SSBB Qualifications and Experience Requirements

K

Kageboshi

Hello,

I'd like to apply to sit for the ASQ SSBB test, but since I don't have quality experience I was wondering if I meet the experience requirements.

Basically, I'm a Professional Engineer(Civil) with 6 years of experience in the Construction Industry. Most of my experience has been in Scheduling and Project Controls. I did notice that the current BOK has the following categories which clearly apply to my daily job:

5. Project performance measurements
Identify and evaluate performance measurements (e.g., cost, revenue, delivery, schedule,
customer satisfaction) that connect critical elements of the process to key outputs. (Analyze)

C. Project management (PM) tools
Identify and use the following PM tools to track projects and document their progress. (Evaluate)
1. Gantt charts
2. Toll-gate reviews
3. Work breakdown structure (WBS)
4. RACI model (responsible, accountable, consulted and informed)
D. Analytical tools
Identify and use the following analytical tools throughout the DMAIC cycle. (Apply)
1. Affinity diagrams
2. Tree diagrams
3. Matrix diagrams
4. Prioritization matrices
5. Activity network diagrams

The only problem is that I have never used all these tools for a quality project. I've used most of them on typical construction projects(ie: building the WBS and schedule for a roadway project, building, etc). I sent ASQ an e-mail, but they want me to submit an application first.

The other question I have is regarding the project requirement. I'm a decent computer programmer and pretty much about once every 1-2 years I think of ways of improving the processes in the departments in which I work by building apps to automate said processes. For example, 2 years ago, I developed an app that basically replaced for completely one of the engineers in our department. Currently, I'm developing another app that will decrease the workload of our 6 person department by 20-30% by automating some very important tasks, this will lead to us completing our deliverables faster, and doing the job with less people. My question is, would projects like these meet the guidelines for a black belt project if I document them or do they have to be quality related?

I'm just curious if anyone here had any similar experience applying for the exam.

Thank you,
Kage

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
This would be a good question to post on the ASQ group site on Linked-In, you will get a direct answer that way. I was unable to take this exam because I could not get full documentation on my projects from my company, like you, I had simply gone ahead and done things, without all the documentation I needed. I settled for the Green Belt exam since I did not need the projects for that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C What are the Best Study Materials for the SSBB Exam? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
P Difference between SSBB 1997 primer and new primer Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
A ISO 17025 Requirement 6.2 - Department Manager Testing Qualifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
T MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M API 6D-2014 24th Ed. Pto 6.10 - Heat Treatment Equipment Qualifications Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
Casana 2nd Party and Internal Auditor Qualifications & Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M CO2 Incubators - Equipment Qualifications in addition to Calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
X Internal Audit Trainer Qualifications Requirements (TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P What qualifications are required to become an auditor for a CB (BSI, for example)? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
N Improving my Quality Qualifications - What certifications, seminars, classes, etc. Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Software Planning Tool for Equipment Qualifications, Process Validations Software Quality Assurance 3
F Internal Audit quiz - Auditor Qualifications and Requirements Internal Auditing 34
B Internal Auditor Qualifications - TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2.5 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
J Where do you define Internal Auditor qualifications? Internal Auditing 9
D Minimum requirements/experience/qualifications to be head of quality Career and Occupation Discussions 6
K Qualifications I need to adhere to for Thread Gage Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
D ESD Auditor - Qualifications Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
K CQE/SSGB Qualifications and Requirements Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
D Retrospective (Retroactive) Supplier Qualifications Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M What qualifications should a Quality Assurance Manager have? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Internal Auditor Qualifications ? ISO13485 vs. ISO9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Career Planing - I want to improve my qualifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
C Internal Auditor Qualifications? Small Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Process and Part Qualifications - Automotive Industry and Consumer Electronics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Who can carry out CQI-9 Assessments? CQI-9 Assessor Qualifications? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Project Management Qualifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
1 Career Advice - What someone with my qualifications can shoot for Career and Occupation Discussions 7
A AS9100 Internal Auditor Training and Qualifications Internal Auditing 8
R How much Training for Process Validation? Process Performance Qualifications Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
P Six Sigma Green Belt and Black Belt Qualifications Six Sigma 5
A TS16949 Recertification Training - Internal Auditor Qualifications Internal Auditing 4
G AS9100 & ISO 9001 Internal Audits (-+) - Auditor Qualifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
P What qualifications do you need for Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 15
S Advice on how to assess competency in the absence of academic qualifications? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
R Qualifications for taking CQE Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
L Professional Qualifications - Consulting in the UK Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
L ISO 9001 Quality Management Representative Qualifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
Q IQ, OQ & PQ (Installation, Operation, and Performance Qualifications) on a CMM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B IQ, OQ, PQ - Laboratory Equipment Qualifications? (eg. incubator) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Tim Folkerts Getting a job - Strong on skills, weak on other qualifications Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Inspector Qualifications - Qualifying someone to be an inspector Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
M Iso/ts 16949 Product Audit Auditor Criteria and Qualifications General Auditing Discussions 3
E A2LA Laboratory Management Requirements or Qualifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
E Source Inspection Minimum Qualifications - Complex PWAs and PWBs - SOW and J-Std-001 Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M Qualifications for TS 16949 Internal Auditors Internal Auditing 4
D Basic Requirements and Qualifications for ISO 9001 Internal Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Quality Manager Job Qualifications Career and Occupation Discussions 13