SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

SSQR-01 Vision Requirements- Color Blindness

Hello-- 1st time poster here.

Our company is compliant to AS9100D and also SSQR-01.
In the past we followed the vision requirements for ASQR-01 before I had picked up the QMS work here at my shop. I'm very green to all this quality stuff so bare with me.
The ASQR-01 requirements for vision have been simplified. So I am now looking to the SSQR-01 vision requirements as we are still a supplier to that aerospace customer.

The SSQR-01 vision requirements read:

"9.0 VISION EXAMS
Procedures shall be implemented to ensure that all individuals performing visual inspection and/or other
product acceptance activities that require visual acuity be examined by a medically qualified person for
visual acuity and color vision per the table below.
  • Intervals shall not exceed one (1) year
  • Individuals shall be tested in at least one (1) eye, either corrected or uncorrected
  • Color Perception testing is required one (1) time only. Individuals shall be capable of adequately distinguishing and differentiating colors used in the method for which certification is required, the process being performed or inspection activity
  • Records shall be retained for each individual;"
Untitled picture.png

We are a small manufacturing company of 23 people. 2 inspectors and 16 or so machinists. The inspectors and machinists get annual eye exams and prescription safety glasses if correction is prescribed by an optometrist. We have vision requirements for our machinists as well because they provide "in-process" inspection.

Just recently we've hired a machinist who had his eye exam and the 1 time color perception test showed that he has colorblindness (I do not know to what degree).
How do we go about ensuring he does not perform in-process inspection? Reading that excerpt also suggests we could find out to what degree is he color blind, and to what degree of color blindness can he perform in-process inspection? And how do we include that in our inspection procedure?

Thank you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome Justine!

Color blindness of some type is more common than many people realize. It is usually inherited, but can also be adult onset through illness, some medications, aging and exposure to certain chemicals. I had a client that assembled wiring harnesses and found one of their assemblers had color blindness during root cause analysis when some of their wires in the harnesses became swapped. They corrected it through careful staging of the work station.

I wonder if your employee would be helped with special glasses? You could consult with your eye doctor. I would caution to try before buying, as it seems that color blindness glasses are not a sure thing.

If no interventions help to relieve the symptoms, there are many types of inspections that don't rely on color discrimination. Tasks would need to be assigned that are more appropriate. To understand that you would need a clear understanding of which colors are affected and by how much. With the exception of tasks that are specifically barred to color blind people as per specification, such as NDT inspection, in the end the tasks would need to also be performed by one or more color sighted person(s) and the results compared. The results for this employee should be recorded as a type of competency since we at The Cove have (more or less) agreed that the term's definition is the ability to consistently perform in accordance with expectations. I would use caution with the records though, as I do not know if color blindness is a condition covered by HIPAA or not.

I welcome any other Covers to share their views on this. It is an important subject that gets very little discussion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B CQI-15 Weld Inspector vision reviewed annually Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Testing (Evaluation of) and Verification of Employee Color Vision Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
J Manual Vision CMM Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Medical Device News FDA News - 26-09-18 - FDA Reveals Vision for the Transition to ISO 13485 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Camera Vision System Measurement System Analysis (MSA) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Vision Measurement System - Software Program Qualification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A Bar Lights vs LED-606 in vision inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Looking for recommendations for an automated vision measuring system Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Vision Inspection System Validation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T MSA on Camera Vision System and other Process Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R AC 7120 Vision and Color Blindness Testing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Camera Vision Measurement System Gage R and R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
K Vision System Camera Adjustment - Change Verification? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Process Validation on Vision Inspection System Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
M CPK and MSA for Vision System - Example PSW Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Which Manual Vision System to Buy Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
2 How to GR&R a Vision System to measure features in silicone ie. jello Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Information on Starrett Galileo Vision Measurment System model AV300 requested Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
3 Vision System Optical Calibration Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Automated Vision Systems - Cost, Value and Payback of Implementation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I Part Variation for Gage R&R of Vision Inspection system Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Gage R&R on a Programmed Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Sidney Vianna Vision 2050 - Utopia? Can we change so many paradigms in 40 years? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S GR&R (Gage R&R) for an Optical Comparator or Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Verify Accuracy for Validation of CNC Starrett Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Vision System - Camera vs. Sensor to perform 100% EOL Inspection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
R Starrett AV612 (combo vision and touch probe) Galileo Instrument Software Validation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R How to Validate Vision Inspection Systems Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Multiple Fixture Automated Vision System GR&R (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Vision system - how critical is part set up? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Choosing a Vision System - Recommendations for a User Friendlier System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S Can we comingle Gauging Vision System and 3 Point Micrometers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Automated Vision Inspection System MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Z How to Establish Quality Policy Based on Vision of Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Advice on Handling a Camera Vision System Calibration Master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Sidney Vianna Is the ISO TC176 fulfilling its Vision & Mission? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
J Customer Complaint Corrective Action Response - 100% Vision Inspection Customer Complaints 9
J Vision System Recommendations - Sheet metal fabrication industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Vision System which verifies the correct part is present - Calibration / Verification Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
W What is difference between the company policy & company vision or strategy Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Sidney Vianna ISO TC's 176 & 207 & other Stakeholders Joint Vision ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Vision Mission, Quality Policy, Quality Objective, Divisional Objective Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
O GRR (Gage R&R) Method for Camera Vision Inspection System Hardware and Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19