Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Standard for Marking Traceability ID Characters onto a Part



We have thousands of part prints, and most of our parts require traceability. We do this by stamping, etching, etc. the Trace ID into each component. My problem is that there is no consistency as to how to show the required marking on the part print. Some prints want the lettering to be .060" in height, other 1/8". Some dimension the placement to the bottom of the lettering, some to the center. Some prints call out a tolerance for lettering placement, some don't. (I hope this makes sense!) I believe we need standard work so all the engineers are doing it the same way. I've been googling, but cannot find an existing standard. Does one exist, or is someone willing to share any standard work that might help? Thank you.


I'm not aware of any standard, but there are tons of people far well versed in the standards than I am in the Cove

I will say that you have to be careful where/how you stamp or etch because it acts as a stress concentration and increases the likelyhood of a part failure, which could be the reason for so many different specs on how it's done. (Larger parts will be able to tolerate deeper etching and stamping). The radius of the groove, depth, etc all play a part. (Pun slightly intended). Additionally, if the part is under a dynamic load, the stress concentration changes based on that as well.


I don't know of any such standard. We have multiple global-OEM customers that have such rules for their suppliers, and none of them are consistent.

Michael T

Good afternoon... and greetings to a fellow Clevelander... :bigwave:

I'm not sure what product you make, but there are a couple of options for you...

MIL-STD-130N (Department of Defense Standard Practice - Identification Marking of U.S. Military Property) is quite extensive about marking requirements (methods, size of characters, etc.)

MSS-SP-25 (Standard Marking System for Valves, Fittings, Flanges and Unions) is quite a bit smaller, but also provides good information as well.

Edit: Oh... I forgot SAE Aerospace Standard AS478 (Identification Marking Methods)

I think either of these standards could be used as a basis to develop your own marking specifications.

Hope this helps!!!


Top Bottom