Staff sees no tangible ISO 9001 benefits in 12 months

K

kgott

I’m providing the knowledge and the skill to apply the requirements of ISO 9001 to this business. A few days ago I had a performance appraisal. (yea, I know that’s another issue itself.) One of the things that came out of it was that I was told that the feedback says that the staff are not seeing any tangible benefits of 12 months worth of effort.

I have been concerned about this possibility my self for a while. The brains trust here decided a while back that progress to date should be rolled out to the staff. In this role out I stated that the staff would gets these benefits.

· A better defined project delivery system that is more efficient and effective.
· Greater control over project delivery processes
· Increased capacity to achieve planned results due to more stable processes

While I believe the staff should see the above benefits I have to admit that I’m not supprised that they don’t seem to be seeing them but why I don’t really know why, I’m just going by instinct.

My response at the performance appraisal was to state that a quality system consisted of a quality policy and objectives, (there are no real objectives in the company quality policy which will not change,) the 6 mandatory procedures and the records in the categories stated in the standard, plus the processes required for the operation of the business, in other words the project delivery processes the staff have been using for years.

I accept responsibility for this state of affairs although I will say that that due to the collaborative management style in use here and the shortage of bodies, it takes an inordinate amount of time to get approval for documentation from the brains trust.

While I have been working in quality for a couple of years and I have learned a lot from the Cove, I do not have any previous experience in integrating ISO into a business so this is a blind spot for me so I am appealing to those who are experienced in integrating ISO 9001 into a business for ideas and clues on;

Why have the staff not seen the above benefits

What can I do to turn this around.

Thank you in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
You company suffers from a lack of management commitment. If there was commitment from the very top, there would be no whimpering from the mid level managers and little if any from the troops. They simply don't believe it will work and don't put the forth the effort that is needed.

Randy

Super Moderator
At the minimum you should get out that equal to what you put in.

In never ceases to amaze me how organization expect to get ice cream without putting, cream, sugar, eggs and some cold into the mix.

J

Jeff Frost

Another thought on this matter is possibly that the job of integrating ISO into the day to day operations has not caused any waves. I remember years ago talking with my father, he was an Administration Officer in the Marine Corps (U.S., Not Royal). He was telling me about how his troops would tell him that they enjoyed working for him because he didn’t make any changes in how the office ran, unlike the other officers before him. He then would start ask these troopers questions about all the changes that were made under his command which they never realized they had made for him. Dad had a way of making the needed changes in a way that always resulted in his troops believing that it was their ideas in the first place.

What you might try, in this situation, is to advertise the changes that have been made and will be made in the future under your implementation. Write an article for your company newsletter; send emails to staff members thanking them for their help as you implemented an ISO requirement in their area, in meetings talk up how, with the help of others, you were able to use the existing company methods to meet the requirements of the Standard without impacting day to day operations of the company. Don’t brag, but at least let people know what you’re doing.

K

kgott

Yes; thats right Randy but what can I do to turn this situation around?

As the 'in house guru' I have a blind spot because I'm not perfect but I have to come up with the answer so, please, what can I do so the staff can see tangible benefits of our q management system?

thanks

Randy

Super Moderator
Yes; thats right Randy but what can I do to turn this situation around?

As the 'in house guru' I have a blind spot because I'm not perfect but I have to come up with the answer so, please, what can I do so the staff can see tangible benefits of our q management system?

thanks
Get with folks and ask them what their expectations are with the QMS and then ask "What will you do to help make it happen?"

Hey Jeff, that's basically what you said (I'm Marine Corps trained as well and I trained officers)

J

Jeff Frost

Randy,

Kgott just got his post up before I did.

Semper Fi to your on being a Marine, I was never able to serve because of knee issues but did make the rounds at both west and east coast MCAS plus Hawaii and Guam as Dad was transferred.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
This is essentially a Change Management issue, not strictly "benefits" from ISO 9001.

I've written on Change Management a number of times over the years here in the Cove.
Two links to review:
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=420607&postcount=8
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=385727&postcount=2

In general, the following is my approach to Change Management
Well, if the folks you are trying to reach use the phrase implying "[quality folk] are an annoying bunch of s**ts, and 9001 is just a pain in the posterior and a matter of ticking boxes so the gods who are *** give us the nod and certificate." I have a pretty good hunch that a questionnaire which requires "boxes to be ticked off" is only going to tick off tempers!

Personally, I've always found success using some basic techniques of Change Management
  1. Address the human side
  2. start at the top
  3. involve every layer of the organization (and up and down the supply chain)
  4. make the formal case (Three steps should be followed in developing the case: First, confront reality and articulate a convincing need for change. Second, demonstrate faith that the company has a viable future and the leadership to get there. Finally, provide a road map to guide behavior and decision making. Leaders must then customize this message for various internal audiences, describing the pending change in terms that matter to the individuals. )
  5. create ownership (by involving people in identifying problems and crafting solutions. It is reinforced by incentives and rewards. These can be tangible (for example, financial compensation) or psychological (for example, camaraderie and a sense of shared destiny.))
  6. communicate the message (written, verbal, visual [actions speak louder than words])
  7. assess the cultural landscape
  8. address culture specifically
  9. prepare for the unexpected
  10. speak to the individual (not the mob)

Consultants such as I have been counseling companies on successful Change Management for a long time. I do not want to imply it is easy to accomplish a successful change in an organization, but it is doable. It is NOT an overnight miracle, but takes weeks and months of careful nurturing to bring to fruition. Normally, change must come from the top, but I have seen some middle level folk use power of persuasion to convince top managers to kick start and follow through on Change - it "ain't easy" that way and more than one mid-level person has been the slain messenger when he couldn't persuade the top bosses to move forward. As a consultant, I won't even begin to make a proposal until I have assessed the commitment of the top dogs in an organization.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
To add to the excellent replies so far, I would add that the benefits of a good QMS don't come along too quickly in most cases. Systems take time to mature and become the normal way of working. That is why the Check and Act elements of the PDCA model are so important.

Now that you have the system 'bedded in' you can start to use the basic tools of improvement such as objectives (you already pointed out that these could be improved) and a strategy to achieve them; internal audits - start auditing for improvements, not just compliance; data analysis - but you can only do this if people are providing data from sources such as complaints and nonconforming products etc.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Sometimes, it could be due to just one word - 'Communication'

1. There could be oversell and/or over promises during the start resulting in unrealistic expectations a year down the road.

2. In many organizations, there is a lack of periodic communication on results attained or progress made (however small it may be) to the operations people who does not have access to such information. As a result, they had this perception.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
adir88 Qualifying Temporary Staff as Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Training Records - assembly line staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
L Job Aids for administrative staff in GLP environment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Defining staff competence - Small mechanical workshop Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 20
JoshuaFroud Change Control - Minimum Requirements and Unhappy Staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
samer Do we have to determine Educational level for all Staff as pr 7.2 b clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
R How to Train Staff for Critical Thinking Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Value-Added Analysis - Staff (Employee) Satisfaction Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
M Calibration Certification Qualification vs. Verification by Uncertified Staff General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T ISO 9001:2008 Management Representative and other Management Staff ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
T Staff Acknowledgements for Policy Revisions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
B Performance Evaluation for my boutique's Sales Staff Benchmarking 7
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P General Manager jumps down to directly contact my staff Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
P Seconded Staff and Temporary Assignments Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
G Pharmaceutical Risk Assessment - Use of Medical Staff Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
K Quality Management System Training for Staff during this lull period Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
C Certificate of Conformity Competence - Training Staff the Responsibilities of Signing Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R Training my Quality Staff of 4 Inspectors (plus 4 Specialty Inspectors) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Is there a retirement age for FDA staff? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Staff Awareness of the Importance of their Activities - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2d Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
S Dreading an Ineffective External Audit and the impact it will have on staff General Auditing Discussions 1
T Quality Staff - Independence (ISO 13485 Clause 5.5.1) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Certifying Staff Training in a Part 21/145 organisation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Evaluation of Training for Operational Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
O Should Staff be allowed to see Management Review Meeting Minutes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
O Should Staff have Access to see Internal and/or CB Audit Results? Internal Auditing 5
A Rate of Staff Leaving the Organization vs. Staff Joining the Organization Benchmarking 4
R Implementing ISO 14001 - How do you Communicate to All the other Staff? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
K What are the Advantages of ISO 9001 for Staff Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
C How to publicize our ISO certificate to our staff and to our customers? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
K How is it possible for a staff member to be a Food Safety Team Lead? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J 'Competency of Staff' Evaluation Method Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
A Staff Training and Benefits to Staff of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
D Continuity of Service - Measuring the continuity of service of our staff Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Auditing Approach - Staff auditing their own area Internal Auditing 12
M Inferences from Distribution? (Average per hour/the average pay of the staff) Six Sigma 2
J How do we determine our Staff Competecy Levels - 6.2.2 Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Z Top Management (Exempt Staff) vs. Training and Competency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
W 5S Training Materials (Videos & Handouts) for production staff? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
D Corrective Action for Complaints from Clients due to Staff (Employee) Error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Calculation of Attrition and Attrition Control / Staff Retention Projects. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
S Staff Augmentation Vendor (Supplier) - Performance Evaluation (rating & index) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
K Training Modules for Quality Assurance for Staff Skill Enhancement Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Evaulation of Operator and Staff Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10