Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons?

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
Hey all.

I work for a small medical device contract manufacturer/contract service provider. We currently use IHS to track our standards, and it's time to renew our subscription.

We only have a dozen or so standards on the watch list, and I've only referenced maybe a handful of them over the last year or so, so I'm curious about: 1) is it worth maintaining a subscription to something used so sporadically, 2) Do others use similar services? If so, which ones, and are you happy with them?, and 3) Is there a different method, especially considering our size? I'm debating creating a table with the standards we have/ and use, revision/review dates, standard status, etc. and just periodically reviewing the table for changes in the standards, and going away from the subscription altogether.

Thanks much!

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
I have an IHS subscription for certain current standards and use their tracker, but at a previous company I used techstreet's free tracker and bought standards on the open market -
Techstreet tracker

ASTM has a free tracker for their standards too

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
I have an IHS subscription for certain current standards and use their tracker, but at a previous company I used techstreet's free tracker and bought standards on the open market -
Techstreet tracker

ASTM has a free tracker for their standards too
This is essentially the alternative I'm considering. Do you find the IHS subscription to be better (open for you to define), or the Techstreet/ASTM/open market combo?

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
It's been a few years since I used the Techstreet tracker but I don't recall much difference if any between them and IHS. They all fall short with respect to EN standards in that neither track against the Official Journal. And worse yet, for my subscription to EN standards, IHS will remove an EN standard from the subscription and replace it with the new standard even when the OJEU still shows the old standard. So at the end of the day, I have to "manage" things more than I would like to.

Top Bottom