Start Up of a small AS9100 Machine Shop

A

Atomic Aero

Hello All,

As the Title mentions I am in the process of developing my first machine shop.

A little background on myself. I have been in the industry for 18 years, starting with ink stamping parts, mechanical inspection and working my way to program management. Now that my current business owner has ran his shop into the ground it allows me to start this adventure.

I have a couple questions that I'm looking for help with.

1. Has anyone purchased any AS9100 product from the website AS9100store.com?

2. Does the QMS, forms and procedures cover all of the standard requirements?

3. Would it cover the operations of a 3-4 man shop? (I'm sure some of the verbiage would have to be re-written to eliminate any conflicts of interest)

They seem to offer the all in one package. This seems to be the easiest way to get the Quality System in place. I have working knowledge of the standards so it should be easy enough to get started.

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
Welcome Jason:
You'll find a great deal of help here. Others will weigh in but my advice is be careful about QMS in a can approaches, without really understanding you may also have to do a good deal of work to modify them to suit, so much so, that you might have done a more effective job to start from scratch!

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello All,

A little background on myself. I have been in the industry for 18 years, starting with ink stamping parts, mechanical inspection and working my way to program management. Now that my current business owner has ran his shop into the ground it allows me to start this adventure.

3. Would it cover the operations of a 3-4 man shop? (I'm sure some of the verbiage would have to be re-written to eliminate any conflicts of interest)

They seem to offer the all in one package. This seems to be the easiest way to get the Quality System in place. I have working knowledge of the standards so it should be easy enough to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
As AndyN stated - stay away from canned products - you get what you pay for half the time and the other time you pay to fix.

First purchase the AS9101D and use the checklist "OER" and do a GAP Analysis of where you are (go line by line and make notes).

Come back to us if you get stuck or begin to over think it.

GO - Start the process and don't create a monster that will drive you instead - you should drive it to efficiency, lean and effective.

Michael_M

Quite Involved in Discussions
AS9100 is a format for a Quality Management System. It generally tells you what you have to do and what you should do, but it does not tell you how to do. How to do is as important as what to do.

For example, in purchasing, the standard tells you that you have to "Maintain a register of its suppliers that includes approval status.....". This tells says you have to do this, but how you do this is entirely up to you. This is an important concept because how you do something needs to fit within your companies goals, objectives, and abilities. You will do things different than a company of 100 with a dedicated purchasing staff.

QA_Newbie2000

Inactive Registered Visitor
Not to ask a dumb question but why AS9100 Vs ISO9001?
Do you have a customer requirement for AS?
Is there any type of QMS in place now?

John Broomfield

Fully retired...
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Jason,

Your shop already is run by a management system for determining and meeting requirements.

Seek to understand, respect and develop that system instead of importing one from a can or from the standard itself.

You'll find lots of help here at the Cove. Search for "developing a process-based management system". Follow that methodology and you'll find the at least 85% of the specifued processes and controls are already in place.

You'll then have a strong and familiar set of your own procedures specifying the controls used to meet ASD requirements into which you can interweave new processes and their procedures to help manage continual improvement.

Of course, you'll need to train folks responsible for the new processes to make them a reality and the train the leaders on their management system so they can make folk aware of their commitment to requirements. You can use the Cove for advice on that too.

John