SBS - The best value in QMS software

Staff Awareness of the Importance of their Activities - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2d

K

kgott

ISO 9001 section 6.2.2d requires organisations to maintain records of evidence that staff are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives.

The usual sources of evidence most of us would cite to satisfy this requirement would be team meeting minutes and evidence of training. However; I think on most occasions this evidence would only prove that staff have been trained, but not evidence that:

staff have been made aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives.”

I’ve never been audited on this particular section of 6.2.2 and I would suggest that this requirement tends to slip under the radar a bit.

So; if I was auditing your organisation what would you show me the proves that staff have been made aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
ISO 9001 section 6.2.2d requires organisations to maintain records of evidence that staff are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives.

The usual sources of evidence most of us would cite to satisfy this requirement would be team meeting minutes and evidence of training. However; I think on most occasions this evidence would only prove that staff have been trained, but not evidence that:

staff have been made aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives.”

I’ve never been audited on this particular section of 6.2.2 and I would suggest that this requirement tends to slip under the radar a bit.

So; if I was auditing your organisation what would you show me the proves that staff have been made aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives?
If you ask "Why do you do what you do"., "What happens before you do" and " What happens after you do" ...
And you get a satisfactory answer to compare and relate to the process and interactions that has been mapped in the Quality manual...
You are pretty much done with the 6.2.2.d

Big Jim

Super Moderator

Interesting interpretation.

I don't get that when I read 6.2.2 d.

6.2.2 d doesn't have a record keeping requirement included in it.

6.2.2 e has the requirement for keeping records of education, training, skills, and experience.

I don't see how 6.2.2 e can be applied to 6.2.2 d. "The organization shall . . . ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives . . . " I don't see "education, training, skills, and experience" there. Do you?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

I have seen that some organizations check this during their internal audit asking to the interviewed personnel if they know quality objective and how they contribute to them with their job.
Other evidences could be email, poster and so on by which top management cascade this kind of information.
To check the efficiency and ethe effectiveness of this communication process I have seen that some organization make dedicated survey for all impacted personnel, analyze results in mgmt review and then take some action, if needed, with ad hoc plan.
Another evidence is done by performance evaluation of the personnel by their direct supervisors and managers. If it is dealt as a process, you should have records to prove what you asked, in the case that performance evaluation and results are linked with their job expections in terms of quality.
They are lots of way to pursue.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

S

samsung

I second to Big Jim's interpretation that 6.2.2 d doesn't mandate record keeping but 6.2.2 e certainly does.

Now, as far as evidence matter, you may consider checking with the following things:

1. Employees' job description
2. Setting of objectives, action plans including the activities to be carried out by whom, criteria of measurement and clear assignment of responsibilities can be verified.
3. Communication of objectives to be achieved by the employees (direct interview with the employee)
3. Training/ induction/ briefings to new job/process/equipment etc. (record or personal interview)
4. Decisions made by the employees w.r.t. achievement of objectives (results of task observation, if any) to verify if those do not contradict with achievement of his/ someone else's or organizational objectives. This will give an idea of how closely one has understood the importance and relevance of the task(s) assigned to him.
5. Outcome/ results achieved by the employees
6. An employee's own assessment about himself or his satisfaction level/ degree of sense of pride in the job one is assigned with and is paid for tells a lot about the relevance, importance and contribution of the efforts one is making towards his living.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
if I was auditing your organisation what would you show me the proves that staff have been made aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives?
An audit is not always in the route based on seeing something that proves as much as I understand from what audit purpose is.
How the QMS confirms to planned arrangements, and is effectively implemented is determined by responses to audit query + supporting evidences as required by the standard and the QMS that is audited.
Particularly 6.2.2 d) does not call for supporting evidence and so a determination has to be made by the auditor with his auditing skills and can even be reported as a finding, based on one or several statements given by the responsible officers who are audited, if it shows lack of awareness.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Super Moderator
As I read it a requirement for records is implied.
A great example of requirement creep.

6.2.2 e does not apply to 6.2.2 d. 6.2.2 d does not include any of the specific topics called out in 6.2.2 e.

There are many things in the standard that do not require records. When an auditor comes across one of them, it may be nice for him to find a record, but he cannot make up a requirement for his convenience. Instead, he needs to roll up his sleeves and get to work to determine what the company practice actually is. Auditing includes interviewing and observing, as pointed out by Somasheker.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
ISO 9001 section 6.2.2d requires organisations to maintain records of evidence that staff are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives. <snip>
There is no requirement for record-keeping, express or implied. It's common for CB auditors to address the requirement by asking auditees about the relevance and importance of their work, and how it supports the quality policy and objectives, but no one ever asks for records.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

We tackle this by asking the employee if he is aware of the inputs and outputs associated with the process he/she is involved in (i.e. what do they need to do their job and where does it come from, and what is the final "product" and who gets it next). Their answer will show if they are aware of the positioning of the process and the requirements of that process. Because the overall process of the organization is (hopefully) designed to achieve the quality objectives, the level of awareness can be demonstrated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
C Competence, awareness and training - Some staff refuse to give educational info ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
L Job Aids for administrative staff in GLP environment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Defining staff competence - Small mechanical workshop Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 20
JoshuaFroud Change Control - Minimum Requirements and Unhappy Staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
samer Do we have to determine Educational level for all Staff as pr 7.2 b clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
R How to Train Staff for Critical Thinking Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Value-Added Analysis - Staff (Employee) Satisfaction Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
M Calibration Certification Qualification vs. Verification by Uncertified Staff General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T ISO 9001:2008 Management Representative and other Management Staff ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
T Staff Acknowledgements for Policy Revisions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
B Performance Evaluation for my boutique's Sales Staff Benchmarking 7
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P General Manager jumps down to directly contact my staff Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
P Seconded Staff and Temporary Assignments Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
K Staff sees no tangible ISO 9001 benefits in 12 months Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Pharmaceutical Risk Assessment - Use of Medical Staff Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
K Quality Management System Training for Staff during this lull period Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
C Certificate of Conformity Competence - Training Staff the Responsibilities of Signing Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R Training my Quality Staff of 4 Inspectors (plus 4 Specialty Inspectors) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Is there a retirement age for FDA staff? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Dreading an Ineffective External Audit and the impact it will have on staff General Auditing Discussions 1
T Quality Staff - Independence (ISO 13485 Clause 5.5.1) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Certifying Staff Training in a Part 21/145 organisation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Evaluation of Training for Operational Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
O Should Staff be allowed to see Management Review Meeting Minutes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
O Should Staff have Access to see Internal and/or CB Audit Results? Internal Auditing 5
A Rate of Staff Leaving the Organization vs. Staff Joining the Organization Benchmarking 4
R Implementing ISO 14001 - How do you Communicate to All the other Staff? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
K What are the Advantages of ISO 9001 for Staff Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
C How to publicize our ISO certificate to our staff and to our customers? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
K How is it possible for a staff member to be a Food Safety Team Lead? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J 'Competency of Staff' Evaluation Method Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
A Staff Training and Benefits to Staff of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
D Continuity of Service - Measuring the continuity of service of our staff Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Auditing Approach - Staff auditing their own area Internal Auditing 12
M Inferences from Distribution? (Average per hour/the average pay of the staff) Six Sigma 2
J How do we determine our Staff Competecy Levels - 6.2.2 Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Z Top Management (Exempt Staff) vs. Training and Competency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
W 5S Training Materials (Videos & Handouts) for production staff? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
D Corrective Action for Complaints from Clients due to Staff (Employee) Error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Calculation of Attrition and Attrition Control / Staff Retention Projects. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
S Staff Augmentation Vendor (Supplier) - Performance Evaluation (rating & index) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
K Training Modules for Quality Assurance for Staff Skill Enhancement Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Evaulation of Operator and Staff Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J What should be covered in weekly Staff Meetings? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
G Staff KPI (Key Performance Indicator) .xls Excel format Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4