Standards referenced in ISO 3834-2 Welding

C

claire_deen

Hi guys,

How are you all? I'm working on ISO 3834-2 and am wanting to ask those of you who are familiar with this standard if it is absolutely essential to also comply with the huge list of relevant ISO documents given in ISO 3834-5. As an example:

In 3834-2 clause 10.3 Qualification of the welding procedures it states that there are other ISO documents given in table 5 of 3834-5 with which you must comply with. For arc welding there are 14 ISO docs!!

Can this be serious!!!

I haven't came across this before and was just wondering if it is actually essential to purchase a huge amount of ISO docs?

Thanks again,
Confused Claire :)

T

TamTom

Re: ISO 3834-2 Welding

Hi guys,

How are you all? I'm working on ISO 3834-2 and am wanting to ask those of you who are familiar with this standard if it is absolutely essential to also comply with the huge list of relevant ISO documents given in ISO 3834-5. As an example:

In 3834-2 clause 10.3 Qualification of the welding procedures it states that there are other ISO documents given in table 5 of 3834-5 with which you must comply with. For arc welding there are 14 ISO docs!!

Can this be serious!!!

I haven't came across this before and was just wondering if it is actually essential to purchase a huge amount of ISO docs?

Thanks again,

Hello,

yes and no this is serious!! :mad: Yes you must follow each standard named for your kind of welding under the tables, so in case of arc welding from table 4 ISO 15609-1 is valid for WPS, etc., the high number in table 5 under arc welding is because of the material you weld, there are different one for stell, aluminuim, copper etc, so normally only one (for us 15614-7) is the one you need.

But this still leaves a high number of follow-up documents to fullfill.

This is a very difficult topic, Good Luck.

But if you already have a QM-system according to ISO 9001 and perform welding qualifications for customers, you should not be to far away from the target.

Greetings

TamTom

Last edited by a moderator:
C

claire_deen

:mad::( This is ridiculous!!! Thank you for your reply. I was thinking it had to be some kind of joke. You saying that the ISO docs depend on certain materials etc makes it SLIGHTLY better.

I can tell you have had a lot of frustration with this so I thank you for your help.

Claire :agree1:

harry

Trusted Information Resource

For arc welding there are 14 ISO docs!!

Do not be overwhelmed by all these. Actually, most of them are nothing new. In the old days, they come in the form of good practices, contract conditions or specifications, ASTM, BS, DIN, JIS standards and so on - very confusing at times. Now, most are organized under the ISO umbrella and I think it is a move in the right direction.

Ask the old timers and they will tell you that they had been following many of these for ages.

C

claire_deen

Thanks guys, it maybe a bit more manageable than I first thought. Is it necessary for all these requirements to be scattered througout so many ISO docs though? Is that just for manking money?

Claire

C

claire_deen

Some of the ISo docs I'm looking up say that the use of the doc may be restricted by an application standard or a specification. Can anyone explain that in laymans terms?

Thanks again,
Claire :blowup:

T

TamTom

Some of the ISo docs I'm looking up say that the use of the doc may be restricted by an application standard or a specification. Can anyone explain that in laymans terms?

Thanks again,
Claire :blowup:

Hello,

Could you be more specific in what doc and under what chapter that is mentioned, becuase I have two very different ideas what that could be:

Customer or material specifications or the restriction of the welding procedure?

Regards,

TamTom

C

claire_deen

Hi there,

Sorry didn't answer sooner. In the ISO 3834-5 there are a lot of other ISO documents you are supposed to refer to. I took note of them all and checked the BSI website to see exactly what they were for. There is an abstract for some of them that say the use of the doc can be restricted. Would you really need to buy them before knowing if they cannot be used?

Thank you again,
Claire

K

katchani

Hi,

I know 13 numbers.Could you give the details of the 14th one?

BSEN ISO 15614-1 : Arc and gas welding of steels and arc welding of nickel and nickel alloys.
BSEN ISO 15614-2: Arc welding of aluminium and its alloys
BSEN ISO 15614-3: Fusion and pressure welding of non-alloyed and low-alloyed cast irons
BSEN ISO 15614-4: Finishing welding of aluminium castings
BSEN ISO 15614-5: Arc welding of titanium, zirconium and their alloys
BSEN ISO 15614-6: Arc and gas welding of copper and its alloys
BSEN ISO 15614-7: Overlay welding
BSEN ISO 15614-8: Welding of tubes to tube-plate joints
BSEN ISO 15614-9: Underwater hyperbaric wet welding
BSEN ISO 15614-10: Hyperbaric dry welding
BSEN ISO 15614-11: Electron and laser beam welding
BSEN ISO 15614-12: Spot, seam and projection welding
BSEN ISO 15614-13: Resistance butt and flash welding

Hi guys,

Can this be serious!!!

Thanks again,

T

TamTom

Hello,

this is not what Claire ment, in the ISo 3834-2 not only the 15614-x is refered, so in total she count 14.

Take a look in the ISo 3834-2 and you will see.

Claire, I just saw that nobody answered you question about restrictions, do you have a solutation know?

Regards,

TamTom

Top Bottom