mean that you do not have a bilateral tolerance, but a unilateral tolerance? If the latter, see my blog on MSA for unilateral tolerances.

What do you mean by "...using the same spot weld, off process..."? Do you mean using the same welding equipment, the same materials being welded, etc.? Will these welds faithfully represent the actual manufacturing process?

Thank you for the reply Miner.

I've been asked to conduct the MSA study due to the measurement process being documented on the control plan. What I mean by using the same spot weld is that each spot weld on a part is identified with a number. I can then create samples using an amount of parts needed, taken from the actual manufacturing process, and focus on the same spot weld per part / sample, maybe weld number 1 for example. So maybe,

x10 samples (torn down to reveal weld nugget and nugget size confirmed / agreed upon)
x3 Appraisers
each measuring spot weld number 1, 3 times.

As for the tolerance, the customer standard suggests there is only a minimum nugget size based on material thickness.

Thanks for the links to the info, I will indeed be reading up on those.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Spot weld - Peel test failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Domoreto Spot Welding aust. 304 Stainless Steel - Report on Contrition of Weld Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Spot Weld Current Tester Calibration Supplier needed - 5000 to 20000 A range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Calibration Standard N24: PFM NO 1841 - Ultrasonic Inspection of Resistance Spot Weld Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Chennaiite Incredible Tourist Spot in China Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S Can you Passivate Stainless Steel after Spot Welding? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Random Sampling question - taking samples from the same spot! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Claes Gefvenberg Changing ISP and getting the wires to the right spot. Imported Legacy Blogs 2
K Documentation Criteria For Spot Buys of "one time" thing or short-term (3 months) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Wes Bucey Can you spot the phishing scam? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
B Anyone have an inspection form for multiple users? "Spot-Welding" department Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M PPAP for Spot Buys from our customer APQP and PPAP 13
P Need Tape Spec for MSCH 62 Full Tape Wrap & MSDC 13-B Spot Tape Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
B Facility Weld Engineer Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Weld Symbol--Bubble Drawings for FAI Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R Weld Penetration Standards and Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B CQI-15 Weld Inspector vision reviewed annually Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
H FCA projection weld nut IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Z CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Robotic Ultrasonic Foam onto Plastic "Weld" applicable? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
E European Weld Callouts - Confused with the "/C" and the "a2" portions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
B Weld Validation on Titanium Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
V Tolerance achievable for Sheet Metal Part with some weld - 0.4mm TP Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Rust and Paint adhesion with new Weld Nut Supplier Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
F Welder Recertification to AWS 17.1 Groove Weld AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Weld Stud Length Poka Yoke Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
5 Visual Weld Inspection Report - Example needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
B Laser Weld Strength - Laser Welding Medical Instruments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
J Weld Current Monitor Calibration Laboratory in North America General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L AWS Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) Requirement Question Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
K Inspecting a Length of Weld - High Reject Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
hogheavenfarm Does anyone know of a calibrated Fillet weld gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
automoto Visual Inspection of a Weld - MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Laser Weld Operational Qualification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C ID (Inside Diameter) Threads Shrinking due to Heat Treatment and Weld Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
I Weld Repair and Nonconformance reporting Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Weld Penetration on GM 6122M Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L Eliminating a Recurring Problem of Missing Weld Nuts/Fasteners Manufacturing and Related Processes 27
L How to Avoid Missed Welds - Job shop and weld several small quantity jobs Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
bobdoering Determining a Good Variable for Small Scale Weld Integrity Capability Evaluation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
P Process vs. Product on Control Plan - Weld a nut attachment on the subassembly FMEA and Control Plans 3
J Pull test standard? Wires coming off the electrodes at the weld ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Visual Weld inspection training Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Weld Specifications - EU vs. AWS - Are AWS procedures recognized by the EU? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Cost Estimating Spreadsheet for a CNC Machine & Weld Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Toyota Weld Specification TSH5603G needed Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
3 General MIG Weld Workmanship Standard or Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2