Staff Training and Benefits to Staff of ISO Certification

A

Aussie Jeff

Hello all,

Looking for some help and suggestions on where I may find examples of:

1. The benefits to staff of ISO certification.

2. Basic staff training ideas/presentations/templates.

Thanks for all the help to-date, finally starting to see a little (very little) light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers from Oz
Jeff.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hello all,

Thanks for all the help to-date, finally starting to see a little (very little) light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers from Oz
Jeff.
G'day Jeff.

Benefits of ISO certification? Not just implementing an ISO based system?

Well, those can include your organization being more 'attractive' to do business with - you win orders which only go to ISO reg companies.
Reduced customer audits, internal improvements from having an auditor point out improvements and a stronger supply chain are just 4 that come to mind.

What are you planning on training in? ISO certification? Don't bother - put it in a news letter or something. People don't need training. Or, put another way, do you need everyone to be 'competent' in ISO, certification etc? Probably not!

Last edited:
M

Migre

Go about educating staff in the general business improvements which certification should bring to the organisation rather than specific ISO certification - it should make them a little more receptive to what you're trying to say and therefore make it a little easier for you. It's been mentioned many times previously on this forum so do a search for the eight quality principles on which ISO 9001 is based - these are the easy-to-understand factors which should really strike a chord with staff. The last thing you want to do is baffle them from the start - I've seen that happen on a few occasions and it can take an age to rectify.

A

Aussie Jeff

Guys - thanks so much for the advice and information - again some very useful information.

Having read and digested the advice given I plan to embark on a "information crusade" - our staff know how to do their jobs and they do it very well, so I think that it is best just to let them know what will happen over the next few months - our initial independent "Gap Audit" is scheduled for September 1st and 2nd.

So ideally I will give them some information about what to expect at the audit and how best to deal with the audit process. I think that I will release “snippets” of information through our internal newsletter, on notice boards, messages in pay slips and a couple of quick 10 or 15 minute presentations.

Anyway I hope that this approach will work.

Cheers
Jeff.

:thanx:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello all,

Cheers from Oz
Jeff.

Aussie Jeff,

Instead of selling the benefits of certification why not train your leaders to develop their seminar for training the employees in the obligations and benefits of using and improving their management system?

Under no circumstances give the impression that certification is the main reason for developing the management system and hopefully you have named your system after your company instead of referring to it as the "ISO System" on the "I drive".

Here is the non-ISO non-certification message:

If we are to grow we must ensure that our work adds value for customers faster than our competitors. To achieve this we must:

• Develop our system
  • Use our system to provide confidence that requirements will be fulfilled
  • Continually improve our process for converting the needs of more customers into cash in the bank
I'd avoid trying to sell ISO and certification because they both obscure what is really important - leaders showing their commitment to the use and improvement of their management system so it helps the employees do even better work for customers.

John

A

Aussie Jeff

Excellent point John - I think that I was beginning to take aim in the wrong direction - thank you for re focusing my objectives.

This is all very, very new to me and I look at myself as a “work in progress” with an awful lot to learn. But I am finding this forum a sensational resource with a wealth of information and tips. I spend so much of my “spare” time reading through old posts and attachments extracting what I think will be useful information.

John thank you for taking the time to lodge this post, I appreciate your assistance and advice.

Cheers
Jeff.

F

Freddiem11

On a somewhat related topic, I searched the posts for Business Case discussions with no luck. Can anyone point to or provide an ISO 9000 business case study?

J

JaneB

On a somewhat related topic, I searched the posts for Business Case discussions with no luck. Can anyone point to or provide an ISO 9000 business case study?
Not a BC, but someone already published alink to a paper from Harvard Business School - draft paper called ISO 9001 and Job Quality which you can get from here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Training Records - assembly line staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
K Quality Management System Training for Staff during this lull period Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
C Certificate of Conformity Competence - Training Staff the Responsibilities of Signing Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R Training my Quality Staff of 4 Inspectors (plus 4 Specialty Inspectors) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
J Certifying Staff Training in a Part 21/145 organisation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Evaluation of Training for Operational Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J How do we determine our Staff Competecy Levels - 6.2.2 Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Z Top Management (Exempt Staff) vs. Training and Competency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
W 5S Training Materials (Videos & Handouts) for production staff? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
K Training Modules for Quality Assurance for Staff Skill Enhancement Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Evaulation of Operator and Staff Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
K Training Module for QA (Quality Assurance) staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
F Has anyone got any examples of staff training records, training plans, etc.? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
C Competence, awareness and training - Some staff refuse to give educational info ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
I General Staff TRAINING in ISO 9001 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
D Recording training of staff in new/revised procedures Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
J Quality Training - Types of courses in Quality suitable for lower management staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
adir88 Qualifying Temporary Staff as Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
L Job Aids for administrative staff in GLP environment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Defining staff competence - Small mechanical workshop Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 20
JoshuaFroud Change Control - Minimum Requirements and Unhappy Staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
samer Do we have to determine Educational level for all Staff as pr 7.2 b clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
R How to Train Staff for Critical Thinking Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Value-Added Analysis - Staff (Employee) Satisfaction Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
M Calibration Certification Qualification vs. Verification by Uncertified Staff General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T ISO 9001:2008 Management Representative and other Management Staff ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
T Staff Acknowledgements for Policy Revisions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
B Performance Evaluation for my boutique's Sales Staff Benchmarking 7
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P General Manager jumps down to directly contact my staff Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
P Seconded Staff and Temporary Assignments Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
K Staff sees no tangible ISO 9001 benefits in 12 months Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Pharmaceutical Risk Assessment - Use of Medical Staff Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
V Is there a retirement age for FDA staff? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Staff Awareness of the Importance of their Activities - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2d Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
S Dreading an Ineffective External Audit and the impact it will have on staff General Auditing Discussions 1
T Quality Staff - Independence (ISO 13485 Clause 5.5.1) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O Should Staff be allowed to see Management Review Meeting Minutes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
O Should Staff have Access to see Internal and/or CB Audit Results? Internal Auditing 5
A Rate of Staff Leaving the Organization vs. Staff Joining the Organization Benchmarking 4
R Implementing ISO 14001 - How do you Communicate to All the other Staff? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
K What are the Advantages of ISO 9001 for Staff Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
C How to publicize our ISO certificate to our staff and to our customers? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
K How is it possible for a staff member to be a Food Safety Team Lead? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J 'Competency of Staff' Evaluation Method Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8