Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop

Hi, jj.

I'm confused about why a supplier of replacement parts to a lumber mill would have to comply with aerospace FAI? I'm thinking the same as Al - is someone saying FAI when they mean FPA (First Piece Approval)?
You're absolutely correct Cari, I'll bring it up in my meeting today. We are all talking about the same thing, just getting hung up on the terminology. FPA has different implications than an FAI. And I have been questioned about trying to implement aerospace requirements when we really don't need them. Do you think there are better examples of Quality requirements that I need to use other than Aerospace? I'm not trying to make things harder to manufacture, but I want to insure that we can make good, quality parts at a low price without getting hung up in inspection all the time.

You're absolutely correct Cari, I'll bring it up in my meeting today. We are all talking about the same thing, just getting hung up on the terminology. FPA has different implications than an FAI. And I have been questioned about trying to implement aerospace requirements when we really don't need them. Do you think there are better examples of Quality requirements that I need to use other than Aerospace? I'm not trying to make things harder to manufacture, but I want to insure that we can make good, quality parts at a low price without getting hung up in inspection all the time.
I would say unlearn your aerospace/automotive jargon and learn the company jargon. When someone says "First Article Inspection" you need to confirm what they mean. I would use more generic quality standards as a guide -- ie; scale down auto/aerospace for your company.

Top Bottom