Starting Sustainability Initiatives in our Organization

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
We are starting the Sustainability initiatives in our organization and focusing on the Triple Bottom Line - planet, people and profit.

Any headsup or advice that will be helful for my understanding is highly appreciated. Are there any good weblinks that I could refer.

Many thanks in advance. :thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
We are starting the Sustainability initiatives in our organization and focusing on the Triple Bottom Line - planet, people and profit.

Any headsup or advice that will be helful for my understanding is highly appreciated. Are there any good weblinks that I could refer.

www.eicc.info

This has a good focus on the subject ...

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

Ajit, as with any "initiative", it is CRITICAL that top management sees this as a long term, wise investment; otherwise their support will be fickle. Suggest you peruse the long term data of company's financial performance vis a vis their sustainability ratings: Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes.

CORPORATE SUSTAINABILITY

Corporate Sustainability is a business approach that creates long-term shareholder value by embracing opportunities and managing risks deriving from economic, environmental and social developments. Corporate sustainability leaders achieve long-term shareholder value by gearing their strategies and management to harness the market's potential for sustainability products and services while at the same time successfully reducing and avoiding sustainability costs and risks.

The quality of a company's strategy and management and its performance in dealing with opportunities and risks deriving from economic, environmental and social developments can be quantified and used to identify and select leading companies for investment purposes.

Leading sustainability companies display high levels of competence in addressing global and industry challenges in a variety of areas:
Strategy: Integrating long-term economic, environmental and social aspects in their business strategies while maintaining global competitiveness and brand reputation.

Financial: Meeting shareholders' demands for sound financial returns, long-term economic growth, open communication and transparent financial accounting.

Customer & Product: Fostering loyalty by investing in customer relationship management and product and service innovation that focuses on technologies and systems, which use financial, natural and social resources in an efficient, effective and economic manner over the long-term.

Governance and Stakeholder: Setting the highest standards of corporate governance and stakeholder engagement, including corporate codes of conduct and public reporting.

Human: Managing human resources to maintain workforce capabilities and employee satisfaction through best-in-class organisational learning and knowledge management practices and remuneration and benefit programs.
Corporate sustainability performance is an investable concept. This is crucial in driving interest and investments in sustainability to the mutual benefit of companies and investors. As this benefit circle strengthens, it will have a positive effect on the societies and economies of both the developed and developing world.
As with six-sigma, I believe that the megatrend of sustainability does not really create any "new" methodology, but aggregates a number of business excellence practices towards long term prosperity of an organization. To my dismay, most resources on "sustainability" practices totally ignore the QUALITY MANAGEMENT side of sustainability. Just looking at the title of ISO 9004:2009 should remind us that quality has a critical role towards sustainable development. I am currently working on a paper to show how important proper quality management piece is in the puzzle named sustainability.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Is the management driving this from within with a total dedication and commitment towards sustainability ... ?
Yes, its a Corporation wide initiative with a Sustainability Council formed with members from all regions and sgements of the Business. We just had our first teleconference of the Council members and shall have a first meeting next month.

Dear Ajit,

I have not seen this thread before sending you a reply to your mail. You may like to see www.wbcsd.org. I am also attaching the syllabus of a half a credit course on CSR/Sustainability that I teach the MBA students of the University of Pune; this will give you a bird's eye view of the subjects involved.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Marc Goldsmiths University will take beef products off the menu starting in September 2019 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 19
jjmusicjr Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
supadrai ISO 27000 - Starting from Scratch for a Smallish Law Firm IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C I'm starting my Career in Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Starting from the factory floor get any respect? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
C FMEA Starting point FMEA and Control Plans 7
LeonelAguilar352 Starting an Internal Audit - Help with the basics Internal Auditing 12
M Contract Manufacturer 510K Starting Point 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
L Hand-starting threaded fasteners Benchmarking 3
D Just starting out looking to get into a quality engineer position Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Starting a Quality Department from Scratch and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
M Starting out toward compliance Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B Starting a small boutique and looking for business ideas Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M Starting ISO 17025 Accreditation from scratch - Petroleum Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
N Overwhelmed starting a new aviation related business AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 19
Oldrice Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
Jen Kirley Starting Something New Career and Occupation Discussions 104
bobdoering Finally, evidence that people are starting to care about Apple computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
M Implementing a Quality System - Just starting out..... in over my head. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
E Starting Nadcap Accreditation and making an Implementation Timeline AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
F Starting a Quality Control Program and writing a Quality Control Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
T Document Control Revision - Starting Over Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q How raise en ECO starting from a NC - ECO after NCR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Template for starting up new manufacturing facility in our company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
A Starting Supplier Management System in a Company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
K Starting a new Calibration and Repair Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
B Starting a business in Dubai Career and Occupation Discussions 1
B Implementing APQP - Starting a fresh.... APQP and PPAP 6
R ANSI Z1.9 AQL 0.4 - What are the starting equipment expectations? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K Starting an ISO 17025 Accredited Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
M Petrol (Gasoline) Prices Around the World - Part Trois Starting January 2011 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
C Starting an MSA study - How to decide which is appropriate or required Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Starting In-Process Quality Inspection in the Production Shopfloor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
C Rebuilding the QMS - What is a good starting point? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
Z Long Term Measurement Logging for Machine Shop - Starting with a clean slate Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Starting to write a Quality System Manual - Import/export medical devices - Need help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Starting up a new Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Starting a new Quality System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Starting the journey (ISO 9000 awareness) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T CE Marking regulation of construction products starting on January 2009 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Tips for JUMP STARTING Job/Career Search? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
Ajit Basrur Starting ISO 14064 Green House Gas (GHG) program Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 9
M Starting a quality Department - What are the things I need to initiate it? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
R Starting fresh with ISO 13485:2003 certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Is a copy of the ISO 9001 Standard necessary before starting an implementation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
J Would you recommend starting at Yellow Belt or go straight to Black Belt? Six Sigma 7
C Starting SPC program - Am I understanding and doing it right? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23