Star Trek and ISO - The Ferengi ?Great Material Continuum?

Randy

Super Moderator
Star Trek and ISO

Even fictional characters in the Star Trek series (Deep Space Nine in particular) recognize the needs of customers and suppliers. I thought this was cool the 1st time I heard it and I have actually applied it in some training sessions.

The Ferengi “Great Material Continuum”

"You have to have faith… in the Great Material Continuum… the force that binds the universe together… (everywhere) in the universe, there are (places) filled with too much of one thing and not enough of another and the Great Continuum flows through them all like a mighty river: from 'have' to 'want' and back again. And if we navigate the Continuum with skill and grace our (lives) will be filled with everything our hearts desire… Trust and the river will provide." - "Nog" ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine")

What is required are tools or instruments to help navigate the treacherous waters of the Continuum.

The Continuum is the Business World, The “Haves” are the suppliers and the “Wants” are the customers. ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 are navigation tools that brings them both together. -Randy Daily

Cool!!;)

Attachments

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
From what I'm reading in another thread, the Ferengi must be running PJ -- no scruples they'll do anything for money. I wonder if PJ lets their women employees wear clothes?:vfunny:

Not to change the subject, but.....

Okay, to change the subject.....

During some of my USAR Officer training, we looked at the Star Trek model for management. We compared Kirk’s leadership qualities to Picard’s. We even looked at Clint Eastwood’s role in “Heartbreak Ridge”. Really quite fascinating stuff.

As we look to implementing a QMS, EMS, or even just a good “quality” program, we need to interact with management. The better we can identify the management style, the better we can present things in terms that management can relate to.

Sometimes fiction can assist us in dealing with reality (or in my case avoiding it)!

E

energy

Absolutely

db said:

During some of my USAR Officer training, we looked at the Star Trek model for management. We compared Kirk’s leadership qualities to Picard’s. We even looked at Clint Eastwood’s role in “Heartbreak Ridge”. Really quite fascinating stuff.

Sometimes fiction can assist us in dealing with reality (or in my case avoiding it)!
Let's not forget Private Pyle's management issue/resolution in "Full Metal Jacket". :vfunny: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc How Star Trek artists imagined the iPad… nearly 30 years ago Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Hershal Star Trek Beyond (ST 13) - 2016 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Marc Who commanded Star Trek starship USS Enterprise-E (model NCC-1701-E) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
CarolX Star Trek XI will begin filming this fall for Christmas 2008 release - It's official! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Marc 40th Anniversary of the original Star Trek - From the I'm Getting Old Department World News 22
Hershal Star Trek 2.0 that the cable channel Q4 is advertising Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Wes Bucey Star Trek fans - tough news - Scotty Battling Alzheimer's Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
RoxaneB Quality Policy a la Star Trek Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
Randy Star Trek stuff Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 71
CarolX Ferengi Rules Of Aquisition - Star Trek Series Deep Space Nine Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 55
Ajit Basrur Congratulations Steve Prevette on getting a Silver Star Covegratulations 11
Ronen E Congratulations Somashekar for getting the Silver Star Covegratulations 9
BradM Covegratulations to BevD - 15,000 Karma points and a silver star Covegratulations 15
Sidney Vianna Covegratulations to Ajit Basrur - 15,000 Karma points and a silver star Covegratulations 22
J Baseball Predictions - Just past the all Star Break... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Hershal Update for EPA Energy Star and question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Claes Gefvenberg Silver Star for BradM Covegratulations 23
Hershal Who among users here is involved in ENERGY STAR? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 8
Marc Carbonite Stacks the Deck With 5-Star Reviews After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
L Preparing for a Hyundai 5 Star Audit General Auditing Discussions 2
A Qualifying a CMM Star Probe - Brown/Sharpe CMM Model Gage 2000 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Marc Reporter Discovers People Living In Original Star Wars Set Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
apestate CMM Star Probe Numbering - Bottom, Back, Left, Front, Right vs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Star Wars Books - Anyone Else read/reading them? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C CCp : Composite Cp. A new star born (?!) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Wes Bucey Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 53
Marc ThinkFree Office Suite and Star Office Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
A ISO 11607-1: 2019 main changes Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
G National Structural Steel Specification 7th Edition - Do I now have to be audited against ISO 3843-3 as well as ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L How to understand the clause 6 Planning of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B ISO 8536-4 Contamination Index ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
S Practical Implementation of ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Getting started in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P ISO 80369 and endoscope port/lumen Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
C ISO 639-1 Languages Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S ECG Cable Banana to Snap or Tab electrode Adapters -- ISO 10993 Requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1