Statistical methods in ISO 9001:2000

J

Jase Eyre

Hi y'all

A company here in Australia is sending out promotional material that states the following:

"Inevitable changes to ISO/QS9000 make the use of statistical methods compulsory to ALL organisations that wish to meet the standard. Don't let this become a burden, attend our seminars..."

I wasn't aware that statistical process control methods were 'compulsory' in the new standard. That certainly wasn't how I read it. Am I wrong?

------------------
JasE

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

How else can you scare up some attendees to a seminar on stats? (rhetorical question - sorry)

9001:1991 Requires us to identify the need for statistical techniques required.
9001:2000 (draft) Requires us to determine the need for statistical techniques.
Identify vs Determine.
I believe ISO is merely re-enforcing the stance that if you don't apply statistical techniques then you must be able to prove (objective evidence) that such a determination took place, and that it is appropriate to your business.

Do you have measuring and monitoring systems?
Should you have measuring and monitoring systems?
If not, prove to me how you DETERMINED that there would be no benefit to the organisation or the customer in applying statistical techniques!

------------------

A

Andy Bassett

Im not sure of the detail, but after my brief reading for the new standard i beleive that they are seeking more statistical or objective evidence that the system is working and that your customers are satisfied.

With this in mind i wont be lauching extra SPC activities, but i will encourage customers to gather more objective evidence(stats if possible) that all is well ie Customer Satisfaction Surveys, Measurements for each Process etc.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by David Mullins:

Identify vs Determine.

I believe ISO is merely re-enforcing the stance that if you don't apply statistical techniques then you must be able to prove (objective evidence) that such a determination took place, and that it is appropriate to your business.

Do you have measuring and monitoring systems?
Should you have measuring and monitoring systems?
If not, prove to me how you DETERMINED that there would be no benefit to the organisation or the customer in applying statistical techniques!
I agree. Misinformation is rampany, especially when some lamer is trying to hawk their software, seminars, canned procedures and such.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Andy Bassett:

....i beleive that they are seeking more statistical or objective evidence that the system is working and that your customers are satisfied.

With this in mind i wont be lauching extra SPC activities, but i will encourage customers to gather more objective evidence(stats if possible) that all is well ie Customer Satisfaction Surveys, Measurements for each Process etc.
I separated SPC from Statistical Techniques long ago. SPC is only 1 of many, many possible statistical techniques. I think you're making a wise decision.

L

Laura M

Let me qualify my statement by saying I haven't read ISO9000:y2k. Having said that, I wonder if the emphasis on continuous improvement is of the same vain as in QS9000...page 19...."the supplier shall develop a prioritized action plan for continuous improvement in processes that have demonstrated stability, acceptable capability and performance" Note above provides further clarrification. This would imply uses of statistical analysis.

Just a thought...again, I don't know the CI language in ISO9000:y2k

Laura

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Laura M:

....This would imply uses of statistical analysis.
I have only had 2 clients who got away with no statistical techniques. Both were small ( <20 people) and could show they considered possible places to use statistical techniques but did not feel (believe or whatever) that statistics would benefit them. Auditors have a hard time with this (as do I to some degree) however the requirement was not, nor do I believe it is in the new version, outright required. Reality is larger companies have little choice. Like the US Census, to 'measure' the country (quite a few people and since everyone won't stand in one place for a year or two so they can be counted 1 by 1) requires (despite republicans requiring adhereance to an outdated interpretation of 'Talk to every single sole') statistical analysis techniques. On the other hand, to inventory your house and the houses of 2 of your neighbors ONLY really doesn't lend its self to statistical analysis unless you plan to interpolate the findings to predict what you will find in the country as a whole (population prediction).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Appropriate Statistical Methods to set up an Alert/Warning Limit Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
C Applying Statistical Analysis Methods to Work Safety Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
R TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1.3 - Statistical Methods of Verification of Job Set-ups IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H Statistical Methods in Welding, Drilling and Cutting Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J A First Course in Quality Engineering: Integrating Statistical and Management Methods Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
A Statistical methods for setup verifications - One of the OFIs the auditor suggested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C Statistical methods could have caught UK mass murderer sooner! World News 3
B Statistical and Quality Methods training - I'm looking for good training seminars Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N Electronic teaching of statistical methods Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Laboratory Statistical Methods and the Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Z Laboratory Statistical Methods - 4.10.6.6 in QS-9000 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
Marc 4.10.6.6 Laboratory Statistical Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Marc 4.10.6.6 Lab Statistical Methods QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
John Predmore Interactive visualization through graphical simulation of statistical concepts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Bev D Profound Statistical Concepts Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 63
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
optomist1 It’s time to talk about ditching statistical significance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
ScottK Statistical basis for 30 pieces for FAI 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B IATF 16949 clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Statistical Process Control and Inspection in Footwear Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Steve Prevette Statistical Process Control Library Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Marc Happy Birthday Statistical Steven - 2015 Covegratulations 10
L When are Statistical techniques not applicable? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Common Statistical Errors Using Minitab Software 1
Y Statistical Analysis of Road Traffic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
B Class II Medical Device Manufacturer - SOP for 820.250 Statistical 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Correct Statistical Test comparing 2 Groups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
V Validation of macro - scripts - programs used in statistical software (Minitab-SAS... Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Moncia Statistical Process Control Crash Course - Question Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
H Statistical Models for Predictive Management of Software Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
A Statistical Correlation between ordered SKUs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Minitab and Crystal Ball Statistical Analysis Software Using Minitab Software 13
M Determining if two different X's have any Statistical Significance on the Y's Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4